[mentalhealth-l] ENEWS: November, 2009 (Vol. 14 #2)

SMHP smhp at ucla.edu
Mon Nov 2 09:30:04 PST 2009

[]

November, 2009 (Vol. 14 #2)

ENEWS is one of the many resources provided by
the School Mental Health Project/ Center for
Mental Health in Schools at UCLA.  This
electronic newsletter is sent to those concerned
with enhancing policies, programs, and practices
related to addressing barriers to student
learning and to promoting mental health in
schools.  For more on what our federally
supported national Center offers, see http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

<><><><<><><><>
We encourage you to forward this to others.
If you have been forwarded this ENEWS
and want to sign up to receive it directly,
please let us know.  Contact smhp at ucla.edu
<><><><><><><>

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
WHAT'S HERE THIS MONTH

**Emerging Practice: Any Issues?
 >Chicago's New Strategy for Addressing Students "At Risk" of Violence
**News from around the country

**Recent publications relevant to
 >Child and adolescent mental and physical health
 >School, family, & community
 >Policy, systems, law, ethics, finances & statistics
**This month's focus for schools to address barriers to learning
 >November – Responding to Referrals in Ways that Can "Stem the Tide"
**Other helpful Internet resources

**Links to
 >Upcoming initiatives, conferences & workshops
 >Upcoming and archived webcasts and online professional development
 >Calls for grant proposals, presentations & papers
 >Training and job opportunities
**UCLA Center's Latest Reports

**Comments, requests, information, questions from the field

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Emerging Practice: Any Issues?

 >Chicago's New Strategy for Addressing Students "At Risk" of Violence

Excerpt from the New York Times 10/7/09
"The new chief officer of the public schools
here, Ron Huberman, a former police officer and
transit executive with a passion for data
analysis, has a plan to stop the killings of the
city's public school students. And it does not
have to do with guns or security guards. It has
to do with statistics and probability....

But if Mr. Huberman's hunch is right, about
10,000 high school students with the highest risk
of becoming involved the violence as victims, or
even perpetrators, will be better off once his plan is in place this winter.

Financed by federal stimulus grants for two
years, the $60 million plan uses a formula
gleaned from an analysis of more than 500
students who were shot over the last several
years to predict the characteristics of potential
future victims, including when and where they
might be attacked. While other big city school
districts, including New York, have tried to
focus security efforts on preventing violence,
this plan goes further by identifying the most
vulnerable students and saturating them with
adult attention, including giving each of them a
paid job and a local advocate who would be on call for support 24 hours a day.

 From the study of the 500 shootings, Mr.
Huberman said, officials know that deadly violent
outbursts are not truly random. The students at
highest risk of violence, by statistics, are most
likely to be black, male, without a stable living
environment, in special education, skipping an
average of 42 percent of school days at
neighborhood and alternative schools, and having
a record of in-school behavioral flare-ups that
is about eight times higher than the average student.

Attacks have typically happened beyond a two-hour
window from the start and end of school  ­ that
is, late at night or very early in the morning  ­
and blocks away from school grounds, where
neighborhood boundaries press against one another.

Within the three dozen or so schools where 80
percent of the victims in the study attended
classes, the plan calls for a rethinking of the
security philosophy so that policies favor mental
health strategies and prevention over policing
and punishment. And officials are becoming more
strategic about providing safe passage to school
by increasing police enforcement and by keeping
tabs on gang and clique activities in real time
as their turf wars hopscotch around school catchment areas....

Chicago typically spends $55 million a year on
security for what is the third-largest school
system in the nation. With the new plan, it will
be spending $30 million a year on just the 10,000 adolescents most at risk....

The immediate challenge for Chicago is rolling
out the complicated plan, which involves the
coordination of various city departments and
agencies, including the Police Department and
Department of Children and Family Services, and
local nonprofit and community groups.

The students will also have ‘to bite,' as Mr.
Huberman puts it, adding that many are
unaccustomed to having the kind of meaningful
adult relationships the program envisions. To
help get their buy-in, the program includes
part-time jobs for students who participate. (No
student who participates would be publicly
identified, officials said, except to the adults
involved in his or her intervention.)

‘We believe that if we can change the behavior of
these 10,000 students,' Mr. Huberman said, ‘we'll
be able to make a significant difference in the
level of violence in the city.'"
What do you think about this new strategy? Have
you tried this in your community? Other
strategies? Let us know. Send comments to ltaylor at ucla.edu

NEWS FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY

Healthy People 2020 Objectives Online for Public Comment
The Federal Interagency Work Group has reviewed
proposed objectives and the public is invited to
comment. These objectives will help shape policy
and decisions related to resources over the next
decade. See http://www.healthypeople.gov/hp2020/Comments/
Dropouts Costing State $1.1 Billion Annually in Juvenile Crime Costs
High school dropouts, who are more likely to
commit crimes than their peers with diplomas,
cost California $1.1 billion annually in law
enforcement and victim costs while still minors.
Pending legislation would require the state
Department of Education to produce an annual
report that accurately depicts the number of
students not finishing school.  The report would
also identify early signs that a student might be
on the path to dropping out, such as
truancy.  Such indicators would allow schools to
target at-risk students.  9/24/09
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-dropouts24-2009sep24,0,1426878.story
Getting Dropouts Back in Class
This year, the Des Moines school district is
reaching out to students who have dropped out by
knocking on front doors. About 300 volunteers, a
mix of district staff, teachers, community
leaders, and parents, west door to door asking
more than 400 former students to return to
school. Each high school has been assigned a
counselor who will meet individually with
returning students and coordinate support
services. 9/25/09
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090925/NEWS/909250368

Nearly Half of District 5th Graders Not Ready for Middle School
As Dallas schools focus on getting all students
ready for college, they face a daunting challenge
uncovered by a new district tracking system:
Almost half of fifth graders are not even ready
for middle school. To be considered ready for
middle school, fifth graders have to pass the
state exams in reading, math and science, and
could not fail more than one core academic class.
10/22/09
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/102209dnmetfifthgrade.3d3bdd1.html

Chicago School Closings Found To Yield Few Gains
A majority of Chicago students affected by school
closings were sent to schools that were
low-performing, just like those they left behind
-- moves that had no significant impact on
performance for most students, a University of
Chicago study concludes. The study found,
however, that students who transferred to some of
the district''s highest-performing schools did
show progress. A Chicago-style strategy is a
feature of Secretary of Education Arne Duncan''s
push to turn around the nation''s
lowest-performing schools. (Education Week,
premium article access compliments of edweek.org,
10/28/09) - http://www.edweek.org/
School Changes the Dynamics of Recess
At Anderson Elementary School, recess has
undergone significant changes aimed to alleviate
bullying and spur children to be more
active.  New ball games and games of tag have
been introduced that encourage teamwork and
emphasize cooperation instead of competition.
Students are being taught techniques to settle
playground disagreements without an adult.
10/12/09 http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2009/10/18/recess/
Schools Gain Parental Involvement through Stomachs
In the battle to get parents through the door of
the state's poorest schools, principals are
turning to a traditional gathering device...food.
"When we're providing food, hundreds of people
will attend. When there is no food, the number of
people who attend is in the teens." There is a
good reason for the steep public investment. A
2006 Harvard study found that grades jumped for
kids whose parents participated in afterschool
activities, including parent-teacher conferences
and parent nights.  10/23/09 http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_13622927
Needed: An Overhaul of Teacher Prep
At a speech to Columbia University's Teachers
College, Secretary of Education Arne Duncan
called for a broad overhaul of the nation's
teacher colleges. Duncan, as reported by the
Associated Press, explained that prep programs
are lucrative for the institutions that offered
them, but fail to adequately prepare teachers for
the classroom. Large enrollment and low overhead
make them "cash cows" for universities, but
profits are diverted to smaller, more prestigious
departments rather than invested in research and
training for would-be teachers. Duncan also
faulted state governments for overly easy
licensing that does not gauge classroom readiness
and for failing to track which programs turn out
effective teachers and which do not. If the
country is to reach the president's global goal
of the most college graduates by 2020, "both our
K-12 system and our teacher preparation programs
have to get dramatically better," said Duncan. He
pointed to the administration's use of stimulus
dollars to reward states that tie student
achievement data to their education schools and
to the demand to pay for an expansion of teacher
residency programs in high-needs schools. Duncan
stressed that timing is crucial. A third of
veteran teachers are poised to retire, which
could create a million new teaching positions
over the next four
years.  http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091022/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_teachers
See the secretary's speech:
http://www.ed.gov/news/speeches/2009/10/10222009.html
250,000 Teaching Jobs Created/Saved by Stimulus
States have used economic stimulus dollars to
fills in shortfalls in their education budgets
and create or save 250,000 education jobs
according to a new report on the impact of the
approximately $100 billion in stimulus funds
devoted to education. 10/19/09
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125595558510893973.html
Budget Cuts Push Some Classrooms Way Over Capacity
Many Los Angeles Unified schools have lost some
teachers, resulting in bigger class sizes. There
have been significant cuts to clerical, custodial
and cafeteria staffs, and, in secondary schools,
to counselors and administrators as well.
..Recognition that students respond best to
teachers who care about them as individual
becomes more difficult as class sizes
expand.  9/25/09
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ed-cuts20-2009sep20,0,2312077.story
Note: Among the sources used in gathering the
above items are ECS e-Clips
http://www.ecs.org/e-clips and the Public
Education Network (PEN) NewsBlast
http://www.publiceducation.org/newsblast_current.asp

Each week the Center highlights newsworthy
stories online at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/newsitems.htm

Also access other news stories relevant to
improving addressing barriers to learning through
links at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/linkstolatest.htm

@#@#@#
         "I'm not saying we've solved the dropout
problem, but it's going in the right
direction.  I think everybody's initial response
is to bring in big programs.  The way our
district thinks has changed....We've stopped
trying to look at students through new eyes and
started looking at our school through kids' eyes."
                                                                         Mark
White
                                                                                 @#@#@#

RECENT PUBLICATIONS (in print and on the Web)

Child, Adolescent, Young Adult Mental and Physical Health
 >Mental Health in Schools: Preventing Problems,
and Improving Schools (2010) H. Adelman & L.
Taylor. Thousand Oaks: Corwin
Press.  Http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/corwin/mhinschoolsflyer.pdf

 >Parenting and homelessness. Special section of
the American Journal of Orthopsychiatry. Articles
include practice, policy, and research
recommendations to support parents as they
stabilize their lives, care for their children,
and move out of homelessness. Free access to full
articles online at http://homeless.samhsa.gov/Channel/View.aspx?id=403

 >What we know about at-risk students (2009) F.
Johnson & W. Perkins.  National Association of
Secondary School Principals Bulletin 93(2)
122-124. http://bul.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/93/2/122

 >Social environment and problem behavior (2009)
A. March & A. Atav,  Journal of School Nursing,
ePub http://jsn.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/1059840509343112v1

 >Risk-taking behavior in adolescence (2009) N.
Leather, Journal of Child Health Care 13(3)
295-304. http://chc.sagepub.com/cgi/content/refs/13/3/295

 >Identifying learning problems in children
evaluation for ADHD. (2009) A. Bennett, et al.,
Pediatrics 124(4) 633-639.
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/peds.2009-0143v1

 >School bullying among adolescents in the U. S.:
Physical, verbal, relational, and cyber (2009) J.
Wang, et al., Journal of Adolescent Health 45(4)
368-375 http://www.jahonline.org/article/S1054-139X(09)00138-4/abstract

 >Homework interventions for children with
attention and learning problems (2009) S.
Sheridan, School Psychology Review 38(3) 334-337.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_go1715/is_200909/ai_n39232860/

School, Family & Community
 >Mental Health in Schools: Preventing Problems,
and Improving Schools (2010) H. Adelman & L.
Taylor. Thousand Oaks: Corwin Press.
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/corwin/mhinschoolsflyer.pdf

 >Diffusion of school-based prevention programs
in two urban districts: Adaptations, rationales,
and suggestions for change (2009) E. Ozer, et al.,  Prevention Science ePub
http://www.springerlink.com/content/h42011r153834714/fulltext.pdf

 >Adolescent dispositions for antisocial behavior
in context: The roles of neighborhood
dangerousness and parental knowledge (2009) C.
Trentacosta, et al., Journal of Abnormal
Psychology 118(3) 564-75.  http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/abn/118/3/564.pdf

 >Sources of prescriptions for misuse by
adolescents (2009) T. Schepis, et al., Journal of
the American Academy of Child & Adolescent
Psychiatry 48(8) 828-836.
http://journals.lww.com/jaacap/Abstract/2009/08000/Sources_of_Prescriptions_for_Misuse_by.11.aspx

 >Nonmedical prescription drug use among
adolescents: The influence of bonds to family and
school (2009) J. Ford, Youth & Society 40,
336-352 http://yas.sagepub.com/cgi/content/short/40/3/336

 >Response to intervention, collaboration, and
co-teaching: A logical combination for successful
systemic change (2009) W. Murawski & C. Hughes,
Preventing School Failure 53(4) 267-277.

 >Developing a citywide youth violence prevention
plan (2009) B. Payne & D. Button, International
Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative
Criminology 53(5) 517-534. http://ijo.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/53/5/517

Policy, Systems, Law, Ethics, Finances & Statistics
 >The influence of "No Child Left Behind"
legislation on drug prevention in U. S. schools
(2009) H. Cho, et al., Evaluation Review 33(5)
446-463. http://erx.sagepub.com/cgi/content/refs/33/5/446

 >A Multivariate analysis of youth violence and
aggression: The influence of family, peers,
depression, and media violence (2009) C.
Ferguson, et al, Journal of Pediatrics ePub
http://www.jpeds.com/article/S0022-3476(09)00576-9/abstract

 >Cultural competence: A literature review and
conceptual model for mental health services
(2009) M. Hernandez, et al., Psychiatric
Services, 60(8) 1046-1050.  Summarized at
http://datatrends.fmhi.usf.edu/summary_155.pdf

 >High School Dropout and Completion Rates in the
United States 2007 (2009) National Center for
Education Statistics http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=2009064

Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention http://www.iir.com/nygc/nygsa

 >Economic crisis and children (2009) M. Patel,
Global Social Policy 9(1) 33-54.
http://gsp.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/9/1_suppl/33
Note: The Quick Find online clearinghouse at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu is updated regularly
with new reports and publications such as those
listed above.  Currently there are over 130
alphabetized topic pages with direct links to
Center materials and to other online resources
and related centers.  Let us know about
publications and reports that should be included
in this dedicated online clearinghouse.  Ltaylor at ucla.edu

@#@#@#
                 The first day of school is
always special to me.  It's the only day of the year when
                I'm not behind in my homework.
                                                                                 @#@#@#

THIS MONTH'S FOCUS FOR SCHOOLS TO ADDRESS BARRIERS TO LEARNING

November - Responding to Referrals in Ways that Can "Stem the Tide"

While the school year starts with a clean slate,
after the initial welcome back and focus on early
adjustment problems, by November teachers are
asking for help for some students. In many
schools, the only next step is to put the
students' names on a long (and growing) list for
the case conference meeting. An alternative to
this case by case approach, is to look at the
most frequently occurring problems and introduce
new supports to address them. This is consistent
with a system focus related to information
generated by Response to Intervention efforts and
should reduce the number of students who need individual case conferences.

The analysis of the most common problems can best
be done by a Learning Support Resource Team at a
school; such a group can analyze aggregated and
disaggregated data.  In identifying the most
pressing needs at the school, the Learning
Support team can recommend priorities and how
available resources can be deployed and redeployed most effectively.

As schools and their Learning Support Teams work
to improve things, it helps if the focus
initially is on doing some highly visible
concerns that can be addressed quickly. This can
generate a sense that system improvement is
feasible and allows an early sense of
accomplishment. It also can generate some
excitement and increase the commitment and involvement of others.

Examples of such activities are:
• Establishment of a "Support for Transition"
program for new students and families (e.g.,
welcoming and social support programs such as
trained Student Peer Buddies to welcome and act
as part of a social support system for new
students in every classroom, trained Parent Peer
Buddies to welcome and act as part of a social
support system for new parents; training for
volunteers who staff a welcoming table in the
front office; training and support for office
staff so that they can play a constructive role
with newcomers; development of welcoming and
orientation materials in all relevant languages)

• Development of a program for recruiting,
screening, training, and nurturing volunteers to
work with targeted students in classrooms or to
become mentors and advocates for students in need

• Providing teachers with staff development not
only for how to request special services for a
few but how to enhance capacity in the classroom
to effectively address the many students who need
assistance  (e.g., how to use prereferral
interventions, volunteers, invite student support
staff in to help develop new approaches)

• Publicizing and encouraging appreciation for
new approaches at the site – Every means feasible
(e.g., handouts, charts, newsletters, bulletin
boards) should be used to make the activity
visible and keep all stakeholders informed and
involved. For example, as soon as resources are
mapped, information about what is available and
how to access it should be circulated to staff, parents, and students.
Finally, don't forget to gather some baseline
data (e.g., on attendance, tardies, referrals,
timeouts, suspensions). In the short run, the
task is to help the site staff organize their
record keeping to ensure they get credit for
progress. Also, survey teachers regarding the
school's efforts to address barriers to learning
and enhance healthy development (e.g., ratings of
knowledge and satisfaction with programs and
services). These data are important when it comes
time to make the case with site based decision
makers that the focus on student and learning
supports is worth the time, effort, and money.
(Minimally, someone needs to keep a "log" to show
all the activities carried out, all the changes
and improvements that have been made, and to have
a record of a representative set of anecdotes
describing teacher/family/student success stories.)

For more on using resources most effectively in
addressing the most common pressing problems, see
Developing Resource-Oriented Mechanisms to
Enhance Learning Supports
-http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/contedu/developing_resource_oriented-mechanisms.pdf

Note: It is important to anticipate major
concerns that arise with regularity over the
course of the school year. These provide natural
opportunities to strengthen support for
learning.  For a calendar of monthly concerns and
themes, see Ideas for Enhancing Support at Your
School this Month on the homepage at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

@#@#@#
                                 Playing truant
from school is like a credit card.
                                         Fun now, pay later!
                                                                         @#@#@#@

http://www.nccp.org/publications/pub_885.html

– http://ncptsd.va.gov/ncmain/ncdocs/manuals/nc_manual_psyfirstaid.html

 >A pivotal moment: Sustaining the success and
enhancing the future of the Juvenile Justice and
Delinquency Prevention Act – http://njjn.org/resource_1325.html

http://www.ed.gov/programs/titleiparta/rti.html

–
http://www.doe.in.gov/super/2009/09-September/092509/documents/memo_hs_risk.pdf

http://ies.ed.gov/ncee/edlabs/projects/project.asp?projectID=135

Education System – http://www.nccrest.org

http://www.urban.org/publications/901279.html

http://ojjdp.ncjrs.gov/publications/pubabstract.asp?pubi=240604

 >Family guide to Systems of Care for children
with mental health needs
–  http://ncadistore.samhsa.gov/campaigns/caringyouth/cfoy.aspx

 >Children with special health care needs:
Knowledge path –
http://www.mchlibrary.info/knowledgepaths/kp_cshcn.html

 >Hiring (and keeping) urban teachers: A
coordinated approach to new teacher support
–  http://www.bpe.org/files/NewTeacherSupport.pdf

http://www.publicschoolinsights.org/sites/default/files/assets/LFAPrinciplesMeasuringTurnaroundSuccess.pdf

 >Free resources from SAMHSA's National Mental
Health Information Center –  http://nmhicstore.samhsa.gov/

Note: For a wide range of relevant websites, see
our Gateway to a World of Resources
at  http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/gateway/gateway_sites.htm

@#@#@#
                 In discussing school budget
cuts, one principal summed up her response:
                         "There is no point in
standing in the middle of our accident.
                         We're going to dust off,
get our car fixed and get it back on the road."
                                                                                  Tracie
Bryant
                                                                                                 @#@#@#

http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/upconf.htm

Papers – http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/upcall.htm

 >Training and Job Opportunities – http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/job.htm

 >Upcoming/Archived Webcasts – http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

Note: Information on each of these is updated on
an ongoing basis on our website.  Just click on
the indicated URL or on What's New on our website
at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu. If you would like
to add information on these, please send it to ltaylor at ucla.edu

UCLA CENTER UPDATE

New Book Focused on Advancing the Field
Mental Health in Schools: Engaging Learners,
Preventing Problems, and Improving Schools  by
the Center co-directors Howard Adelman and Linda
Taylor – just Published by Corwin Press see
description at   http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/corwin/mhinschoolsflyer.pdf
New Hot Topic
Last month's ENEWS focused on "Preparing Everyone
for College: What are the Implications?"  We have
included the questions posed by the Public Health
Agenda and the Urban Institute for their webcast
and the number of responses we received. See
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/hottopic.htm
If you would like to weigh in on this important
issue, send your response to ltaylor at ucla.edu
New Directions for Student Support
 >New Design Document from the Department of Education in Louisiana
A dedicated group working across offices and
divisions in the Louisiana Department of
Education has produced their design for
Louisiana's Comprehensive Learning Supports
System.  at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/summit2002/ladesigndocument.pdf.
The next steps include plans for implementation,
capacity building, and evaluation.

 >Webinar: Strengthening School Improvement –
Developing a Comprehensive System of Learning
Supports to Address Barriers to Learning and Teaching
On October 29 this collaborative efforts of the
American Association of School Administrators,
Scholastic, and the UCLA Center for Mental Health
in Schools presented to over 200 web
participants.  The powerpoint and related
material from the webinar are online at:
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/rebuild/rebuilding.htm
The recorded webinar will be added to the
Center's website in the next few days.

Soon available online at Teachertube - A video
message about Louisana's Comprehensive Learning
Supports System from State Superintendent Paul
Pastorek
(http://teachertube.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=138867&title=Louisiana_s_Student_Learning_Supports_Initiative)

Updated Resources
 >Video additions to Quick Finds
related to learning supports, we are adding links
to videos in our Quick Find online clearinghouse
topic pages.  If you have recommendations, please let us know.
Note: We continually update the resources on our
website.  A convenient way to access information
is through the Quick Find online
clearinghouse.  Alphabetized by topics, you can
access information on over 130 topics relevant to
addressing barriers to learning.  Each includes
links to Center Resources, online reports, other
centers focusing on the topic, and relevant
publications.  Go to http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu
and click on Quick Find.  If you would like to
add a resource, let us know.  Ltaylor at ucla.edu.

For more information on the UCLA Center for
Mental Health in Schools, go to the website at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu or contact Howard
Adelman and Linda Taylor, Co-directors at the
School Mental Health Project for Mental Health in
Schools, UCLA, Department of Psychology, Los
Angeles, CA 90095. Phone(310) 825-3634. Toll Free
(866) 846-4843. Fax (310) 206-8716. Email: smhp at ucla.edu

Check out our sister center, The Center for
School Mental Health at http://csmh.umaryland.edu
or contact Mark Weist, Director, CSMH, University
of Maryland at Baltimore, Department of
Psychiatry, 737 W. Lombard St 4th floor,
Baltimore, MD 21202. Toll Free (888)706-0980. Email: csmh at psych.umaryland.edu

COMMENTS, REQUESTS, INFORMATION, QUESTIONS FROM THE FIELD
"I'm writing to let you know about a special
needs resource that your community of website
visitors may find helpful, especially parents.
Care.com is a national leader helping families
find child care and special needs care. Care.com
offers a wide variety of free special needs
resources and articles. Please consider referring
your visitors in need of information to: Care.com
-Caregiver Guide for Special Needs
Many parents have found our specific ADD page
especially helpful:  Caring for a Child with ADHD or ADD"
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
THIS IS THE END OF THIS ISSUE OF E-NEWS

See below for source identifying information
Who Are We? Under the auspices of the School
Mental Health Project in the Department of
Psychology at UCLA, the national Center for
Mental Health in Schools was established in 1995.
The Project and Center are co-directed by Howard
Adelman and Linda Taylor. The UCLA Center is one
of two national centers first funded in
October,1995, by the Office of Adolescent Health,
Maternal and Child Health Bureau(Title V, Social
Security Act), Health Resources and Services
Administration, U.S. Dept. of Health & Human
Services (Project #U45MC00175). In open
competition, both Centers were refunded in 2000
for a second 5 year cycle with the Substance
Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's
Center for Mental Health Services joining HRSA as
a co-funder. In 2005 after open competition, both
Centers were funded for a third five year cycle.
(In this cycle, SAMHSA joined HRSA as a co-funder
only for the first year.) As sister Centers, the
Center at UCLA and the one at the University of
Maryland focus on advancing efforts to enhance
how schools address mental health and
psychosocial concerns. A description and
evaluation of the Center's work and impact is
available at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

For more information about the Center or about
ENEWS, contact Center Coordinator Perry Nelson or
Center Co-Directors Howard Adelman and Linda
Taylor at: UCLA School Mental Health
Project/Center for Mental Health in Schools; Box
951563, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1563
Phone (310) 825-3634; Toll Free (866) 846-4843;
Fax (310) 206-8716; email: smhp at ucla.edu