Public university sponsorship of conference on"Examining the Rea l Agend...

JMHACLJ at aol.com JMHACLJ at aol.com
Wed Jun 15 13:41:39 PDT 2005

In a message dated 6/15/2005 2:26:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight  Time,
sgreen at willamette.edu writes:

If Mark does not  know the content of the program, then I do not think one
can assume that a  conference that may "criticize" aspects of the Religious
Right is "hostile" to  the Christian Right.  I would hope that any
conference would be  balanced, but I would assume that academic freedom would
allow for criticism,  particularly since it is a timely and
legitimate topic.  As for the  issue of the criticism occuring at a state
supported university, are public  universities barred from tackling
controversial issues (and taking sides)  merely because they involve
religion?  How about their  professors?

Draw whatever conclusion that you may from the program  schedule, a copy of
which is hosted online at
_http://www.opencenter.org/Trainings/Religious_Right_Agenda.html_ (http://www.opencenter.org/Trainings/Religious_Right_Agenda.html)
.

According to the website, presentations included the  following:

Fundamentalism: The Fear and the  Rage - Karen Armstrong, The Rise of
Dominionism  in the U.S. Government - Joan Bokaer, Millennialist and  Apocalyptic
Influences on Dominionism - Chip Berlet, Learning about the  Christian Right, and
What in the World to Do - Frederick Clarkson, The Real  Hidden Religious
Agenda: The Theocratic States of America - John Sugg, Is an  Unholy American
Theocracy Here? - Katherine Yurica, On the Psychology and  Theocracy of George W.
Bush: Reflections in a Culture of Fear - Charles  Strozier, Christian Jihad -
Skipp Porteous, Jesus Plus Nothing:  Elite Fundamentalism, Pragmatic
Dominionism - Jeff Sharlet, Religion and Secrecy in  the Bush Administration - Hugh
Urban
Sounds  balanced, right?
Karen  Armstrong, I think, needs no introduction thanks to her prodigious
writing,  especially on relations between the west and Islam.
Joan  Bokaer is the founder of _http://www.theocracywatch.org_
(http://www.theocracywatch.org) .
Chip  Berlet?  Long time freelance writer, including for High Times
(published by Norman Mailer's son, John) and for some 20 years a senior  researcher
for_http://www.publiceye.org/index.html_ (http://www.publiceye.org/index.html)
Political  Research Associates, a Massachusetts group that has lived off the
carcasses of  right wing and conservative organizations thanks to its special
focus as "an  independent, nonprofit research center that exposes and
challenges the Right and  larger oppressive movements, institutions, and forces. PRA
produces accurate  applied research and useful analytic tools to inform and
support progressive  activism that promotes equality and justice. "
Frederick  Clarkson, author of Eternal Hostility:  The Struggle Between
Theocracy and  Democracy,  speaks for himself at
_http://www.frederickclarkson.com/_ (http://www.frederickclarkson.com/) .
A search  in vain for balance from John Sugg can be conducted at
_http://www.johnsugg.com_ (http://www.johnsugg.com) .
Katherine  Yurica.  Go to
_http://www.yuricareport.com/Dominionism/TheDespoilingOfAmerica.htm_
(http://www.yuricareport.com/Dominionism/TheDespoilingOfAmerica.htm) .  Need one say more?
Charles  Strozier authored a biography of a sorts about President Lincoln,
taking a  psychotherapeutic romp through Honest Abe's life to bring us
"Lincoln's Quest  for Union."  He also "specializes" in something he calls "endism" or
teachings about apocalyptic endings of the world.  In that vein, he
authored,  Apocalypse: On the Psychology of Fundamentalism in  America (Boston: Beacon
Press, 1994).  His balance is demonstrated with  a remark at the NY
Conference describing the "basically neo-fascist schemes of  the new Republicans."
Skipp  Porteus, founder of the Institute for First Amendment Studies, a
voluminous  source of anti-right screed now archived at
_http://www.ifas.org/wa/index.html_ (http://www.ifas.org/wa/index.html) , is a former  Pentecostal
preacher that "exposes" the religious right through such personally  devoted acts as
dumpster diving in the trash cans of religious right  organizations.
Jeff  Sharlet, a founder of _http://www.killingthebuddha.com_
(http://www.killingthebuddha.com) , with his  co-author of the book of the same name, studies
and speaks about religion and  conservativism, both on the Buddha site, and
at _http://www.therevealer.com_ (http://www.therevealer.com) , where he is the
Editor.  His equanimity for the Religious Right is evidenced in this piece
that bumps against Pat Robertson,
_http://www.killingthebuddha.com/dispatches/miracle_shack.htm_
(http://www.killingthebuddha.com/dispatches/miracle_shack.htm) .
Hugh  Urban, an associate professor of comparative religions and author on
Tantric sex  and Hinduism, would not appreciate being confused for a balanced
voice on such  issues.  Take this, from one of his recent articles:
To  close, I would like to offer a few comments regarding the political role
of the  scholar of religion in the world today. There was a time when I, like
most  scholars of religion, believed that the best I could do was to remain as
neutral  as possible about the political implications of my research while at
the same  remaining as self-conscious as possible about the ways in which my
work might be  affected by my own political opinions. Well, I must say that I
no longer believe  in this sort of comfortable pretense of neutrality. When
one's government is  committing acts as disturbing as those of the Bush
administration, and  concealing them under layers of obsessive secrecy, no thinking
citizen, can  pretend to remain comfortably neutral.  . .  .  I would also agree
with Pierre Bourdieu, who suggests that the task of  the scholar is, among
other things, to unmask and demystify relations of power  that have been masked
and mystified in the social order. By unmasking the subtle  forms of
misrecognition and symbolic violence at work in society, the scholar is  exercising a
fundamentally political power:  "There is a political dimension to…what
sociology should do in the modern world...Acts of research...are acts of  struggle,
conquest and victory over taken for granted assumptions about social  life:
scientific research is a struggle against all forms of symbolic  domination."
For the scholar of religion, that means unmasking relations of  power and
oppression that have been mystified by appeals to divine authority,  wars of Good
against Evil, and coded references to scriptures. That is how we  can exert our,
admittedly limited, political effect within the academy, among  our students
and within our communities. It is surely high time that we began  doing so.
So, I  guess it is fair game not to conclude that balance was a hallmark of
the  conference.  In fact, it would be fair game to conclude that balance was
never an objective of the  conference.
Jim  Henderson
Senior  Counsel
ACLJ