[Oradlist] Teaching Panoramic Technique

Koenig, Lisa lisa.koenig at marquette.edu
Thu Jul 14 07:38:55 PDT 2005

Carl, Here at Marquette we basically do the same as Sharon and we find
that after a couple of supervised Pans the students are quite capable of
performing them by themselves.  I would not be concerned about students
learning Pans on one type of machine because although the machines vary
the basic guiding principles are the same and all machines have
mechanisms available to make sure the patient is placed in the focal
trough etc.  SO typical errors in Panoramic imaging, head up chin down
etc, can happen on all machines, film or digital. The important thing is
that the students understand the concepts and that is very difficult to
teach if they haven't had any hands-on.  Lisa

Lisa J. Koenig BChD, DDS, MS
Program Director, Oral Medicine and Oral Radiology
Marquette University School of Dentistry, Rm: 366
PO Box 1881
Milwaukee, WI 53201-1881
Tel: (414) 288-5675
Fax: (414) 288-6081