[Oradlist] Cervical Burnout and Mach Band effect in IOdigitalRadiographs

Abramovitch, Kenneth kenneth.abramovitch at uth.tmc.edu
Thu Feb 26 13:10:11 PST 2009

Dear All,

I already responded to Dr. Sansare but I humbly submit to Allan's reply.
I do not have any preliminary data but I believe that there is a Mach
band phenomenon as noted by dark line interfaces between metal and
dentin interfaces.  I have not been able to explain how this illusion is
created in a digital medium and then perceived by cerebral visual
cortex.  However, I do feel that there is a different perceptual pathway
for the Mach band effect to present in the digital medium and then be
seen or further illusioned by the cerebral pathway.  Perhaps there is
some literature on this in the Japanese or Swedish (non-English)
scientific literature.

Ken