[Staff Assembly] Newsletter - April 4, 2011

UCLA Staff Assembly staffassembly at ucla.edu
Tue Apr 5 01:54:41 PDT 2011

If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it online
<http://staffassembly.ucla.edu/newsletter/> .
 <http://www.staffassembly.ucla.edu/>

Be a Partner <http://www.staffassembly.ucla.edu/beapartner/> Newsletter
Archive <http://www.staffassembly.ucla.edu/newsletter/> Events Calendar
<http://www.staffassembly.ucla.edu/calendar/>
<http://www.staffassembly.ucla.edu/twitter> Follow us on Twitter
<http://www.staffassembly.ucla.edu/twitter>
<http://www.staffassembly.ucla.edu/facebook> Find us on Facebook
<http://www.staffassembly.ucla.edu/facebook>

Newsletter ­ April 4, 2011
The following are some programs/events around campus that may be of interest
to you.  For additional information, please contact the person listed for
each of the events
.

UCLA Extension would like input from UCLA staff!

We have been working with one of this year¹s Professional Development
Program (PDP) Teams, who has put together a survey for us directed toward
UCLA staff about UCLA Extension. We invite UCLA staff to take this survey
(the link is provided below). If you complete the survey before 5 pm (PDT)
Friday, April 15, 2011, you may choose to enter a drawing for a chance to
win a complimentary enrollment in a UCLA Extension course valued at up to
$525!*  One winner will be selected at random, and will be notified by email
shortly thereafter.

To begin the survey, please click on the following link:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8S7ZL7W
<http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8S7ZL7W>

This link is uniquely tied to this survey. If you have any questions or
difficulties with this survey, please email surveys at uclaextension.edu
<mailto:surveys at uclaextension.edu> .

Thank you very much for your participation.  We look forward to hearing from
you!

UCLA Extension
10995 Le Conte Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90024

*The survey will begin with qualifying questions for you to answer before
you are allowed to proceed. Please be assured that the information you
provide is completely voluntary and confidential. Survey results will be
viewed only in the aggregate, not as individual responses. The winner of the
drawing will have up to one year from the notification date to use the
awarded complimentary enrollment, which can be used for a course valued at
up to $525. This value cannot be applied to travel-study programs, intensive
programs, short courses, and full-time certificate programs.

Williams Institute 10th Anniversary Celebration & Annual Update Conference
The Williams Institute at the UCLA school of Law will celebrate 10 years of
impact advancing LGBT law and public policy. Events include a Founders
Dinner on April 7 at the UCLA's Chancellor's residence, hosted by UCLA
Chancellor Gene Block, a Gala Reception on April 8, and an conference on
April 7 & 8 on LGBT law and public policy. Conference is free and open to
the public.

Visit
http://www2.law.ucla.edu/williamsinstitute/programs/10thAnnualUpdate-Anniver
sary.html or contact the Williams Institute (williamsinstitute at law.ucla.edu)
for more information.

Reinventing Yourself Learn-at-Lunch Series
The Reinventing Yourself Learn-at-Lunch series has three more events:
Bringing Your Whole Self to Work; Changing Your Mind Through Mindfulness;
and Reinventing Your Body. Come learn practical tools, tips, and ideas that
will help you throughout the year.

Please visit
http://www.chr.ucla.edu/chr/portaldocs/sfcc/sfccdoc-flyer-bringing-your-whol
e-self-to-work.pdf or contact Lena Wu (lenawu at chr.ucla.edu) for details!

UCLA Philharmonia ­
April 16 Disney Hall Concert

We are thrilled to announce a milestone event in the history of The UCLA
Herb Alpert School of Music:  our first-ever HASOM Disney Hall performance
Saturday evening, April 16, 2011.  The concert, titled ³A Celebration of
World Music² and made possible through support from our School of Music and
the Latino Museum of History, Art and Culture, is part of the Los Angeles
Philharmonic¹s prestigious ³Sounds About Town² series and commemorates 50
years of ethnomusicology at UCLA.  It features our own UCLA Philharmonia
<http://www.music.ucla.edu/orchestra> , conductor Neal Stulberg
<http://www.music.ucla.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=164:
neal-stulberg-bio&catid=6&Itemid=225>  and distinguished HASOM faculty and
guest artists, including A. J. Racy
<http://musicology.ucla.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=112
9:aj-racy-bio&catid=7&Itemid=226> , James Newton
<http://www.jamesnewtonmusic.com/> , UC Regents¹ lecturer Arturo Márquez
<http://www.arturomarquez.org/>  (creator of the internationally popular
³Danzon² series of symphonic works and recent recipient of the National
Award for the Arts in Mexico), acclaimed Chinese composer Ge Gan-ru
<http://www.geganru.com/> , jazz flutist and UCLA alumnus Danilo Lozano
<http://www.cubanflute.com/> , and Grammy Award-winning Mariachi Los
Camperos de Nati Cano
<http://www.opus3artists.com/artists/mariachi-los-camperos> , led by UCLA
Music of Mexico ensemble director Jesús Guzmán
<http://www.ethnomusic.ucla.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id
=1110:jesus-guzman-bio&catid=7&Itemid=226> .  UCLA musicology professor
Elisabeth Le Guin
<http://www.musicology.ucla.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id
=131:elizabeth-le-guin&catid=8&Itemid=227>  will deliver a 7 PM pre-concert
lecture.

This is a tremendous showcase for our UCLA musicians, and we want to make
sure as many of you as possible can attend.

Regular ticket prices are $36, $31, $27 and $15.  Tickets may be purchased
by phone or in person through the UCLA Central Ticket Office (310-825-2101).
Please note: There are no Internet ticket sales available through CTO for
this concert, so you must either call or walk up to the CTO office
<http://tickets.ucla.edu/venues.html>  to purchase tickets.  CTO hours are
Monday through Friday 10 AM - 4 PM.  Information about the concert can also
be obtained at www.schoolofmusic.ucla.edu
<http://www.schoolofmusic.ucla.edu/> .

If you've never attended a concert at Walt Disney Concert Hall, this is the
perfect opportunity.  We hope that all of you will promote the concert in
your classes and among your colleagues, purchase as many tickets as possible
yourselves, and encourage your classmates, students, friends and family to
do the same.  Every seat we can fill for this concert makes it more possible
that we can return to Disney Hall regularly in the future.

This is a UCLA evening of music you won¹t want to miss -- we hope to see you
there!

For more information, please contact Prof. Neal Stulberg (stulberg at ucla.edu
<mailto:stulberg at ucla.edu> ).

UCLA Ally Week

The Ally Week Planning Committee and the Social Justice Initiatives Network
have been working on Ally Week which will happen during the week of April
10th. The purpose of Ally Week is to raise awareness of what it means to be
an ally of the LGBTQI community at UCLA and challenge the UCLA community to
become active allies.

As part of this week, we will be hosting an Ally Awards Banquet on April
14th to honor exceptional allies to the LGBTQI community. Awards will be
given to a Faculty, Staff and Student Ally of the year. If you know someone
deserving of this award, please take the time to  nominate them. Nominations
are due on April 6th at noon.

For more information, visit https://www.orl.ucla.edu/ally/
<https://www.orl.ucla.edu/ally/>  or contact Marsh-Allen Smith
(masmith at orl.ucla.edu <mailto:masmith at orl.ucla.edu> ).

UCLA Fights Women¹s Cancer Team Returns to EIF REVLON Run/Walk

May 7, 2011 is the 18th Annual Entertainment Industry Foundation REVLON
Run/Walk for Women Los Angeles. This annual 5K run/walk, held at the L.A.
Memorial Coliseum, is Los Angeles¹ largest fundraiser for women¹s cancers
and the REVLON/UCLA Women¹s Cancer Research Program at UCLA¹s Jonsson
Comprehensive Cancer Center is the leading beneficiary.

UCLA employees are encouraged to join the UCLA Fights Women¹s Cancer team,
led by co-captains Sara Hurvitz, M.D. and Richard Finn, M.D. The UCLA Fights
Women's Cancer team raised more than $45,000 for programs in cancer
research, women's counseling and outreach in 2010. Please visit
www.cancer.ucla.edu/revlonrunwalk <http://www.cancer.ucla.edu/revlonrunwalk>
to learn more and to register to participate in this year's run/walk as a
UCLA Fights Women¹s Cancer team member. All team members will receive a
complimentary team t-shirt and bag and prizes will be awarded to top
fundraisers.

For more information, contact Rebecca De Haro (rdeharo at mednet.ucla.edu
<mailto:rdeharo at mednet.ucla.edu> ).

UCLA Staff Assembly
For inquiries, please contact staffassembly at ucla.edu
<mailto:staffassembly at ucla.edu>

To ensure that you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your
address book or safe list.

Click here <http://lists.ucla.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/options/uclasa-l>  to
manage your preferences or to unsubscribe.

Got this as a forward? Sign up
<http://lists.ucla.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/uclasa-l>  to receive our
future emails.