Gay Activists Threaten Church Tax-Exempt Status

Nathan Oman noman at mail.netoriginals.com
Fri Jun 4 09:29:38 PDT 2004

I wonder if thinking about the President of the United States might be useful here.  Clearly, the fact that he is President gives him a certain charismatic authority, and that authority is linked to the office that he holds.  At the same time, Presidents generally serve as the de facto head of their political parties.  Now obviously the Presidency is not a 501(c)(3) in danger of losing its tax exempt status if the President engages in partisan speech.  On the other hand, we do have regulations about his ability to use the office of President for partisan political purposes.  We require that Presidents set up seperate entities for political purposes.  Furthermore, it seems that these requirements are about more than simply the use of government funds.  For example, it is my understanding that the President cannot use the presidential seal on partisan political materials, etc., even though the "presidentialness" conveyed by the seal is at the heart of the political message that every incumbent President wants to use at reelection time.

Does this constitute a secular example of the sort of problem that Berg and Doug see?

Nate Oman