Catholic Charities Issue

Hamilton02 at aol.com Hamilton02 at aol.com
Sat Mar 11 16:02:17 PST 2006

What this dispute re: Catholic Charities illustrates is the danger of  any
religious institution in relying upon government funding for its  programs.
Government funding always comes with strings.  In general,  Catholic Charities
gets 86% of its funding from government sources, 14% from  private, with the
vast majority of that coming from charities like United  Way.  A tiny portion is
paid by Catholics.  I would assume that  on its own dime, CC can facilitate
adoptions, but feel free to correct that  assumption.

The question is whether it is going to accept the condition placed on it by
the government's money.  CC is not required to take the government's  money,
right?  This is the Solomon Amendment -- private institution  that has become
dependent on government largesse insists that it is entitled to  that largesse
and that the government should have no power to place strings on  the money.
There is no First Amendment problem and certainly no  "substantial burden"
under RFRA.  If "substantial burden" means that  religious entities can force the
government to give them money on their own  terms, we are quite literally on
the other side of Alice's looking glass.

Marci