[Oradlist] Who can take intraoral and panoramic radiographs?

Sharon Brooks slbrooks at umich.edu
Mon Jul 18 06:19:35 PDT 2005

In the USA this issue is one for each individual state to decide and
thus there may be some variation in laws. In my state this is governed
by the State Board of Dentistry, that has rules for what duties a
dentist can delegate to auxiliary personnel. A dentist cannot assign
taking radiographs to any person unless that person has taken a
radiography course acceptable to the Board of Dentistry. Dental
hygienists get such a course and clinical training during their
educational program. Dental assistants can take a course through a
college or via a home-study course provided by the Michigan Dental
Association and then can legally take radiographs (intraoral,
panoramic, or anything else done in the dental office). Several times a
year I offer a 3-day course for dental assistants that meets the
requirements of the board and thus the people who complete the course
can take radiographs in the office where they work.

Sharon Brooks