City rejects atheist bus ad as "too controversial"

Corcos, Christine Christine.Corcos at law.lsu.edu
Sat May 16 07:09:38 PDT 2009

The Indiana Atheists had also contracted with the bus company in South Bend to put its ads on buses before President Obama came to South Bend to speak at Notre Dame, and had paid the company that arranges for advertising. That company cashed the check. But now Transpo, which is the bus authority, has put the arrangement on hold, not apparently because the ads are "too controversial" but because what's happening in Bloomington is too controversial. Another problem is that the meeting to discuss the ads apparently isn't scheduled until Monday. The IA obviously had wanted the ads up for the President's visit.

"The ad was deemed controversial not because of its content, board Chairman Chip Lewis said, but because of the media attention it got in Bloomington.

Lewis, in South Bend, said because of the hoopla downstate, Transpo officials want to be sure about posting the ads.

"I want to make sure we have a thorough discussion and that everybody gets a chance to feel comfortable with what we decide," Lewis said. "It's just business as usual for us." "

See here
http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090514/News01/905140312/-1/XML