Jonathan Turley op-ed about US acceptance of limitation on free expression for negative religious stereotyping

Michael R. Masinter masinter at
Thu Oct 22 05:09:59 PDT 2009

Does current first amendment protection under Tinker extend to
children who wear T-shirts to a public school that proclaim Islam is
of the Devil in the absence of material disruption to discipline under
a school board policy that empowers the school to ban offensive
speech?  How about followup T-shirts that proclaim I.I.O.T.D.?  In
each case the T-shirt's front expressed a positive message about
Christianity; the suspensions were based on the statement on the back.

Michael R. Masinter                      3305 College Avenue
Professor of Law                         Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314
Nova Southeastern University             954.262.6151 (voice)
masinter at                        954.262.3835 (fax)