[PSR-News] Public display of LIBIDs

jkkwan at library.ucla.edu jkkwan at library.ucla.edu
Thu Jul 13 16:17:44 PDT 2006

TO: DOCLINE libraries

We need your opinion!

In the past, we have included a library's LIBID in several directory
listings, for example, the NN/LM Member Directory
(http://nnlm.gov/members/adv.html)and the FreeShare Library Directory
that was formerly linked from the FreeShare page
(http://nnlm.gov/rsdd/freeshare/index.html). The LIBIDs were removed
recently with the advent of DOCLINE 2.8 when the LIBID became the
default value for libraries that wish to use an authorization code to
screen new Loansome Doc patrons. Although the LIBID is the default
value, the library can now change the authorization code for new patrons
as frequently as it wishes.

Now that you have had a chance to read the release notes about DOCLINE
2.8 (see http://www.nlm.nih.gov/docline/docline_rel_info_v2_8.html) and
now that you know that you can change this default value, I would like
your views on the following:

Questions:
   1) Can we resume listing the LIBID in public directories?
   2) If you do not want your LIBID listed, please let us know why.

Thanks in advance for your opinions on this. I would like to be able to
share your thoughts with the DOCLINE team at a teleconference on Tuesday
July 18. If you are not able to respond by then, send me your comments
later.

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to give me a call
or send me email.

Thanks!
Julie

Julie Kwan
Library Network Coordinator, NN/LM PSR
UCLA Biomedical Library
12-077 CHS, Box 951798
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1798
310-825-5342
800-338-7657 (in AZ, CA, HI, NV, Pacific Basin)