section program (fwd)

Lars Hollender larsholl at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Mon Feb 24 09:05:09 PST 1997

For those who don't receive the OMR section of AADS Newsletter here is the
invitation to this year's section program.
best regards
Lars

Professor Lars G. Hollender
Director, Division of Oral Radiology,
Department of Oral Medicine                     tel:206 543-0615
Box 356370,  UW.                                fax:206 685-8412
Seattle, WA 98195                            e-mail:larsholl at u.washington.edu

1997 SECTION PTOGRAM

Developing Foundation Knowledge in the Clinical Context: Models for
Curriculum Integration.

Dental and allied oral and maxillofacial radiology educators are invited
to attend a joint program of the Sections of Oral and Maxillofacial
Radiology and Anatomical Sciences on Wednesday March 19 between 8:00 and
10:00 AM, followed by a Business Meeting between 10:00 and 10:45AM.

The program will be moderated by Dr. Peter Herdman, Chair-elect,
Anatomical Sciences Section. Following an introduction by Dr. Herdman,
describing an existing integrated course and how it was developed,
participants will work in groups to develop models for integrating
foundation and clinical knowledge.

Most dental educators have experienced problems with curriculum overload.
New knowledge and techniques are continuously added and new fields
developed and included in the curriculum. Educators who, by reason of
development within their field, want to expand their teaching are instead
faced with the request to cut down on the existing curricula. Complaints
both from students and teachers about overlap are common. Problem based
learning may be one solution to these problems.

While it may take a long time to introduce and establish problem based
learning in the dental schools one step towards a more reasonable and
realistic curriculum is to integrate teaching between different fields in
the dental curriculum.

The program for this year's Section meeting aims at initiating interest
in and motivation for integration of dental education in general and in
particular between basic science and clinical fields.

Please join us for this exciting workshop!

(this will probably be enough for the space that was alloted last year)

Seattle, WA 98195                            e-mail:larsholl at u.washington.edu