[mentalhealth-l] ENEWS: February, 2009 (Vol. 13 #5)

SMHP smhp at ucla.edu
Fri Jan 30 09:14:35 PST 2009

[]

February, 2009 (Vol. 13 #5)

ENEWS is one of the many resources provided by
the School Mental Health Project/ Center for
Mental Health in Schools at UCLA.  This
electronic newsletter is sent to those concerned
with enhancing policies, programs, and practices
related to addressing barriers to student
learning and to promoting mental health in
schools.  For more on what our federally
supported national Center offers, see http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

<><><><<><><><>
We encourage you to forward this to others.
If you have been forwarded this ENEWS
and want to sign up to receive it directly,
please let us know.  Contact smhp at ucla.edu
<><><><><><><>

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

WHAT'S HERE THIS MONTH

**Emerging Issue
 >Can the case be made that student support is
essential to school improvement?
**News from around the country

**Recent publications relevant to
 >Child and adolescent mental and physical health
 >Family, school & community
 >Policy, systems, law, ethics, finances & statistics
**This month's focus for schools to address barriers to learning
 >February – The mid-point of a school year: Report cards and conferences –
                         Another barriers or a challenging opportunity?
**Other helpful Internet resources

**Links to
 >Upcoming initiatives, conferences & workshops
 >Upcoming and archived webcasts and online professional development
 >Calls for grant proposals, presentations & papers
 >Training and job opportunities
**UCLA Center update

**Comments, requests, information, questions from the field

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Emerging Issue
 >Can the case be made that student support is
essential to school improvement?
Current reductions-in-force of student support
staff due to the local, state and nationwide
budget crisis has turned this concern into a fundamental education issue.

Where there is a wholesale lay-off of such
personnel, it is clear that school decision
makers don't see that student support is
essential to school improvement. Where wholesale
lay-offs are not occurring, it is clear that
schools recognize a need. Where there is a move
to contract-out the work of such personnel, the
need also is recognized, but the potential role
school support staff should be playing in school
improvement is not really appreciated.

In his confirmation hearing, U. S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan stated:
"...we know that only about 70 percent of high
school students graduate. America once led the
world in high school graduation, and now we're
falling behind other industrialized nations. We
can't continue down this path. We must identify
students at risk of failure by the middle school
years if not earlier –– and target interventions
to them. ... Appropriately supporting students
with disabilities, helping English language learners to be successful

"

[In Chicago] "... we've fought very, very hard

to give every child the opportunity to develop
their skills, to develop their unique interests
and talent and give them reason to be motivated
to come to school every single day.
we want
every child to have those kinds of opportunities
to grow their unique skills and interests."
In order to accomplish the above, the role of
student support is an issue that warrants
considerable immediate attention as budget
cutting proceeds and as discussion continues
related to the reauthorization of the Elementary
and Secondary Education Act. As a stimulus for
this discussion, see Opportunities for Change in
Challenging Times: School Improvement and
Learning Supports online at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/Newsletter/winter09.pdf

Let us hear your views on this so we can air
them. Send your ideas, suggestions, comments to ltaylor at ucla.edu

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
**NEWS FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY

 > Senate Approves Children’s Health Bill
The Senate passed H.R. 2, renewing and expanding
the State Children's Health Insurance Program and
extending critical mental health parity benefits
to millions of recipients for the first time.
Among other provisions, this legislation requires
that mental health services must be offered at no
more restrictive limitations than medical
services for SCHIP recipients.  1/29/09. New York
Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/30/us/politics/30health.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=Congress%20Passes%20SCHIP%20Bill%20&st=cse

 > Child neglect cases multiply as economic woes spread
As the economic downturn takes its toll on
struggling families, child welfare workers across
the region are seeing a marked rise in child
abuse and neglect cases, with increases of more
than 20 percent in some suburban counties.
Neglect investigations appear to have increased
most, many resulting from families living without
heat or electricity or failing to get children
medical care. 1/29/08. The Washington Post.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/28/AR2008122801726.html

 > Middle School Disengagement
Not enough attention has been paid to
understanding the magnitude of student
disengagement in high-poverty middle-grades
schools, its impact on student achievement and
ultimately the role it plays in driving the
nation's graduation rate crisis. Utilize ECS'
Research Studies Database to read a summary of a
report from Johns Hopkins University Center for
Social Organization of Schools and the
Philadelphia Education Fund that employs
longitudinal analyses of 12,000 Philadelphia
6th-grade students to better understand this
issue. Http://www.ecs.org/00CN4205
 >Recognizing children's successes in all areas
may prevent teenage depression
Students' success in the first grade can affect
more than their future report cards.  Researchers
found links among students' weak academic
performance in the first grade, self-perceptions
in the sixth grade, and depression symptoms in
the seventh grade. Because differences in
children's learning will continue to exist even
if all students are given effective instruction
and support, parents and teachers should
acknowledge student's skills in other areas.
1/11/09.  Science Daily.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090108111425.htm
 > Duncan hearing spotlights school reform
At his Senate confirmation hearing, Arne Duncan
said kids with disabilities or kids learning
English might struggle while the rest of the
students make gains. But No Child Left Behind
requires progress across every group. "Let's not
take too blunt an instrument to an entire school.
Those teachers are doing an Herculean job, and we
need to recognize that." Duncan said. 1/13/09 USA
Today.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-01-13-education-secretary_n.htm
 > The parent-teacher talk gains a new participant
Student-led conferences are gaining ground at
elementary and middle schools nationwide.
Although researchers have long hailed the
benefits of such conferences, their popularity
appears to be increasing in part because of the
rapidly shifting demographics at public schools
nationwide. At some schools, not only are
students on hand for conferences, but their
siblings are also welcome, as are grandparents,
aunts and uncles, even family friends. 12/28/08
The New York Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/education/28conferences.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=The%20parent-teacher%20talk%20gains%20a%20new%20participant&st=cse

 > Schools tap 21st century skills
To prepare students for a fast-changing future,
teachers are reaching beyond the R's.  In a
knowledge economy, the reasoning goes, the
ability to articulate and solve problems, to
generate original ideas, and to work
collaboratively across cultural boundaries is
growing exponentially in importance. 1/8/09
Christian Science Monitor.  http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0108/p03s03-usgn.html

@#@#@##
"Often children with poor academic skills believe
they have less influence on important outcomes in
their life. ..Along with reading and math,
teachers and parents should honor skills in other
areas, such as interpersonal skills, non-core
academic areas, athletics and music."
                                                                                                 Keith
Herman
                                                                                                         @#@#@##

Note: Each week the Center highlights newsworthy
stories online at - http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/newsitems.htm

Also access other news stories relevant to
improving addressing barriers to learning through
links at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/linkstolatest.htm

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

**RECENT PUBLICATIONS (In Print and on the Web)

Child and Adolescent Mental and Physical Health

 >Ending the marginalization of mental health in
schools: A comprehensive approach (2009). H.
Adelman & L. Taylor. In School-Based Mental
Health: A Practitioner's Guide to Comparative
practices.  R. Christner & R. Minnuti (Eds).  Routledge.

 >School mental health services for the 21st
century: Lessons from the District of Columbia
School Mental Health Program. (2009) Center for
Health and Health Care in Schools.
Http://healthinschools.org/health-in-schools/health-services/school-based-mental-health.aspx

 >Stigmatization. Special issue of Focal Point:
Research, Policy, & Practice in Children's Mental
Health. (2009). Portland Research Center on
Family Support and Children's Mental Health. http://www.rtc.pdx.edu/

 >Low academic competence in first grade as a
risk factor for depressive cognitions and
symptoms in middle schools (2008) K. Herman, et
al., Journal of Counseling Psychology, 55(3)
400-410. http://www.apa.org/journals/releases/cou553400.pdf

 >Concepts of bullying: Developmental and
cultural aspects. (2008) P. Smith & C.
Monks.  International Journal of Adolescent
Medicine and Health. 20(2) 101-112. Http://www.freundpublishing.com/

 >Medicating children: ADHD and pediatric mental
health (2009) R. Mayes, et al., Harvard
University Press. Http://www.hup.harvard.edu/pdf/maymed_excerpt.pdf

 >Suicide prevention by online support groups: An
action theory-based model of emotional first aid.
(2009) I. Gilat & G. Shahar. Archives of Suicide
Research. 13(1) 52-63.  Http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/13811118.html

 >Unique associations between peer relations and
social anxiety in early adolescence (2008) S.
Kelly, et al., Journal of Clinical Child and
Adolescent Psychology 37(4) 759-769.

 >Mental Health Problems in Early Childhood Can
Impair Learning and Behavior for Life. (2009)
Working Paper #6. National Scientific Council on
the Developing Child. http://www.developingchild.net/pubs/wp-abstracts/wp6.html

Family, School, and Community

 >Rebuilding for learning: Addressing barriers to
learning and teaching and re-engaging students.
(2009).  H. Adelman & L. Taylor. New York: Scholastic.

 >Making the right turn: A guide about improving
transition outcomes for youth involved in the
juvenile corrections system. (2008) J. C. Gagnon
& C. Richards.  Institute for Educational
Leadership. Http://www.ncwd-youth.info

 >School contextual influences on the risk for
adolescent alcohol misuse. (2009) A.
Botticello.  American Journal of Community
Psychology ePub http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=104830

 >Well-being among same-sex- and
opposite-sex-attracted youth at school. (2008).
I. Rivers & N. Noret. School Psychology Review,
37, 174-187. (Entire issue of Volume 37 is devoted to Homophobia and Bullying.)

 >Developing a comprehensive approach to youth
violence prevention in a small city.  (2008) A.
Meyer, et al., American Journal of Preventive
Medicine 34(3) S13-20. Http://sciencedirect.com/science/journal/07493797

Pediatrics, 122(4) 895-901. Http://www.pediatrics.org/

 >Family advocacy, support and education in
children's mental health: Results of a national
survey. (2008) K. Hoagwood, et al.,
Administration and Policy in Mental Health, 35:
73-83. Summarized at http://datatrends.fmhi.usf.edu/summary_152.pdf

 >Longitudinal associations between community
violence exposure and suicidality. (2008) S.
Lambert, et al., Journal of Adolescent Health,
43(4) 380-6. Http://www.ashaweb.org

Policy, Systems, Law, Ethics, Finances & Statistics

 >Adolescent health services: Missing
opportunities (2009). RS Lawrence, J Appleton
Gootman, LJ Sim, editors. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
  Information on the report can be downloaded
from http://www.iom.edu/CMS/12552/35625/60680.aspx

Defense Fund. Http://www.childrensdefense.org

 >Are zero tolerance policies effective in the
schools? An evidentiary review and
recommendations. (2008) American Psychologist, 63(9) 852-862.

 >Suicide trends among youths aged 10 to 19 in
the United States, 1996-2005. (2008) J. Bridge,
et al., Journal of the American Medical
Association, 300(9) 1025-6.  Http://jama.ama-assn.org/

 >A national profile of the health care
experiences and family impact of autism spectrum
disorder among children in the United States,
2005-2006. (2008)Pediatrics 122(6) e1149-1158 -
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/122/6/e1149

 >A large scale study of the assessment of the
social environment of middle and secondary
schools: the validity and utility of teachers'
ratings of school climate, cultural pluralism,
and safety problems for understanding school
effects and school improvement. (2008) S. Brand,
et al., Journal of School Psychology 46(5)
507-35.  Http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00224405

 >No Child Left Behind: High School Graduation
Rate. Non-regulatory guidance (2008)
http://www.ed.gov/policy/elsec/guid/hsgrguidance.pdf

Note: The Quick Find online clearinghouse at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu is updated regularly
with new reports and publications such as those
listed above.  Currently there are over 130
alphabetized topic pages with direct links to
Center materials and to other online resources
and related centers.  Let us know about
publications and reports that should be included
in this dedicated online clearinghouse. Ltaylor at ucla.edu

@#@#@@#
         "Just think how far we've come in the 20th century.
           The person who used to be a cog in the
wheel is now a digit in the computer."
                                                                                Robert
Fuoss
                                                                                         @#@#@##

**THIS MONTH'S FOCUS FOR SCHOOLS TO ADDRESS BARRIERS TO LEARNING

         February – The mid-point of a school
year: Report cards and conferences –
                         Another barriers or a challenging opportunity?

Now is the time for school staff to prepare
themselves, their students, and families for the
upcoming concentrated dose of student
conferences. Here are some matters to consider
with respect to addressing barriers to learning and teaching.

Conferences can raise strong emotions and
defensive reactions on the part of any and all
participants. To minimize negatives and maximize positive results:
 >Schools need to prepare staff for handling
challenging questions about a student, a
classroom, or school-wide matters. Staff need to
be prepared with ways to convey "bad news" and
handle reactions in ways that don't jeopardize
the problem solving relationship with families.
Staff also may need help for themselves in coping
with their own feelings as they anticipate and
experience the stresses of conferences.

 >Schools need to prepare family members and
students for conferences. Preconference
communications need to help parents understand
that concerns may be raised but the intent is to
find ways to ensure student success. (Remember
how hard it is to receive negative feedback,
especially from someone you don't know well but
who has an important role in your family's
life.)  Where there are major concerns to be
explored, several special, personalized contacts
with families are wise before or in place of a standard regular conference.

 >The trend to include students in the conference
process is an important step to consider.
Including students and even having them take the
lead has been growing in popularity in middle
schools, and elementary schools are beginning to
move in this direction.  Students are the bridge
between school staff and family. They are the
ones who interact on a daily basis with everyone
participating in a conference. They can
demonstrate in the meetings what they have
accomplished and their competence. And, they can
participate in discussions of how to address
concerns. Of course, for student participation to
be successful, steps must be taken to prepare
students and their families for the process.
Ironically, many high schools don't have regular
contact with families unless there is a request
or a problem. As Patrick Welsh, a high school English teacher observed,
"Parent involvement with teachers tends to taper
off after kids get into high school and some high
schools have given up altogether on formal
meetings. ...This year I have 130 students in
classes.  Try as I might, there is no way I can
know what is going on in the lives of every one
of them. But after meeting their parents,
students are no longer just names in a grade
book.  They become real people from families that
are deeply concerned about them. After a parent
conference, I can't help but take special notice
of them.  That's not favoritism; it's just human
nature. Even if it is only for five or 10
minutes, the time parents take to spend with
teachers can have an enormous impact on their
children's attitude toward learning and success
in the classroom. I'm talking about face-to-face
meetings, not telephone conversations or using
guidance counselors are intermediaries.
...Despite my angst.  I usually come away from
the parent conferences just plain inspired..."
USA Today's Teachers: The anti-drug
And, as the Small Schools Project notes: "The
evidence is clear: when schools work together
with families and communities to support
learning, students are successful – not just in
school – but throughout life. Studies suggest
that meaningful family-school partnerships
increase student achievement, regardless of
socioeconomic status, race, and family education levels."

Rather than a "obligatory ritual" of mid-year
conferences, think about this as another
opportunity to enhance positive connections with
families and to re-engage those who have become
disengaged. And, more generally, think about what
needs to change in format, frequency, and content
with respect to school contacts with families.

There are important roles for student support
staff in working with and supporting teachers in
making family contacts positive and productive.
In the end, the concern always needs to be: Did
the contact make the family want to keep in
contact and engage in solving problems?

For more on involving families to support student learning, see
         >Parent/Home involvement in schools -
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/qf/homework.htm

For more on including students in school-family
conferences, see ideas for February in
         >Improving Teaching and Learning
Supports by Addressing the Rhythm of a Year -
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/rhythms.pdf

Note: As the above suggests, it is important to
anticipate major concerns that arise with
regularity over the course of the school
year.  These provide natural opportunities to
strengthen support for learning.  For a calendar
of monthly concerns and themes, see "Ideas for
Enhancing Support at Your School this Month" on
the Center's homepage at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

@#@#@@#
"The parent-teacher conference became a staple of
the school year about 50 years ago.  In most
schools, the basic arrangement probably hasn't
changed much since.  Parents sit down with their
child's teachers, go through a portfolio of the
kid's work (if they're lucky), force out a few
questions, and leave feeling somewhat enlightened
or somewhat downcast...we could consider another
way to shake up an old staid system that would
actually improve it for everyone."
                                                                 Emily Bazelon
                                                                                 @#@#@#@

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/health_and_academics/index.htm

 >Resources for Out-of-School Time – The Wallace
Knowledge Center
http://www.wallacefoundation.org/KNOWLEDGECENTER/Pages/default.aspx

 >A Guide to Resources for Creating, Locating,
and Using Child and Youth Indicator Data -
http://www.childtrends.org/files/child_trends-2009_01_05_FR_childindicatorguide.pdf

 >Attention Deficit Hyperacticity Disorder
brochure for families -
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/adhd/nimhadhdpub.pdf

and their Families - http://lookingglass.org/ncpd/index.php

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/evaluation/resources.htm

 >A meta-analysis of interventions to decrease
disruptive classroom behavior in public education
settings - http://www.nichcy.org/research/summaries/pages/abstract61.aspx

http://mchlibrary.info/knowledgepaths/kp_domviolence.html

 >Building capacity in evaluation outcomes: A
teaching and facilitating resource for community
based programs and organizations - http://www.uwex.edu/ces/pdande

facilitators - http://www.sedl.org/ws/

 >Enhancing school reform through expanded
learning -
http://www.learningpt.org/pdfs/EnhancingSchoolReformthroughExpandedLearning.pdf

Note: For a wide range of relevant websites, see
our Gateway to a World of Resources at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/gateway/gateway_sites.htm

@##@#@#@@#
Reporter interviewing a 104 year old woman:
         "What is the best thing about being 104?"
                 She replies "No peer pressure."
                                                 Sylvia Shiner
                                                         @#@#@@#

                 http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/upconf.htm

         >Calls for Grant Proposals, Presentations & Papers*
                 http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/upcall.htm

         *Special note new mental health in
school journal calls for papers:
 >>School Mental Health: A Multidisciplinary
Research and Practice Journal. Described as a
forum for the latest research related to
prevention, education, and treatment practices
that target the emotional and behavioral health
of children in our education system. The journal
publishes empirical studies, theoretical papers,
and review articles from authors representing the
many disciplines that are involved in school
mental health including: education, pediatrics,
psychiatry, psychology, counseling, social work and nursing.
                 http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/job.htm

         >Upcoming/Archived Webcasts
                 http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/webcast.htm

Note: Information on each of these is updated on
an ongoing bases on our website.  Just click on
the indicated URL or on What's New on our website
at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu.  If you would like
to add information on these, please send it to ltaylor at ucla.edu

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

**UCLA CENTER – BRIEF UPDATE

 >New Publications
 >Ending the marginalization of mental health in
schools: A comprehensive approach (2009). H.
Adelman & L. Taylor. In School-Based Mental
Health: A Practitioner's Guide to Comparative
practices.  R. Christner & R. Minnuti (Eds).  Routledge.

 >Rebuilding for learning: Addressing barriers to
learning and teaching and re-engaging students.
(2009).  H. Adelman & L. Taylor. New York: Scholastic.

Coming soon:
Corwin Press will be following up our books on
Student Learning Supports with an indepth book entitled:
Mental health in schools: Engaging learners,
preventing problems, improving schools
 >Supporting the President's call "to serve"

Over the past two weeks, we sent out some
thoughts and resources related to President
Obama's proclamation calling on all Americans "to
serve one another and the common purpose of
remaking this Nation for our new century." See
Schools and Their Communities: Common Purpose in Remaking the Nation
         online at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/announcement(1-22-09).pdf

The feedback we have received suggests that the
self-study surveys for mapping what a school has
and what it could have related to engagement with
the community are helpful. At the same time, for
those who have participated in school-community
collaboratives, there is a concern that too often
efforts to collaborate begin with great promise
but soon become "just another monthly meeting."
Our research finds that the problem stems from
failure to build an effective operational
infrastructure. We have explored this matter in
various reports and publications. As a resource
aid, we have now created a brief set of guidance notes entitled:
         Schools, Families, and Community Working
Together: Building an Effective Collaborative
                 Online at:
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/buildingeffectivecollab.pdf

 >What are Learning Supports?
This is a question that arises frequently. So we
have prepared a single page resource to help
clarify the matter. It provides a definition and
stresses that, just as efforts to enhance
instruction emphasize well delineated and
integrated curriculum content, so must efforts to
address external and internal factors that
interfere with students engaging effectively with that curriculum.
         Online at: http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/whatlearnsupports.pdf

 >Policy and Practice Analyses

We are currently doing two major reviews and
analyses and would appreciate any information you can provide.
(1) We are profiling (via their websites) how
state departments of education organize in terms
of focus and operational infrastructure with
respect to addressing barriers to learning and
teaching and whether they are thinking in terms of learning supports.

(2) We are gathering information from various
sources about how small schools (on single and
multisite campuses) address barriers to learning
and teaching and how they organize their learning supports.
Please send us any information you can about
either of these matters. We hope to have the two
reports prepared by the end of this school year.

 >Rebuilding for Learning Initiative, our collaboration with Scholastic, Inc.

See the recent announcement online at:
         http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/announcement(1-27-09).pdf

At this time of transition in school reform and
improvement, this initiative and the New
Directions for Student Support Initiative are
taking on even greater importance. Shortly, we
will be announcing involvement with several
national educational leadership associations who
will be advancing comprehensive learning supports
and with some state departments of education. Let
us know if the leadership in your state would
like to learn more about this work.

For more on the National Initiative: New Directions for Student Support, see
                 http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/summit2002/ndannouncement.htm

Note: We continually update the resources on our
website.  A convenient way to access information
is through the Quick Find online
clearinghouse.  Alphabetized by topics, you can
access information on 130 topics relevant to
addressing barriers to learning. Each includes
links to Center Resources, online reports, other
centers focusing on the topic, and relevant
publications.  Go to http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu
and click on Quick Find.  If you would like to
add a resource, let us know.  Ltaylor at ucla.edu

For more information on the UCLA Center for
Mental Health in Schools, go to the website at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu or contact Howard
Adelman and Linda Taylor, Co-directors at the
School Mental Health Project/Center for Mental
Health in Schools, UCLA, Department of
Psychology, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1563. Phone
(310) 825-3634. Toll Free (866) 846-4843; Fax
(310) 206-8716; Email: smhp at ucla.edu

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Check out our sister center, the Center for
School Mental Health at http://csmh.umaryland.edu
or contact Mark Weist, Director, CSMH, University
of Maryland at Baltimore, Department of
Psychiatry, 737 W. Lombard St. 4th Floor,
Baltimore, MD 21202. Toll Free (888) 706-0980. Email: csmh at psych.umaryland.edu

Proposals are now being accepted for their 14th
Annual Conference to be held November 2-4, 2009
at the Hilton Minneapolis, Minneapolis,
Minnesota. The theme of this year's conference is
School Mental Health: Promoting Success for All
Students.  The conference features twelve
specialty tracks and offers speakers and
participants numerous opportunities to network
and advance knowledge and skills related to
school mental health practice, research,
training, and policy. The deadline for
submissions is February 6, 2009.  For more
information on their conference and the call for
papers, see their website or our website section
on conferences and call for papers.

@##@
Overheard:
         "Yesterday I got my tie stuck in the fax machine.
            Next thing I knew, I was in Los Angeles."
                                                 Steve Haupt
                                                         @#@#@##

**COMMENTS, REQUESTS, INFO, QUESTIONS FROM THE FIELD
 >>"Would like to suggest a link....After my
stint as elementary vp of ASCA, and getting their
listservs going, I started my own for elementary
counselors in 2002. We are about 1500 strong now
and have an online resource of lesson plans, ppt
presentations, group agendas, etc which members
have submitted. I would love it if you would
consider adding the group as a link- many of the
SCA's have it listed as well.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

THIS IS THE END OF THIS ISSUE OF E-NEWS

See below for source identifying information
Who Are We? Under the auspices of the School
Mental Health Project in the Department of
Psychology at UCLA, the national Center for
Mental Health in Schools was established in 1995.
The Project and Center are co-directed by Howard
Adelman and Linda Taylor. The UCLA Center is one
of two national centers first funded in
October,1995, by the Office of Adolescent Health,
Maternal and Child Health Bureau(Title V, Social
Security Act), Health Resources and Services
Administration, U.S. Dept. of Health & Human
Services (Project #U45MC00175). In open
competition, both Centers were refunded in 2000
for a second 5 year cycle with the Substance
Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's
Center for Mental Health Services joining HRSA as
a co-funder. In 2005 after open competition, both
Centers were funded for a third five year cycle.
(In this cycle, SAMHSA joined HRSA as a co-funder
only for the first year.) As sister Centers, the
Center at UCLA and the one at the University of
Maryland focus on advancing efforts to enhance
how schools address mental health and
psychosocial concerns. A description and
evaluation of the Center's work and impact is
available at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

For more information about the Center or about
ENEWS, contact Center Coordinator Perry Nelson or
Center Co-Directors Howard Adelman and Linda Taylor at:
UCLA School Mental Health Project/Center for Mental Health in Schools
Box 951563, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1563
Phone (310) 825-3634; Toll Free (866) 846-4843;
Fax (310) 206-8716; email: smhp at ucla.edu