Catholic Charities Issue

Douglas Laycock DLaycock at law.utexas.edu
Sat Mar 11 19:42:12 PST 2006

It is not at all impossible to have both gay rights and religious liberty.  It is just that the gay rights activists mostly refuse to recognize religious liberty (at least if any gay rights issue is in anyway implicated), and the more conservative religious liberty activists mostly refuse to recognize gay rights.  Both sides want the symbolic victory of having the state declare the other side wrong, and both sides want to be assured they will never have to litigate a case at the boundary between the two freedoms.

Alan Brownstein sketched a perfectly sensible way to resolve the Massachusetts dispute in a way that protects both sides -- gay parents would be free to adopt through other state-funded agencies, and Catholic Charities would be free not to place children with gay parents.  More generally, strong gay rights legislation with strong religious liberty exceptions would protect both sides.

Douglas Laycock
University of Texas Law School
727 E. Dean Keeton St.
Austin, TX  78705