CLS v. Martinez and the hiring question

Brownstein, Alan aebrownstein at ucdavis.edu
Tue Mar 30 17:54:27 PDT 2010

While one can never know what the Supreme court will do with a case, I see no serious connection between CLS v. Martinez and the question of whether religious organizations that receive government funds to provide social services can discriminate on the basis of religion in hiring employees to staff those programs. If Hastings College of Law contracted with CLS to provide general tutoring services in first year classes and CLS refused to hire tutors who did not adhere to its statement of faith, you would have a case on point. In Martinez, Hastings neither sponsors nor endorses the activities of registered student organizations and provides these student group access to facilities and support for the purpose of creating an opportunity for the expression of diverse viewpoints. No one is hired to provide educational services to students. The CLS brief begins with the sentence "This case involves a public law school's exclusion of a group of religious law students from a forum for speech."

This isn't just the wrong tree. It's an entirely different forest.

Alan Brownstein