[PSR-News] Early Bird Registration Deadline Extended for IHA Health Literacy Conference!

Ham, Kelli kkham at library.ucla.edu
Thu Apr 12 15:49:43 PDT 2012

Dear colleagues,
Good news! If you have been thinking about registering for the annual Health Literacy Conference sponsored by the Institute for Healthcare Advancement, you still have a few days to save on your registration!  The Early Bird Savings Registration deadline has been extended to Monday, April 16th.
Also, did you know that attendees receive a set of the "What to Do for Health" books? If you are not familiar with this wonderful series, you can learn more by going to www.iha4health.org<http://www.iha4health.org> and clicking on the Books tab, or you can go directly here<http://www.iha4health.org/%28X%281%29S%28hlcxrn45chxd3c2guvaczgvo%29%29/default.aspx/MenuItemID/185/MenuGroup/_Health+Literacy+Conference.htm>.
The Medical Library Association and the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) recognizes that members have a role to play in health literacy and encourages you to attend this conference. This activity has been approved by the Medical Library Association (MLA); attendees can earn up to 19 contact hours.  Also, the NN/LM PSR and MLA will be hosting an exhibit table at the conference to help inform attendees how librarians can support and help improve health literacy.
IHA has been very proactive in reaching out to our profession.  Librarians can save even more on their registration by taking advantage of the special discount! Use discount code MLA12 when you register, and save $50 off the regular low registration rate. Register early to get this special rate - the early bird deadline is on or before Monday, April 16 at 5pm Pacific Daylight Time. Click here to register now<http://www.regonline.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventID=1050936>.  Also, see the announcement towards the end of the email for information about applying for a conference scholarship.
Additional information about what you can expect at the conference:
New, Extended Preconference Offerings!

We've got some great preconference activities lined up for you this year! Some are repeats from last year; many are FREE, and a few are brand-new offerings. As a registered attendee, here's what you can look forward to when you come in a day early...

*     Extended, 3-Hour Preconference Learning Sessions. Take advantage of this opportunity to choose an immersive, 3-hour learning session on two very important topics: How to Write for a Low Literacy Audience, by IHA's Gloria Mayer, or 10 Tips to Make Your Health Website Easier to Use, by Stacy Robison and Xanthi Scrimgeour. NOTE: There is an additional fee of $59 for either workshop.
*     FREE: National Action Plan Live Virtual Event. This event will bring in participants from all over the world to discuss, via social media, ways in which they have implemented the National Action Plan to Improve Health Literacy. Discussion moderators at the session are IHA's Michael Villaire and Gloria Mayer, and (just added!) CDC's Cynthia Baur, Ph.D, a Lead Editor of the National Action Plan.
*     FREE: Workshop: Draft Your Own Action Plan. Attendees at the conference can stay for this workshop to walk through each step of writing your own Action Plan and implement it in your organization.
*     FREE: Health Literacy 101: An Introduction to the Field.  For those who are somewhat new to the field of health literacy, join us for this basic, introductory overview of the field, and learn what you need to know about health literacy.

Attend Four Hands-On, Interactive Breakout Sessions!

Folks who have attended our conference tell us what really sets the IHA Health Literacy Conference apart is that you can attend four, 1.5-hour skill-building sessions. Roll up your sleeves and learn specific skills to help you function more efficiently and better understand and meet your clients' and patients' needs.   These sessions provide a wide selection of choices, from tools you can use and programs you can replicate to practicing new skill sets, and more. Here are your breakout session selections for 2012:

*     The Case for Collaboration: Creating and Sustaining Healthy Partnerships
*     Developing a Health Literacy Program Evaluation Plan
*     Finding the Right Resources to Meet Your Health Literacy Needs
*     Including People Who Experience Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities in Health Literacy Plans and Programs
*     Implementing Health Literacy in a Large Company: An Example from Pharma
*     Using the Arts to Advance Health Literacy
*     Using New Media Tools to Reach People with Health Information
*     Learning the Language of Health Literacy Grants
*     Usability Testing on a Dime: What, Why and How
*     Panel: Health Literacy Tools Developed by Health Plans

Best Buy for Your Education Dollars

These days, we all need to look at where we can best spend our money. This is particularly true for nonprofit organizations. However, when you consider that only slightly more than 1 in 10 American adults are considered proficient in the health literacy skills they need to effectively navigate and use our healthcare system, you can see that the Health Literacy Conference is an excellent buy. If you make even a small number of incremental changes in how you and your staff interact and communicate with your patients and clients, the results could more than pay for your small investment.

We have kept our tuition rates at the same low rate every year. See our rates grid and show it to whoever approves your education programming to see how little you will pay to attend this important conference. And remember, your registration fee includes:
*     Continuing Education credits (up to 19 hours)
*     Breakfast on Thursday and Friday
*     Lunch on Thursday and Friday
*     Opening Night Reception--cocktails and hors d'oeuvres
*     FREE Wednesday nationwide virtual event AND workshop on the National Action Plan to Improve Health Literacy, to help you create an action plan for your organization
*     FREE Preconference Session on Wednesday evening: "Health Literacy 101: An Introduction to the Field"
*     Complimentary tote bag with info and free set of IHA books
*     Poster session on Thursday evening
*     Multiple networking opportunities
*     ...and more!

Conference Scholarships Offered Courtesy of Health Literacy Innovations

Want to attend the conference but you are short on funds? We are fortunate this year to have a sponsor, Health Literacy Innovations (HLI) creators of the Health Literacy Advisor(tm) (in Spanish-Asesor de Comunicación en Salud(tm)) that will provide seven scholarships to the conference. If you are interested in applying, please visit http://www.healthliteracyinnovations.com/IHA<http://www.healthliteracyinnovations.com/IHA/>.

IHA thanks Health Literacy Innovations for its generosity in sponsoring these scholarships.

Your Conference Hotel--Hyatt Regency Irvine

The Eleventh Annual IHA Health Literacy Conference will be held once again at the Hyatt Regency Irvine, close to John Wayne/Orange County Airport (SNA) with complimentary airport shuttle, and just minutes from world-class shopping at South Coast Plaza. Easy access to the beach and freeway, close to Disneyland Park, California Adventure, the Downtown Disney District, Knott's Berry Farm, The Outlets at Orange, Crystal Cathedral, and Anaheim Stadium.
We have negotiated a limited number of rooms at a special rate of $125 at the Hyatt Regency Irvine. Be sure to mention that you are attending the IHA Health Literacy Conference to get this special rate.  Book your room early, as the block of rooms at this special rate is limited. When these rooms are gone, prevailing rates apply on an as-available basis. Deadline for reserving rooms at this rate is April 23, 2012 OR until rooms in this block are sold out, whichever comes first. Rates are good for two days before and two days after the conference.
Consider forwarding this email to any of your colleagues whom you feel might benefit from hearing about, and attending, the conference. Scroll down just a bit and use the "Forward Email" link.

IHA welcomes your calls.  For any questions, don't hesitate to call Michael Villaire at (800) 434-4633, ext. 202, or email mvillaire at iha4health.org<mailto:mvillaire at iha4health.org>.

Kelli Ham, MLIS
Consumer Health and Technology Coordinator
NN/LM Pacific Southwest Region
UCLA Biomedical Library
310-825-1984
nnlm.gov/psr