Religious Groups and Gays and Lesbians

Ed Brayton stcynic at crystalauto.com
Tue Mar 21 11:37:25 PST 2006

Marty Lederman wrote:

> This doesn't mean that gay- and lesbian-rights groups, and the DEA,
> and . . . . everyone else, shouldn't be more sensitive to claims for
> religious exemptions, or that they should treat religious objections
> as morally equivalent to, say, outright bigotry.  I'm a strong
> proponent of RLUIPA, after all.  But it would be odd, and contrary to
> their constituencies' interests, wouldn't it, if such groups
> actually /supported/ granting certain employers/landlords/schools the
> right to exclude them from some of the benefits of civil society based
> solely on their sexual orientation?

I don't think it would be odd at all. Indeed, I would argue that it's
quite consistent. I am a staunch supporter of gay rights, but I also
strongly support the right of religious groups to discriminate within
their organizations. I would not support any bill that required a church
or religious organization, for example, to hire a gay minister or even a
gay janitor. Even less so would I support any law that would require any
church or religious organization to stop speaking out in opposition to
homosexuality, even if they do so in terms that I find quite offensive.
I think this is entirely consistent with my support for gay rights
because both are based upon the same basic premise - that the
individual, acting alone or in private associations as they choose, has
self-ownership and self-determination unless their actions deprive
another person or private association of their equal right to
self-determination or harm them against their will. Gays have the right
to live their lives without interference from government, no matter how
large a majority might wish to put them in jail for their behavior,
until they step over the line drawn above; churches and religious groups
and private associations have that same right. And frankly, I'm not sure
it's true that most gay activists would disagree with me on this. I know
lots and lots of staunch supporters of gay rights who agree with me and
who understand that if they don't protect even their opponents' right to
free speech and free association, they put their own at risk.

Ed Brayton