Religious exemptions from Title VII, et. al.

Volokh, Eugene VOLOKH at mail.law.ucla.edu
Tue Dec 18 12:40:07 PST 2001

        The BFOQ exception, I think, can't be dismissed quite so easily,
because the whole question is when we consider gender to be relevant to
one's ability to do a job.  The law favors people's secular preferences for
privacy (locker room attendant) and authenticity (actor/actress), and says
that it's OK to discriminate in order to satisfy those preferences.  Under
Fred's and Rick's theory, why can't a religious employer argue that it
should equally favor his religious preferences?

        But in any event, even setting aside the BFOQ provision, under
Fred's analysis employers who feel a religious compulsion to discriminate
based on sex -- or, I take it, race and religion, since the small business
exception applies there too -- would have a Free Exercise Clause right to do
so.  And I think that indeed religious objectors would have to have similar
exceptions from copyright law, the duty to testify, and the myriad other
laws that have various exceptions.  Notwithstanding U.S. v. Lee, for
instance, I take it that there'd have to be religious exemptions from tax
laws, which are chock full of exceptions for various favored secular causes.

        Can that really be right?  This wouldn't just be the
Sherbert/Yoder-era rule.  This wouldn't even just be a forceful "least
restrictive alternative" rule.  It would be the same sort of
strict-in-theory-nearly-fatal-in-fact rule that's applied to content-based
speech restrictions.  (The underinclusiveness prong of free speech strict
scrutiny is, in my view, what makes this scrutiny particularly demanding.)
People would be free to do a wide range of things, including things that the
law sees as harmful (discrimination, copyright infringement, refusal to
testify in court, etc.), simply because they feel their religion requires
them to do this, and the law recognizes at least one other exception that
fits Fred's fairly generous test.  That just doesn't seem quite sound to me,
but I'd love to hear what others think on the subject.

        Eugene