[Oradlist] Another NCRP question

Axel Ruprecht ruprecht at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Wed Feb 2 11:14:51 PST 2005

There is, in general, no such distinction in Iowa. It is the user and
the units that are regulated, but not as a linked entity. i.e. CT is
CT and has code with it. Dentists are dentists, and have an act
associated with them. But nothing that prohibits use of equipment
that you are qualified to use. Is that muddles enough?

Rgds
Axel

>Hi everyone,
>We were having a review of NCRP 145 with our residents and noticed that
>the maximum kVp for dental x-ray machines is limited to 100 kVp.  Many
>of the current cone beam CT machines fall outside this range.  They
>would therefore be classified as medical devices as I understand it and
>fall under state regulations for such devices (ie. Medical tech vs
>dental tech, physician oversight vs. dentist)  Am I interpreting this
>wrong?  Is this a problem or can dentists use CT machines in their
>office in your states? (not just order exams, but use and own)
>
>William S. Moore, DDS, MS
>Division Head Oral & Maxillofacial Radiology Dept of Dental Diagnostic
>Science University of Texas Health Science Center MSC 7919
>7703 Floyd Curl Drive
>San Antonio, TX 78229-3900
>210-567-3342
>moorew at uthscsa.edu

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

Axel Ruprecht D.D.S., M.Sc.D., F.R.C.D.(C)
Professor and Director of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology
Professor of Radiology
Professor of Anatomy and Cell Biology

   (O) 319-335-7341
   (FAX) 319-335-7351

   e-mail:axel-ruprecht at uiowa.edu

   mail: University of Iowa - DSB
            Iowa City  IA 52242-1001

Web: http://ruprecht.radiology.uiowa.edu

The only man who ever got all his work
done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what
one has learned in school."    -- Albert Einstein