Jonathan Turley op-ed about US acceptance of limitation on free expression for negative religious stereotyping

Michael R. Masinter masinter at nova.edu
Thu Oct 22 05:09:59 PDT 2009

Does current first amendment protection under Tinker extend to
children who wear T-shirts to a public school that proclaim Islam is
of the Devil in the absence of material disruption to discipline under
a school board policy that empowers the school to ban offensive
speech?  How about followup T-shirts that proclaim I.I.O.T.D.?  In
each case the T-shirt's front expressed a positive message about
Christianity; the suspensions were based on the statement on the back.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32565118/ns/us_news-education/
http://www.alligator.org/news/local/article_e24c85fc-d078-52b6-a21e-72b95cb2f0bb.html

Michael R. Masinter                      3305 College Avenue
Professor of Law                         Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314
Nova Southeastern University             954.262.6151 (voice)
masinter at nova.edu                        954.262.3835 (fax)