Does Brown v. Bd. of Ed. "disfavor a religion"?

Volokh, Eugene VOLOKH at mail.law.ucla.edu
Fri Oct 4 15:46:35 PDT 2002

    Sorry for the delay, and this response may be moot by now.  But here are
a few quick thoughts:

    It seems to me that the government may not discriminate against either
reasonable religions or unreasonable ones.  The government may not shut down
churches that conscientiously believe that violence is required to rid the
world of heretics, nor, in my view, may it deny them charitable tax
exemptions, so long as they simply believe and not act.  Of course, once
they try to violently rid the world of heretics, it may suppress them -- but
not because they are religions, or because they are unreasonable, but
because the government may punish all people who try to violently rid the
world of anyone.

    Conversely, the Catholic Church may be perfectly reasonable, but the
legal system may say that one goal of many Catholics -- outlawing abortions
-- is not permissible.  In my view, this is not discrimination, though in
Bobby's it is.  In my view the nondiscrimination rule is that the government
must treat all people and institutions equally without regard to their
religion or religiosity.  That applies to reasonable churches as well as
unreasonable ones.  There is no rule, I think, that requires the government
to treat all proposed legal regimes (ban on abortion, no ban on abortion,
exclusion of churches from a neighborhood, no exclusion of churches from a
neighborhood) equally.  And rejecting a particular legal regime is not
religious discrimination, even if that legal regime may be favored by one or
another religious denomination.

    It's thus true that American constitutionalism favors certain legal
solutions -- but framing this as disfavoring or discriminating against
religion does not, I think, help the analysis.