Catholic Charities Issue

Ed Brayton stcynic at crystalauto.com
Sun Mar 12 08:29:39 PST 2006

Rick Duncan wrote:

> This is why some of us fight so hard against gay rights and gay
> marriage--gay rights/marriage are incompatible (at least in certain
> situations) with religious liberty. As in Massachusetts, the state has
> to choose between religious liberty and gay rights.

I could not disagree with this more. There is no religious liberty issue
at stake here. The Church has retained all of its religious liberty. In
fact, it has chosen to exercise that religious liberty by refusing to
take part in something it finds sinful. I would go so far as to argue
that religious liberty and gay rights are not only compatible, they are
based on exactly the same set of basic principles; do away with one and
you do away with both. That is why I am every bit as opposed to, for
example, policies forcing churches to perform gay marriages (which no
one has suggested, thank goodness) as I am the prohibition on gay
marriage in the first place. It's why I write as often about the free
speech rights of anti-gay ministers (in the context of punishing such
people regularly in Canada, England and other places) as I do about
anti-sodomy laws. You cannot subdivide rights. The right to speak out
against homosexuality and the right to engage in sodomy, for example,
are based upon the very same principles - the right to pursue happiness
so long as your actions do not deprive another of the same, the fact of
self-ownership, and the principle that government's authority is limited
by the need to protect one from another. In neither case does any
government have legitimate authority to use its power, in my view.

Ed Brayton