[Oradlist] "OMR/DMFR" in Turkey

Ulkem Aydin ulkem_aydin at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 04:57:23 PDT 2010

Dear friends,

After a good summer holiday and after attending the magnificient U2 concert (I was in the Red Zone) in Istanbul, with the beginning of the new academic year, now I recall (remember) that I am working at a university and I am a part of the OMR community :-)

As far as I know, beginning from the establishment of our department in Turkey, the name and also the concept was Oral Diagnosis and Radiology. But, with the latest changes in the academic constitution of dentistry faculties, the Department of Oral Diagnosis and radiology has become Mouth, Teeth and Jaw Radiology. Also, the Department of Endodontics and the Department of Conservative (Restorative) Treatment are joined and has become the Department of Restorative Dentistry and Endodontics; the Department of Mouth, Teeth and Jaw Diseases and Surgery has become the Department of Mouth, Teeth and Jaw Surgery.

As you all know, a specialty is different from an academic department and this change does not imply that OMR (or what it is called in Turkey) is accepted as a specialty. Unfortunately, this change in the academic constitution and the 'drop' of 'Oral Diagnosis' from the name (and concept) of our discipline also brought new problems regarding the practice, education, research and academic situation of oral diagnosis area.

But regardless of all these, it is encouraging that the importance of radiology in dental faculties is acknowledged and we can hope that things will be better in the future.

With my best regards

Ulkem

Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ulkem AYDIN
Department of Oral Diagnosis and Radiology

Baskent University Faculty of Dentistry, Ankara, Turkey

On just because you teach does not necessarily mean you keep up to date. AG Farman