Gag order

charles howard choward at TARLETON.EDU
Mon Jan 5 13:45:32 PST 1998

Recently, a school district in Utah told a teacher not to discuss her sexual
orientation, the Utah AG's office is apparently supporting the school
board's decision.  If a school is allowed to issue a gag order (on threat of
being fired I suppose) on this issue, what would stop them from issuing a
similer decree forbidding a teacher from expression his/her religious views?
Wouldn't any such (if it could stand at all) be limited to in-class
communication of one sort or another? See www.freedomforum.org for more
details on this case.
Charlie Howard
Tarleton State University

"My definition of a free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular."
Adlai Stevenson (1952)