Gay Activists Threaten Church Tax-Exempt Status

A.E. Brownstein aebrownstein at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jun 3 11:44:17 PDT 2004

I'm not sure I fully understand this argument, but I don't know all that
much about church doctrine or tax law. Can you help me, Tom. Is the
argument that the religious leaders of certain faith communities are
prohibited by church doctrine from serving in leadership positions or
taking on speaking roles in 501(c)(4) organizations? Or is it a tax law
problem? Do IRS regulations make it difficult for clergy to participate in
501(c)(4) organizations, perhaps because they receive compensation from a
501(c)(3)? Can someone work part time at both a 501(c)(3) and part time at
a 501(c)(4)? Can a church categorize itself as a (c)(4) organization and
lose its tax exempt status? If so, that takes us back to problems relating
to the impracticality of segregating one's activities and the cost in lost
subsidies and exemptions of maintaining organizational and operational
unity -- but that problem applies to both secular and religious individuals
and institutions.

I understand the argument that clergy have to be able to be free to speak
out on political issues. What I'm less clear about is why they have to be
able to do so from a tax exempt status.

I suppose the second issue suggested by Tom's post is whether church rules
about polity effectively respond to the free speech concern. If only
associations expressing a particular viewpoint have certain kinds of rules
about who can speak for the organization, and that distinction is accepted
as a justification for regulating the speech of those associations less
rigorously than the speech of associations with different viewpoints, does
that resolve the debate distorting consequence of accepting this
distinction? Avoiding debate distorting government action is, after all,
why we are concerned about viewpoint discrimination in the first place.

Alan Brownstein
UC Davis