richard_weems at CS1.DENTAL.UAB.EDU
Tue Jan 29 10:45:19 PST 2002
Our resident biomaterials guru, Dr. Jack, Lemons says that your are
definitely having changes in the metallic make-up of your restorations due
to the electrical charge and should stop doing what you are doing. Long term
consequences may involve inflammation of the soft tissue to the metallic
Richard A. Weems, D.M.D., M.S.
Director of Student and Alumni Affairs
School of Dentistry, room 124
University of Alabama at Birmingham
1919 7th. Ave. So.
Birmingham, AL 35294
>From: Lisa Koenig <lisa.koenig at MARQUETTE.EDU>
>To: ORADLIST at LISTSERV.UCLA.EDU
>Date: Tue, Jan 29, 2002, 9:34 AM
> Hi All, I received the following inquiry. Has anyone got any ideas?
> Dear Dr. Koenig,
> I'm wondering if you might be able to provide some insight into an unusual
> problem I've been experiencing. I work as an activity guide for an electric
> utility. My job includes teaching children about static electricity and
> electrical safety.
> In the past few months when using our Van de Graff generator, which
> produces large amounts of static electricity, I've noticed that shortly
> after starting the generator I have a terrible metallic taste in my mouth.
> As time has gone on, the metallic taste lasts longer and longer...sometimes
> up to several hours.
> I haven't been able to find any information on this type of problem, thus
> my letter to you. Is it possible that the static charge is somehow changing
> the make up of my fillings or of the bridge I have? What could the long
> term implications of this problem be?
> I would greatly appreciate any help you might give me concerning this problem.
More information about the Oradlist