[Oradlist] orthodontic measurement

Neill J Serman njs2 at columbia.edu
Mon Feb 7 06:33:05 PST 2005

The following question has been posed to me.

I am a PG Ortho student who is interested in investigating root
resorption in Orthodontic treatment for my master's thesis.  We
have a large sample of pts with pre-ortho and post-ortho digital
panoramic radiographs available.  However, we have come across some
issues regarding how to measure these panoramic radiographs.
Namely, we need a reliable method for determining whether the
panoramic radiograph is acceptable (ie. minimal
foreshortening/elongation in the anterior regions, posterior
regions are more accurate).  If you have any suggestions regarding this
matter, I would be grateful for any advice/comments.

I was wondering if there were any references for this method, or if it
was written in a textbook/literature b/c we would like to investigate this
matter as a possible way for us to standardize our sample criteria.

Replies will be appreciated

Neill Serman.   BDS  DDS  MS(Rad) FACD  FIADMFR
Professor and Head,
Division of Oral Radiology,
School of Dentistry,  Columbia University
630 West 168 Street, New York, N.  Y. 10032

Telephone  212  305-5674     email   njs2 at columbia.edu
Fax        718  601 6836