First amendment suit against AIG bailout

Douglas Laycock laycockd at umich.edu
Tue Dec 16 07:03:44 PST 2008

I have not read the complaint, but I have heard or read three descriptions of it now.  I don't often say this, but I think it's frivolous.

The Thomas More Center seems to think the Establishment Clause means very little as applied to Christianity and more than anyone else can imagine as applied to other faiths.

Quoting "Volokh, Eugene" <VOLOKH at law.ucla.edu>:

> I've read the Complaint, and it seems to me that, once one strips away
> the "Islam is bad" arguments -- arguments that surely don't advance the
> Establishment Clause claim -- one has the theory that the government may
> not invest in any company that, in part of its operations, provides
> products that are tailored to a particular religious faith, and that may
> be accompanied by donations to religious charities.
>
> Thus, if the government wanted to bail out (or just buy stock in, for
> instance for state employee pension investment purposes) a food
> processing company that produced kosher products and donated some money
> to Jewish-specific charities -- a way of better wooing Jewish customers
> -- that would be an Establishment Clause violation.  Likewise if the
> government invested money in a company that, among other things, ran
> investment funds that sought to attract conservative Christian investers
> by promising not to invest in (say) hospital chains that perform
> abortions and that donated to religious causes.
>
> That can't be right, either under a Lemon primary purpose / primary
> effect theory or an endorsement theory, for the obvious reasons that the
> primary purpose here is to make money (or perhaps to lose as little
> taxpayer money as possible), the primary effect of the government action
> is to help AIG compete effectively by providing Muslim customers with
> what they want, and no reasonable person would assume the government is
> endorsing Islam by including AIG and all its subdivisions in the bailout
> package.
>
> The only possible objection that is even theoretically plausible is that
> the government would be too entangled in the religious decisions of the
> company, for instance because government officials would end up
> supervising the programs.  But on the facts this just doesn't seem to be
> so; the operational decisions related to these religiously themed
> products and programs are made by the company, not the government, and
> the Board of Directors consists of private-sector people, see
> http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/people/board.asp?symbo[1]
> l=AIG.  Or am I missing something?
>
> Eugene
>
> ________________________________

Douglas Laycock
Yale Kamisar Collegiate Professor of Law
University of Michigan Law School
625 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1215
  734-647-9713