[mentalhealth-l] ENEWS: September, 2009 (Vol. 13 #12)

SMHP smhp at ucla.edu
Tue Sep 1 07:58:55 PDT 2009

[]

September, 2009 (Vol. 13 #12)

ENEWS is one of the many resources provided by
the School Mental Health Project/ Center for
Mental Health in Schools at UCLA.  This
electronic newsletter is sent to those concerned
with enhancing policies, programs, and practices
related to addressing barriers to student
learning and to promoting mental health in
schools.  For more on what our federally
supported national Center offers, see http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

<><><><<><><><>
We encourage you to forward this to others.
If you have been forwarded this ENEWS
and want to sign up to receive it directly,
please let us know.  Contact smhp at ucla.edu
<><><><><><><>

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

WHAT'S HERE THIS MONTH

**Emerging Issue
 >>Opportunities for Transforming how Schools Address Barriers to Learning
**News from around the country

**Recent publications relevant to
 >Child and adolescent mental and physical health
 >School, family, & community
 >Policy, systems, law, ethics, finances & statistics
**This month's focus for schools to address barriers to learning
 >September – Creating a positive school climate
includes plans for welcoming students, families, and school staff
**Other helpful Internet resources

**Links to
 >Upcoming initiatives, conferences & workshops
 >Upcoming and archived webcasts and online professional development
 >Calls for grant proposals, presentations & papers
 >Training and job opportunities
**UCLA Center's Latest Reports

**Comments, requests, information, questions from the field

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
**EMERGING ISSUE
 >OPPORTUNITIES FOR TRANSFORMING HOW SCHOOLS ADDRESS BARRIERS TO LEARNING

As regular readers of ENEWS know, for many years
this section has been devoted solely to Emerging
Issues related to addressing barriers to learning
and teaching. Our plans for the future involve
expanding this to share Emerging Opportunities
for System Transformation as we learn about them.

Federal Incentives to Encourage School Innovations

The U. S. Department of Education is encouraging
reforms and innovations to improve educational
outcomes by offering multiple incentives. What is
being offered provides opportunities for
enhancing efforts to help schools develop a
comprehensive system of learning supports.

For example, the Race to the Top initiative
provides a significant opportunity to propose
fundamental systemic changes to address barriers
to learning and teaching and re-engage
disconnected students. See
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu and click on the
"What's New" icon. Take special note that the
draft describing the Race to the Top initiative
contains a priority currently entitled
"School-Level Conditions for Reform and
Innovation." This is defined as providing schools
with flexibilities and autonomies conducive to
reform and innovation. Examples cited are
"selecting staff, implementing new structures and
formats for the school day or year that expand
learning time, placing budgets under the schools'
control, awarding credit to students based on
student performance instead of instructional
time; and providing comprehensive services to
high-need students (e.g., through local
partnerships, internal staffing, and contracts
with outside providers)." This last example can
easily be expanded from a narrow focus on
services for high-need students to provide a
basis for proposing a comprehensive system of
learning supports for all students.

Note: In pursuing opportunities for school reform
and innovation, it is important to remember that
efforts to improve schools and schooling across a
district are confronted with two enormous tasks.
The first is to develop effective school level
prototypes for enhancing conditions for learning
in the classroom and schoolwide; the second
involves developing an effective operational
infrastructure for accomplishing the major
systemic changes involved in sustainable
large-scale replication of the innovations.

For significant prototype development and
systemic change to occur, policy and program
commitments must be demonstrated through
effective allocation and redeployment of
resources to facilitate organizational and
operational changes. That is, finances,
personnel, time, space, equipment, and other
essential resources must be made available,
organized, and used in ways that adequately
operationalize policy and promising practices.
This includes ensuring sufficient resources to
develop an effective structural foundation for
prototype development, systemic changes,
sustainability, and ongoing capacity building.

This dual emphasis calls for proposing prototypes for:
(1) Creating conditions that ensure all students
have an equal opportunity to succeed at school
(2) Developing an effective operational
infrastructure for accomplishing the major
systemic changes involved in sustainable
large-scale replication of the innovations.
Do you know about any upcoming opportunities for
schools, districts, regional units, and state
departments of education to pursue development of
a comprehensive system to address barriers to
learning and teaching and re-engage disconnected students?
Let us hear from you so we can let others know. Ltaylor at ucla.edu

*NEWS FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY

 >One in three teens have been in a school fight
One in three teens, both boys and girls, say
they've been in a school fight, according to the
latest survey by the National Youth Violence
Prevention Resource Center. In the dynamic of
fighting, there is an attacker and a victim, and
typically, one more child: a witness, who is also
a victim.  Reported by Connect with
Kids
http://www.connectwithkids.com/tipsheet/2009/451_aug19/thisweek/090819_fight.shtml

 >Flaws decried in data on US children's well-being
Serious shortcomings in national data, including
an outdated federal measure of household poverty,
are undermining the task of identifying and
assisting America's most vulnerable children,
according to a report issued by the Annie E.
Casey Foundation. The report urges the government
to overhaul its formula for measuring poverty,
strengthen efforts in the 2010 Census to fully
count children and minorities, and improve the
national vital statistics system to better track
data on disadvantaged families.  7/28/09 http://www.boston.com
 >Mentally Ill Offenders Strain Juvenile System
As cash-starved states slash mental health
programs in communities and schools, they are
increasingly relying on the juvenile corrections
system to handle a generation of young offenders
with psychiatric disorders. About two-thirds of
the nation's juvenile inmates — who numbered
92,854 in 2006, down from 107,000 in 1999 — have
at least one mental illness, according to surveys
of youth prisons, and are more in need of therapy
than punishment. ... At least 32 states cut their
community mental health programs by an average of
5 percent this year and plan to double those
budget reductions by 2010, according to a recent
survey of state mental health offices. Juvenile
prisons have been the caretaker of last resort
for troubled children since the 1980s, but mental
health experts say the system is in crisis,
facing a soaring number of inmates reliant on
multiple — and powerful — psychotropic drugs and
a shortage of therapists. ... youths are often
subjected to neglect and violence in juvenile
prisons, and studies show that mental illnesses
can become worse there. ... According to a
Government Accountability Office report, in 2001,
families relinquished custody of 9,000 children
to juvenile justice systems so they could receive
mental health services. ... Inadequate mental
health services increases recidivism. In a
February report on psychiatric services at the
Ohio River Valley center, Dr. Cheryl Wills, an
independent mental health expert, found that
officials were unnecessarily extending
incarceration for youths who acted out because of
their mental illnesses.  New York Times –
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/10/us/10juvenile.html?_r=1&hp
 >Disabled Students Are Spanked More
More than 200,000 schoolchildren are paddled,
spanked or subjected to other physical punishment
each year, and disabled students get a
disproportionate share of the treatment,
according to a new study. Most states prohibit
corporal punishment in schools, but 20 do not.
Human Rights Watch and the American Civil
Liberties Union are urging federal and state
lawmakers to extend the ban nationwide and enact
an immediate moratorium on physical punishment of
students with disabilities. New York Times,
08/11/09 -  http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/11/education/11punish.html
 >Dropouts Costing Texas billions
The students in the class of 2012 who will drop
out of school are projected to cost Texas and its
economy $6 billion to $10.7 billion over their
lifetimes, a new Texas A&M study found. Dropouts
are more likely to be unemployed or earn less
than high school graduates, pay less in taxes,
get welfare payments or end up in prison. On the
flip side, Texas will save as much as $1.1
billion in the state budget by not having those
same students in the classroom. But the
researchers said the budget savings are swamped
by the long-term economic costs. (Austin American
Statesman, 08/23/09) http://www.statesman.com/
 >What will it take to turn around low graduation-rate high schools?
While high schools with low graduation rates
exist in every state and many communities across
the country, they are concentrated in a subset of
17 states that produce approximately 70% of the
nation's dropouts. Researchers recommend states
seeking Race to the Top funding use data on low
graduation-rate high schools as part of their
plans for turning around failing schools. Jobs
for the Future. Http://www.jff.org
 >Statewide challenge to help prevent students from dropping out
The challenge draws on research that shows most
students send distress signals years before they
drop out of school. Early warning signs displayed
by students nearing or entering transitional
school years (5th-9th grades) have been proven to
be strong dropout predictors. Early warning signs
include poor grades, grade retention, low
attendance, disengagement in the classroom.
Michigan Department of Education News Release.
http://www.cenmi.org/News/NewsDetails/tabid/56/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/359/Flanagan-Announces-Statewide-Challenge-to-Help-Prevent-Students-From-Dropping-Out.aspx

 >National competition to advance school reform
States leading the way on school reform will be
eligible to compete for $4.35 billion in Race to
the Top competitive grants to support education
reform and innovation in classrooms. In addition
to the Race to the Top Fund, over the coming
months the Department plans to award more than
$5.6 billion in additional grants through several
other federal programs that support reform
priorities (Investing in Innovation, Teacher
Incentive, Longitudinal Data Systems, Title I
School Improvement).  Secretary Duncan is calling
on state officials to intentionally prepare to
use money from all of these programs in an
integrated way to advance essential areas of
reforms.  7/24/09 Press Release, U. S. Department
of Education http://www.ed.gov
 >Millions cut from education initiatives
State education officials slashed millions of
dollars from dozens of initiatives, ranging from
preschool to after-school to gifted programs, and
warned of a ‘catastrophic' year ahead, when $2
billion in federal stimulus dollars will dry up.
7/22/09 http://www.suntimes.com
 >Study pinpoints programs that set high schools apart
A recent study found some high schools had higher
graduation rates and did better on state tests
than others of similar socioeconomic status.
Researchers identified six best practices:
transition program, a ninth-grade academy, extra
instruction time both during the school day and
after school, a mentoring program, and a Twilight
Program. 7/27/09 http://www.delawareonline.com
 >Business is brisk for teacher training alternatives
The high unemployment rate has provided an
unexpected boon for the nation's public schools:
legions of career-switchers eager to become
teachers. Across the country, interest in teacher
preparation programs geared toward job-changers
is rising sharply. The newcomers come with a host
of unknowns, including how much training they
will need before they can handle a classroom full
of rowdy or reluctant students and whether they
are likely to stay in a profession that is
struggling with low retention rates. 7/31/09 http://www.washingtonpost.com
 >Hard-hit schools try public-relations push
Financially struggling urban districts are trying
to win back students fleeing to charter schools,
private schools and suburban districts that offer
open enrollment. So they are recording radio ads,
filming TV informercials and buying address lists
for direct-mail campaigns. Administrators working
on the public-relations push say the potential
returns are high. State funding for public
schools is based on attendance, so each new
student brings more money. Some districts also
hope a better image will entice more local
business sponsorships and persuade voters to
support school levies and bond issues. 8/17/09 http://wsj.com
@#@#@#
"If we don't want our schools to look bad, we
need to tackle the real issues – instructing our
children, nurturing them, graduating them –
instead of just putting a papier-mache facade over the problems."
                                                                 Anna
Alicia Romero
                                                                                         @#@#@#@#

Note: Among the sources used in gathering the
above items are ECS e-Clips
http://www.ecs.org/e-clips and the Public
Education Network (PEN) NewsBlast
hattp://www.publiceducation.org/newsblast_current.asp

Each week the Center highlights newsworthy
stories online at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/newsitems.htm

Also access other news stories relevant to
improving addressing barriers to learning through
links at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/linkstolatest.htm

*RECENT PUBLICATIONS (in print and on the Web)

Child, Adolescent, Young Adult Mental and Physical Health

 >Prevention factors for suicide ideation among
abused pre/early adolescent youths. (2009) J.
Logan.  Injury Prevention, 15(4) 278-80.  Http://www.injuryprevention.com

 >Improving the social-behavioral adjustment of
adolescents (2009) A. Harrell, et al., Journal of
Child and Family Studies, 18(4) 378-387. Http://www.netapress.com

 >Psychosocial interventions for school refusal
behavior in children and adolescents (2009) A.
Pina, et al., Child Development Perspectives,
3(1) 11-20. Http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/122270960/abstract

 >Nonmedical prescription drug use among
adolescents (2009) J. Ford. Youth and Society,
40(3) 336-352. Http://yas.sagepub.com

 >A pilot study evaluating a support programme
for parents of young people with suicidal
behaviour. (2009) L. Power, et al., Adolescent
Psychiatry and Mental Health, 3(1) 20. Http://www.capmh.com

 >Case management as a significant component of
usual care psychotherapy for youth with
disruptive behavior problems (2009) R. Zoffness,
et al. Child and Youth Care Forum, 38(4) 185-200.
Http://springerlink.metapress.com

 >Childhood Mental Health Disorders: Evidence
Base and Contextual Factors for Psychosocial,
Psychopharmacological, and Combined Interventions
(2008). Compendium of authors. American Psychological Association.

 >CDC Guidance for State and Local Public Health
Officials and School Administrators for School
(K-12) Responses to the Influenza during the 2009-2010 School Year
http://www.flu.gov/plan/school/index.html

 >Preparing for the Flu: A Communication Toolkit for Schools
http://www.flu.gov/plan/school/toolkit.html

School, Family & Community

 >Measuring and improving school climate (2009)
J. Cohen, A Fege & T. Pickeral. Teachers College
Record. Published 6/25/09. Http://www.tcrecord.org (ID number 15698)

 >Graduating America: Meeting the challenge of
low graduation rate high schools (2009) R.
Balfanz, et al., Jobs for the Future Knowledge Center. Http://www.jff.org

 >The relationship of schools to emotional health
and bullying. (2009) J. Freeman, et al.,
International Journal of Public Health, ePub.
Http://www.springerlink.com/content/1661-8564

 >A school-level analysis of adolescent
extracurricular activity, delinquency, and
depression: the importance of situational
context. (2009) A. Guest & N. McRee., Journal of
Youth and Adolescence, 38(1) 51-62. http://www.springerlink.com/content/104945/

 >The age of uncertainty: parent perspectives on
the transitions of young people with mental
health difficulties into adulthood (2009) P.
Jivanjee, et al., Journal of Child and Family
Studies, 18(4) 435-446. Http://www.netapress.com

 >The impact of community-built playgrounds on
the community (2009) D. Daniels & E. Johnson,
Journal of Trauma, 67 (1Suppl): S16-19. Http://www.jtrauma.com

Policy, Systems, Law, Ethics, Finances & Statistics

 >Safety with dignity: Alternatives to the
over-policing of schools (2009) T. Bahl.
Annenberg Institute for School Reform. Http://www.annenberginstitute.org

https://ncadistore.samhsa.gov/catalog/productDetails.aspx?ProductID=18137=18137

 >Kindergarten through eighth-grade public use
data from the Early Childhood Longitudinal Study,
Kindergarten Class of 1998-99. (2009) National
Center for Education Statistics. Http://nces.ed.gov/ecls/dataproducts.asp

 >An Ecological perspective on the media and
youth development (2009) S. McHale, et al.,
American Behavioral Science 52(8) 1186-1203. Http://abs.sagepub.com

 >Policy statement – The future of pediatrics:
mental health competencies for pediatric primary
care. (2009) Pediatrics 124(1) 410-421. Http://www.pediatrics.org

 >The news media on school crime and violence
(2009) A. Kupchik & N. Bracy. Youth Violence and
Juvenile Justice 7(2) 136-155. Http://yvj.sagepub.com

 >Improvers, adapter and rejecters – the link
between ‘evidence-based practice' and
‘evidence-based practitioners' (2009) N. Midgley.
Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 14(3) 323-327. Http://ccp.sagepub.com

Note: The Quick Find online clearinghouse at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu is updated regularly
with new reports and publications such as those
listed above.  Currently there are over 130
alphabetized topic pages with direct links to
Center materials and to other online resources
and related centers.  Let us know about
publications and reports that should be included
in this dedicated online clearinghouse. Ltaylor at ucla.edu

@#@#@#
         "Deep and sustained reform depends on
many of us, not just on the very few who are destined to be extraordinary."
                                                         Michael Fullan
                                                                                 @#@#@#

*THIS MONTH'S FOCUS FOR SCHOOLS TO ADDRESS BARRIERS TO LEARNING
 >September – Creating a positive school climate
includes plans for welcoming students, families, and school staff
There is a new sense of urgency to improve public
school outcomes. The focus is on  innovation.  As
the Wall Street Journal article in the news
section above describes, public schools in many
cities are using public relations strategies so
stay competitive with open enrollment and school
choice. The beginning of a new school year is a
good time to look at how students and families
experience your school.  How can teachers,
support staff, and administrators make the
experience of returning to school  more welcoming
and supportive.  Think about this as three questions:
 >What can we do to be more welcoming?
 >How will this change our usual procedures?
 >Who will do this?
Look around and consider the following:
 >As families arrive at the school, think about their first experiences:
 >>Is there someone outside designated to direct
families to parking, office entrance, and answer
initial questions?  This might be a great way to
involve the school support staff.
 >>Is there a resource table in the front hallway
to answer frequently asked questions quickly and
provide written information that families and
students need?  This is a good place for family volunteers.
 >>Is there help for the office staff so they can
enroll students efficiently? Might do temporary
reassignment of student support staff and administrators to help out.
 >>Are there student volunteers available to show
incoming students around the building and to their classrooms?

 >In classrooms, teachers welcome new students
and some provide an opportunity for peer to peer
welcoming programs to support new students as
they navigate the social dynamics of   the new
classroom and school. This is a natural
opportunity to provide social and emotional
learning and to enhance school climate.
Welcoming new students, their families, and staff
is part of the broader goal of creating schools
where staff, students and families interact
positively with each other and identify with the
school and its goals. An atmosphere can be
created that fosters smooth transitions, positive
informal encounters, and social interactions;
facilitates social support; provides
opportunities for ready access to information and
for learning how to function effectively in the
school culture; and encourages involvement in
decision-making. Welcoming and social support are
critical elements both in creating a positive
sense of community at a school and in
facilitating students' school adjustment and performance.

For more ideas and resources see:
Welcoming and Involving New Students and Families
– Guidelines, strategies, and resource aids for
planning, implementing, and evolving programs to
enhance activities for welcoming and involving
new students and families in schools.
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/welcome/welcome.pdf
Also see a broad range of resources available
through the Center's Online Clearinghouse Quick Find topic
Transition programs/Grade articulation/Welcome
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/qf/p2101_01.htm

Planning and sustaining a welcoming atmosphere is
a great job for a Learning Support Resource
Team.  For more on this key mechanism, see
Resource Oriented Teams: Key Infrastructure
Mechanisms for Enhancing Education Supports
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/Report/resource_oriented_teams.pdf
Note: It is important to anticipate major
concerns that arise with regularity over the
course of the school year.  These provide natural
opportunities to strengthen support for
learning.  For a calendar of monthly concerns and
themes, see Ideas for Enhancing Support at Your
School this Month on the homepage at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

@#@#@#@#
"We knew we had a problem when we realized that
all the signs at the entrance to our school said
NO (weapons, drugs, unauthorized visitors, etc., etc.) instead of WELCOME!"
                                                                                         @#@#@#

http://www.intercamhs.org/html/principals_survey.html

http://www.pbs.org/inthemix/itm_main.html

http://www.effectivechildtherapy.com/

http://www.oas.samhsa.gov/2k9/youthdepression/mdeandtxtforadol.htm

http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/124/1/393

http://www.urban.org/publications/411927.html

 >Best Evidence Encyclopedia: Empowering
educators with evidence on proven programs
http://www.bestevidence.org

http://www.evidencebasedprograms.org/

http://toptierevidence.org

http://www.massinsight.org/micontent/trnresources.aspx

 >Health Care Reform and Adolescents—An Agenda
for the Lifespan: A Position Paper of the Society for Adolescent Medicine
http://www.adolescenthealth.org/PositionStatement_Health_Care_Reform_and_Adolescents.pdf

Note: For a wide range of relevant websites, see
our Gateway to a World of Resources at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/gateway/gateway_sites.htm

         @#@#@
                 "You can't get ahead while getting even."
                                                         Armey's Axion
                                                                         @#@#@#

http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/upconf.htm

http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/upcall.htm

http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/job.htm

 >Upcoming/Archived Webcasts
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/webcast.htm

Note: Information on each of these is updated on
an ongoing basis on our website.  Just click on
the indicated URL or on What's New on our website
at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu.  If you would like
to add information on these, please sent it to ltaylor at ucla.edu

*UCLA CENTER UPDATE

New Resources

 >Strategic Design Work -- helping state
departments and districts design a Comprehensive System of Learning Supports
In working with system design teams at state and
district levels, it is helpful to begin with some
general guidance for the design process. The
following are recently developed  working drafts
of aids related to our work with the Louisiana Department of Education.
 >Generic Outline for a Design Document for a
comprehensive system of learning supports

 >Templates for preparing the following sections of a design document:
         >Introduction and Imperative
         >Intervention Framework
         >Operational Infrastructure
         >Policy Considerations

 >Guidance Notes for Outside Facilitators working
with a state or district to guide a design team
working on creating a comprehensive system of learning supports

 >A working draft for Guide for Team Designing a
Comprehensive System to Address Barriers to
Learning and Teaching and Reengage Disconnected Students

Each of these aids can be accessed from the
Toolkit on our Website – go to A Set of Aids for
Design Teams at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/toolkita.htm

Responding to Input From Young Adult Advisors

We have invited the university students who staff
our Center to become the initial core for the
Center's informal Young Adult Advisory group. The
first questions we posed to them asked about what
they found helpful at key transitions in their
education (middle to high school, high school to
college). As might be expected, they confirm the
important role that peers play in providing
transition support, information, networking and
stress that students who have difficulty with
these transitions are those least likely to seek
help from adults. As the Center strives to
enhance information about policies and practices
related to peer support (informal and formal) and
how schools can reach out more effectively to
students at risk, we hope that you will share any
information and resources related to these concerns. Send to  Ltaylor at ucla.edu

Note: We continually update the resources on our
website. A convenient way to access information
is through the Quick Find online clearinghouse.
Alphabetized by topics, you can access
information over 130 topics relevant to
addressing barriers to learning. Each includes
links to Center Resources, online reports, others
centers focusing on the topic, and relevant
publications. Go to http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu
and click on Quick Find. If you would like to add
a resource, let us know. Ltaylor at ucla.edu. For
more information on the UCLA Center for Mental
Health in Schools, go to the website at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu or contact Howard
Adelman and Linda Taylor, Co-directors at the
School Mental Health Project for Mental Health in
Schools, UCLA, Department of Psychology, Los
Angeles, CA 90095. Phone(310) 825-3634. Toll Free
(866) 846-4843. Fax (310) 206-8716. Email: smhp at ucla.edu

Check out our sister center, The Center for
School Mental Health at http://csmh.umaryland.edu
or contact Mark Weist, Director, CSMH, University
of Maryland at Baltimore, Department of
Psychiatry, 737 W. Lombard St 4th floor,
Baltimore, MD 21202. Toll Free (888)706-0980. Email: csmh at psych.umaryland.edu

The CSMH will hold the 14th Annual Conference on
Advancing School Mental Health - November 2 - 4,
2009 - Hilton Minneapolis, Minneapolis,
Minnesota. The theme for the conference is
"School Mental Health: Promoting Success for All Students."
  See http://csmh.umaryland.edu/conf_meet/AnnualConference/index.html

*COMMENTS, REQUESTS, INFORMATION, QUESTIONS FROM THE FIELD

We were asked to share with you these training opportunities
 >"Parents Raising Safe Kids Facilitator
Training. November 6-7, 2009, John F. Kennedy
University in Pleasant Hill, CA – This is
described as an eight-week, evidence-based parent
education course developed by the American
Psychological Association. It focuses on the
impact of family and social violence on young
children aged 0-8 years. For more information
contact dcombs at jfku.edu    http://www.jfku.edu/act

 > The Collaborative for Academic, Social, and
Emotional Learning (CASEL) announces its Fall
2009 Social Emotional Learning (SEL)
Implementation Training Workshop, Oct. 5-6, in
Chicago. The workshop equips school teams with
the tools and skills to implement high quality,
sustainable, evidence-based SEL programming that
is integrated into all aspects of schooling.  For
information and registration form
see:  http://www.casel.org/downloads/registration_flyer_7.11.09.pdf
  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

THIS IS THE END OF THIS ISSUE OF E-NEWS

See below for source identifying information
Who Are We? Under the auspices of the School
Mental Health Project in the Department of
Psychology at UCLA, the national Center for
Mental Health in Schools was established in 1995.
The Project and Center are co-directed by Howard
Adelman and Linda Taylor. The UCLA Center is one
of two national centers first funded in
October,1995, by the Office of Adolescent Health,
Maternal and Child Health Bureau(Title V, Social
Security Act), Health Resources and Services
Administration, U.S. Dept. of Health & Human
Services (Project #U45MC00175). In open
competition, both Centers were refunded in 2000
for a second 5 year cycle with the Substance
Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's
Center for Mental Health Services joining HRSA as
a co-funder. In 2005 after open competition, both
Centers were funded for a third five year cycle.
(In this cycle, SAMHSA joined HRSA as a co-funder
only for the first year.) As sister Centers, the
Center at UCLA and the one at the University of
Maryland focus on advancing efforts to enhance
how schools address mental health and
psychosocial concerns. A description and
evaluation of the Center's work and impact is
available at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

For more information about the Center or about
ENEWS, contact Center Coordinator Perry Nelson or
Center Co-Directors Howard Adelman and Linda
Taylor at: UCLA School Mental Health
Project/Center for Mental Health in Schools
Box 951563, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1563
Phone (310) 825-3634; Toll Free (866) 846-4843;
Fax (310) 206-8716; email: smhp at ucla.edu