[Staff Assembly] Newsletter - January 17, 2012

UCLA Staff Assembly staffassembly at ucla.edu
Tue Jan 17 11:09:08 PST 2012

If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may  <http://staffassembly.ucla.edu/newsletter/> see it online.

 <http://www.staffassembly.ucla.edu/>

 <http://www.staffassembly.ucla.edu/beapartner/> Be a Partner

 <http://www.staffassembly.ucla.edu/newsletter/> Newsletter Archive

 <http://www.staffassembly.ucla.edu/calendar/> Events Calendar

 <http://www.staffassembly.ucla.edu/twitter>   <http://www.staffassembly.ucla.edu/twitter> Follow us on Twitter

 <http://www.staffassembly.ucla.edu/facebook>   <http://www.staffassembly.ucla.edu/facebook> Find us on Facebook

Newsletter – January 17, 2012

The following are some programs/events around campus that may be of interest to you.  For additional information, please contact the person listed for each of the events

  _____

Save the Date
Small Business Resource Fair

January 31, 2012
10:30 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.
Ackerman Grand Ballroom

There will be a wide array of small business vendors available to discuss their products and services with campus customers. Prize drawings will occur throughout the event and the grand prize winner will be drawn at 12:45 p.m.

Light Refreshments will be available at 11:30 a.m.

  _____

Learn-at-Lunch
How to Spot a Liar

Wednesday January 25, 2012
12:00 pm - 01:00 pm
Student Activities Center B05
RSVP: http://ucla.in/A1hT8b

Almost everyone wants to know how to determine when someone is being deceptive, but detecting deception by a stranger during an oral exchange has proven to be difficult. Nonetheless, there are verbal, vocal, and visual-behavioral indicators that are more reliable than others. Most important, detecting deception with significant reliability requires certain strategic moves on the part of the interviewer during an investigative interview.

  _____

LGBT Campus Resource Center

·          January 17th 7pm-9pm, Kerckhoff Gallery - Transgressing Gender, Transforming Communities Exhibit Opening, Film Screening & Receptionhttp://www.facebook.com/events/259140117484516/
Join artist/filmmaker Leon Mostovoy at the “Death of my Daughter” exhibit opening and check out his award-winning film about the making of this art project. Attendees will also get to be part of an interactive installation in the gallery! A short program with the artist will be followed refreshments. Please RSVP to lgbt at saonet.ucla.edu.

·          January 17th – 26th 8am–11am, Kerckhoff Gallery - Death of my Daughter Photography Exhibit <http://www.facebook.com/events/259140117484516/>
Check out portraits by Transgender artist/educator Leon Mostovoy. 20 powerful images. 10 images of the women their families wanted them to be. 10 images of the men they are.

·          January 26th 4pm-6pm, Kerckhoff Gallery - Our Voices, Our Lives – Transgender Panel <http://www.facebook.com/events/259140117484516/>
Come hear voices of Transgender and Gender-non-conforming people speak about their lives and experiences, balancing gender, sexuality, race and many other intersections of identities. Refreshments will be served after the panel discussion.

Questions? Please contact Raja Bhattar, rbhattar at saonet.ucla.edu.

  _____

Staff and Faculty Counseling Center: Learn-at-Lunch Building Resilience

January 25th, 2012

12pm

NPI Auditorium

Resilience is an important attribute that allows us to better manage the challenges in our personal and professional lives.

This is a 3 part workshop that teaches practical tools to build and strengthen resilience.

1/25- Uncovering the Nine Pillars of Resilience

2/08- Changing Bad Habits, Ending Unhealthy Thinking, and Taking Control of Your Life

2/22- Parenting Resilient Children

http://www.chr.ucla.edu/chr/portaldocs/sfcc/sfccdoc-flyer-building-resilience.pdf

Questions? Please contact Lena Wu, lenawu at chr.ucla.edu

  _____

UCLA Volunteer Center

·         January 17-18, 2012 –  <http://usac.ucla.edu/csc/?p=485> CSC-SWC Winter Volunteer Fair on the Hill
Held on the Hill, the Fair exposes students to community service and health opportunities within the USAC Community Service Commission and USAC Student Welfare Commission. Featuring student group performances, exhibits of student involvement, and giveaways from the Volunteer Center and ASUCLA, the Fair hopes to highlight some of the ways in which students are contributing to their campus and their communities, and how anyone interested can get involved.

·         January 19, 2012 –  <http://volunteer.ucla.edu/power-of-one> Power of One Conference
New, intermediate, and expert leaders like yourself are invited to explore the Power of One – one person, group, community, or world. Hear from current student leaders and experts in the field; and get a chance to connect with UCLA and community groups that are looking for inspired leaders who are ready to take the next step in civic engagement. Sponsored by the UCLA Volunteer Center and the Office of Residential Life.

·         January 28, 2012 –  <http://volunteer.ucla.edu/one-bus-one-cause> One Bus, One Cause: Mark Twain School Garden
For several decades, the garden at Mark Twain Middle School has been key component of the school’s educational program and community. Students work in the garden during recess, lunch, and designated classes, and are highly enthusiastic about this special space. However, there are some tasks that they do not have the time or ability to tackle. On January 28th, UCLA volunteers will revamp the garden as part of UCLA’s first ever “One Bus, One Cause” event. Volunteers will create a space for a small auditorium, redesign and replant garden beds, remove weeds and debris, construct arbors to line pathways, and sort seeds, among other tasks. The time spent in the garden will be invaluable- not only for the students at Mark Twain Middle School, but for volunteers who will get to give back through this UCLA Volunteer Center flagship event!

·         February 7, 2012 –  <http://usac.ucla.edu/csc/?p=477> Non-profit Networking Night
Hosted by the USAC Community Service Commission, Volunteer Center, Career Center, and the Office of Residential Life, this night brings students and non-profit professionals together, providing Bruins with an opportunity to learn about job opportunities in the non-profit sector and gain general life advice about working in the field. Students will have the chance to network with a variety of nonprofit professionals and to engage in deeper conservation in an intimate setting.

·         February 11, 2012 –  <http://volunteer.ucla.edu/one-bus-one-cause> One Bus, One Cause: Angelus Senior Center
Fifty UCLA volunteers will assist Angelus Plaza residents and community seniors in the computer lab. The volunteers will work one-on-one with the seniors and provide handy tips for accessing the Internet, email, Social Security, Metro schedules, health and wellness topics, online shopping Websites, MapQuest and Google. Keep an eye on our One Bus, One Cause page for more information as we approach this date.

Recruit volunteers for your event by submitting your volunteer opportunity <http://ucla.in/nPUYF5>  on our website and Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/uclavolunteer> , join a campus service organization <http://ucla.in/uLkpHy> , or suggest a project <http://ucla.in/l1zHh1>  in need of volunteers.

  _____

UCLA Winter 2012 Concert Schedule

·         8 PM Thursday, January 26, 2012, Royce Hall -- UCLA PHILHARMONIA <http://www.facebook.com/events/164642730306572/>

·         12 PM Thursday, February 16, 2012, Tamkin Auditorium; Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center -- "Music at the Med"

·         UCLA OPERA - "Orpheus in the Underworld"

o    8 PM Friday, February 17, 2012 - Schoenberg Hall

o    2 PM Sunday, February 19, 2012- Schoenberg Hall

o    8 PM Thursday, February 23, 2012- Schoenberg Hall

o    2 PM Saturday, February 25, 2012- Schoenberg Hall

·         8 PM Wednesday, March 7, 2012, Schoenberg Hall; UCLA – UCLA SYMPHONY

·         8 PM Thursday, March 8, 2012, Schoenberg Hall -- chambermusic at ucla

·         8 PM Thursday March 15, 2012, Schoenberg Hall – UCLA PHILHARMONIA

·         6 PM Sunday March 18, 2012, Bing Theater; Los Angeles County Museum of Art – UCLA PHILHARMONIA

·         12 PM Wednesday, March 21, 2012, Tamkin Auditorium; Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center -- "Music at the Med"

Tickets may be purchased to all events through the UCLA Central Ticket Office (310-825-2101; www.tickets.ucla.edu) or at the door.

  _____

UCLA Athletics

UCLA Men’s Basketball Faculty and Staff Appreciation Days

2/9 vs. Stanford, TBA

2/11 vs. California, 1:00pm

3/1 vs. Washington State, 7:30pm

Buy one, get one free ticket offer on $30 upper level reserved seats (max 8).

Order online <https://oss.ticketmaster.com/html/go.htmI?l=EN&t=uclaathletics&o=9616730&g=90>  or call (310) UCLA-WIN or (310) 825-2946.  Use your UCLA e-mail address to access offer online.

Games to be played at the LA Sports Arena.  For game information visit www.uclabruins.com.

  _____

Iyengar Yoga for Young Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer with Persistent Fatigue
The Pediatric Pain Program at UCLA is conducting a study on Iyengar yoga for young adult survivors of childhood cancer experiencing persistent fatigue. Young adults aged 18-40 years, who were diagnosed with cancer before age 21 and who experience persistent fatigue may be eligible to participate. The study involves young people taking a 12-week course of yoga. If you live more than 25 miles from the yoga studio you will be compensated $20 per class for travel costs. Participants will also be asked to complete questionnaires and interviews before and after the yoga intervention. All yoga classes will be free, and we will cover any parking expenses. For more information, please call Dr. Subhadra Evans at (310) 475 3191 ext. 221.

Website: http://www.wholechildla.org/index.php?pid=MQ

  _____

UCLA LIVE

·          January 21, 2012 - Kathleen Battle: An Evening of Spirituals <http://www.uclalive.org/calendar/event_detail.asp?id=137>

·          January 27, 2012 - Lucinda Williams <http://www.uclalive.org/calendar/event_detail.asp?id=138>

·          January 28, 2012 - They Might Be Giants: A Special Family Show <http://www.uclalive.org/calendar/event_detail.asp?id=139>

·          January 28, 2012  - They Might Be Giants 30th Anniversary Show <http://www.uclalive.org/calendar/event_detail.asp?id=140>

·          February 10, 2012  - Hugh Masekela plus special guest <http://www.uclalive.org/calendar/event_detail.asp?id=141>

·          February 11, 2012 - Ravi Coltrane Quartet and Christian McBride Trio <http://www.uclalive.org/calendar/event_detail.asp?id=142>

·          February 16, 2012 - Itzhak Perlman featuring Rohan De Silva <http://www.uclalive.org/calendar/event_detail.asp?id=143>

·          February 23, 2012 - Max Raabe  <http://www.uclalive.org/calendar/event_detail.asp?id=144> & Palast Orchester: One Cannot Kiss Alone

UCLA staff get 15% all UCLA Live shows. Call UCLA Central Ticket Office at 310.825.2101 Questions? Please contact Jessica Wolf, jessica.wolf at arts.ucla.edu.

  _____

School of Public Health – Master of Public Health for Health Professionals Program
Are you interested in Health Promotion and Health Education?  UCLA's Master of Public Health for Health Professionals (MPH/HP) Program in Community Health Sciences is designed for working professionals seeking to attain leadership positions in public health while maintaining a full-time career. Through this highly cost-effective program, students are able to maintain their full-time working schedule and professional income. Combining in-class sessions and distance learning education, the 21-month program is intended to be fast-paced and demanding. The goal is to create a student-centered and supportive environment that produces unlimited opportunities for career success.  Please visit our website for further information www.ph.ucla.edu/mphhp.

Questions? Please contact Karen Diaz, kldiaz at ph.ucla.edu

  _____

UCLA Arts
Save the Date

Brain, Health and Creativity

Robert M. Bilder, Ph.D.

January 31, 2012 at 7pm in the EDA, Broad Art Center, UCLA

The intersection of the creative arts and neuroscience is not always a comfortable place. Artists may feel their work is misrepresented and deeply misunderstood, and neuroscientist may feel their strategies are being applied inappropriately to issues remain ill defined.

Running Risks on both sides, Dr. Bilder has taken on this challenge and examines the underpinnings of creative cognition in humans as well as in other species believed to display certain capacities for innovation and novel adaptation to their environments.

In this compelling lecture, Dr. Bilder identifies selected cognitive domains that are important contributors to the creative process and examines how the concept of creativity has been narrowed and defined in order to approach it as a target biological science.

  _____

Campus Cat Network
Care and Feeding of UCLA Campus Cats

UCLA is home to a small number of feral cats who are cared for by a group of volunteers drawn from staff and faculty – the “Campus Cat Network.”  Occasionally, new cats turn up on campus either as a result of abandonments or in new litters from cats we haven’t been able to trap.  Whenever we learn of a new cat on campus, we trap it, take it to the vet, and have it checked out and spayed or neutered.  If the cat is tame, it goes into foster care and then is put up for adoption during weekend adoption shows.  The Cat Network has a solid “core group” of supportive colleagues across campus, but new volunteers are always most welcome.  Network volunteers collaborate in a multifaceted program to maintain and care for these animals.

Volunteers are needed for any of the following:

•    replenishing food and water for feral cats who live at school.  We currently have three feeding sites located around the campus.  Estimated time commitment: half hour per week.  This is currently a significant need.

·          trapping new cats--trapping takes place in the in the early to late evening or, if you prefer, in the early morning, times when cats are most active.  We will provide the gear and all the training needed (it’s a pretty basic set-up process), and we always have volunteers trap in pairs for the sake of safety.  Estimated time commitment: one weekend evening or early morning every other month.

•    fostering adoptable kittens or cats who have been abandoned.  We provide detailed guidance on the process and large cages with plenty of room for cats to feel comfortable; they are not loose in your home.  This is a critical need whenever we trap an adoptable kitten or adult cat.

•    taking cats to adoption shows on weekends.  We work with Kitten Rescue at several locations in the area.

•    fund-raising.  Our program is entirely self-funded at this point.  If you have had experience with foundation grants or similar processes, your expertise would be most welcome.

For more information, please contact Dennis Lyday, Office of Student & Campus Life, ext. 54495, or  <mailto:dlyday at saonet.ucla.edu> dlyday at saonet.ucla.edu.

UCLA Staff Assembly
For inquiries, please contact  <mailto:staffassembly at ucla.edu> staffassembly at ucla.edu

To ensure that you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your address book or safe list.