Humpty Dumpty, James Madison, the States and Meaning

Steven Jamar sjamar at law.howard.edu
Tue Jul 26 18:37:35 PDT 2005

A.  Jim Henderson.

Well not quite.  I guess Jim claims to know what they mean, and is
not really claiming the prerogative claimed by Humpty Dumpty to
define words any old way his fancy suits him.  Now there's glory for
you!  But some others of us also think we know what they mean and see
things differently from Jim even when looking at the same words.

He sees unambiguous hard edges (and yet still must list what
respecting establishment prohibits!) whereas I see a hard core
meaning a fuzzy mushy area around that core.

Jim and Gene see the same way, but not the same thing.  I see it
differently.

Steve

--
Prof. Steven D. Jamar                                 vox:  202-806-8017
Howard University School of Law                       fax:  202-806-8428
mailto:sjamar at law.howard.edu
Washington, DC  20008      http://www.law.howard.edu/faculty/pages/jamar

Nothing worth doing is completed in our lifetime,
Therefore, we are saved by hope.
Nothing true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any
immediate context of history;
Therefore, we are saved by faith.
Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone.
Therefore, we are saved by love.
No virtuous act is quite a virtuous from the standpoint of our friend
or foe as from our own;
Therefore, we are saved by the final form of love which is forgiveness.

Reinhold Neibuhr