Sending Good News Club Fliers Home With Students

FRAP428 at aol.com FRAP428 at aol.com
Wed Dec 3 08:58:20 PST 2008

The problem is that school law (as it is typically denominated in schools  of
education) is not a required course for pre-service teachers. My students are
 all prospective administrators required to take it as graduate course. They
all  (or virtually all) say that the course should be required for every
teacher  before he or she graduates or is certified as a teacher or educator. Of
course,  with the trend toward devaluing schools of education (in favor of
content  specialization--at least for secondary school teachers), alternative
certification, and the need to increase scores on high stakes tests, the
likelihood that more colleges/schools of ed. would offer or require an  undergraduate
course in school law is decreasing. By and large, my students are,  until they
take my course (ahem--clears throat modestly) very unsure about how
constitutional principles translate into real life situations. Sometimes, it is  a
question of believing the law or the Constitution is as you wish it to be  rather
than as it is.

Frances  Paterson, J.D., Ed.D.
Professor
Department of Curriculum, Leadership, and  Technology
College of Education
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA  31698-0090