[Oradlist] Reading Cephs for a chiropractor

M.Mupparapu, DMD mmupparapu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 09:09:37 PDT 2008

Hi Dania:

If the chiropractor refers the radiographs for the evaluation of the entire
cervical spine and part of upper thoracic spine, they are more likely spine
series rather than a Ceph as the visualization of the spine via the ceph
positioning is not the best.
Moreover, adequate reporting can not be done with lateral views only unless
they are used to demonstrate kyphosis or loss of the normal lordosis only.
The diagnosis of cervical spine pathoses solely without the inclusion of
maxillofacial structures may fall outside of the practice of OMFR. We all
read and report the maxillofacial plain films and even CBCT and remark on
the status of the cervical spine as part of the entire evaluation, but not
the cervical spine solely.

If you are reading the Cephs for detection of maxillo-madibular deficiencies
and or pathoses along with comments on the visualized cervical vertebrae,
then you are probably practicing within the scope of OMFR.

Even Chiropractors are switching to CBCT these days and perhaps for a good
reason.

cheers,

Mel Mupparapu
New Jersey Dental School
Newark, NJ

--
M.Mupparapu, DMD, MDS, Dip.ABOMR
Professor, Dept of Diagnostic Sciences

NOTICE for breach of confidentiality & accidental breach of confidentiality

If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager
immediately.