[Oradlist] case for differential interpretation

David MacDonald dmacdon at interchange.ubc.ca
Thu Sep 25 16:21:59 PDT 2008

Dear Phrabha,

The first thing we need to do is to exclude serious disease, as is
clearly understood from your request.
While the majority of cases of monostotic FD do not cross the midline,
some do and to a substantial extent. In all cases of suspected FD  (as
I have already suggested) check out the rest of the skeleton as it may
be part the polyostotic form. (The Albright-McCune Syndrome patients
are most frequently identified by child health and family doctors post
natally and in their infancy and therefore unlikely.) As you already
have a CT of the face and Jaws an important area to check is the skull
base as FD affecting this region if still active can threaten vision.
The polyostotic form is also associated with an increased likelihood
of sarcomatous change.
Any up-dated images and/or history would assist in assisting you
further.

Hoping that this helps you!

Kind regards,

DavidDr David MacDonald   BDS, BSc(Hons.), LLB(Hons.), MSc,
DDS(Edin.), DDRRCR, FDSRCPS, FRCD(C).
Associate Professor & Chairman of the Division of Oral & Maxillofacial
Radiology, Faculty of Dentistry, UBC,
2199 Wesbrook Mall , Vancouver V6T 1Z3, BC, Canada,
Tel: 604 822 9762  Fax: 604 822 8279