Gamaliel: A Historical Question

Vance R. Koven vrkoven at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 11:30:53 PST 2011

The Wikipedia entry gives the English pronunciation with a long, stressed
second a, but from the Greek entry (the Hebrew I leave to others, since,
obviously, it has no vowels) I'd guess that in other languages the second a
would be short, or at least an "ah" sound.

Gamaliel the Elder (English pronunciation: /ɡəˈmeɪljəl/),[1] or Rabbi
Gamaliel I (גמליאל הזקן; Greek: Γαμαλιήλ ο Πρεσβύτερος)

Vance

--
Vance R. Koven
Boston, MA USA