[mentalhealth-l] ENEWS: March, 2009 (Vol. 13 #6)

SMHP smhp at ucla.edu
Fri Feb 27 14:56:57 PST 2009

[]

March, 2009 (Vol. 13 #6)

ENEWS is one of the many resources provided by the School Mental
Health Project/ Center for Mental Health in Schools at UCLA.  This
electronic newsletter is sent to those concerned with enhancing
policies, programs, and practices related to addressing barriers to
student learning and to promoting mental health in schools.  For more
on what our federally supported national Center offers, see
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

<><><><<><><><>
We encourage you to forward this to others.
If you have been forwarded this ENEWS
and want to sign up to receive it directly,
please let us know.  Contact smhp at ucla.edu
<><><><><><><>

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

WHAT'S HERE THIS MONTH

**Emerging Issue
 >Is it possible to make budget cuts and still provide a safety net
for students?
    Will the stimulus offset the damage?
**News from around the country

**Recent publications relevant to
 >Child and adolescent mental and physical health
 >School, family, & community
 >Policy, systems, law, ethics, finances & statistics
**This month's focus for schools to address barriers to learning
 >March - Reducing Stress: Preventing Burnout
**Other helpful Internet resources

**Links to
 >Upcoming initiatives, conferences & workshops
 >Upcoming and archived webcasts and online professional development
 >Calls for grant proposals, presentations & papers
 >Training and job opportunities
**UCLA Center update

**Comments, requests, information, questions from the field

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Emerging Issue
 >Is it possible to make budget cuts and still provide a safety net
for students?
    Will the stimulus offset the damage?
We have received a range of responses to the policy notes we sent out
last week about:
Balancing Cut-backs at Schools is Essential to Ensuring Equity of Opportunity
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/cut-backs.pdf
Some indicated it was timely and useful to share with those making
decisions about reductions in programs and personnel (e.g., Planning
to share it at a forum for dropout  prevention).  For others, the
current situation is just so dire that they think there is no
possibility for developing equity of opportunity in many schools.
(e.g., There was not enough money before the economic downturn, and
now resources are reduced while problems for families escalate. Time
for mutiny!! The fiscal crisis schools are facing is well beyond a
balancing act. All things are going to have to be cut and students
are going to suffer. There is no alternative to that conclusion.)

Still others think this is a matter that needs to be reflected in the
multiple documents, coalitions, and conferences focusing on
innovation in education that intend to provide guidance for setting
priorities (i.e. the Broader, Bolder Approach to Education; 21st
century skills). And, still others see the concern for balance as a
matter of great relevance with respect to the eventual
reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act.

What strategies are being used in your locale to at least maintain
enough student and learning supports to continue to reduce truancy
and dropouts, close the achievement gap, reduce inappropriate
referrals for special assistance and special education, and counter
the school to prison pipeline? How will the stimulus package help in
this respect?  Let us know so we can share the information with
others. Ltaylor at ucla.edu
<><><><><><><><><><><><>

**NEWS FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY

ECONOMIC DOWNTURN, NATURE OF BUDGET CUTS, AND USE OF STIMULUS FUNDS
HAVE MAJOR IMPLICATIONS FOR ADDRESSING STUDENT PROBLEMS

 >BIG CUTS LOOM FOR EDUCATION: 574,000 JOBS AT RISK
States probably will cut an estimated 18.5% of spending over the next
three years, an $80 billion drop that could eliminate 574,000
publically funded jobs.  The projection could actually be worse than
predicted, because it doesnt include dropping local funding, which
was too difficult to track. 2/11/09.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2009-02-10-school-stimulus_N.htm

 >STIMULUS INCLUDES $5 BILLION FLEXIBLE FUND FOR EDUCATION INNOVATION
Education Secretary Arne Duncan would have $5 billion under the
stimulus bill to back new approaches to improve schools. The Race to
the Top Fund, as Duncan calls it, is part of about $100 billion the
bill would channel to public schools, universities and early
childhood education programs nationwide, helping stave off teacher
layoffs, keep class sizes in check and jump-start efforts to revamp
aging schools. 2/14/09
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/13/AR2009021303346.html

 >SCHOOLS TRY TO HELP PARENTS, STUDENTS COPE WITH RECESSION
To support parents trying to help their kids cope, school districts
are stepping in. One sponsored a parent seminar that featured an
expert in student stress. Another hosted an open house for parents to
meet with financial advisers and mental health experts. The idea was
sparked by social workers and counselors who noticed that many
students were grappling with a laid-off parent and having to cut back
on expensive extracurricular activities. 2/11/09
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-school-stress_sw_zone_11_feb11,0,5966447.story

 >SCHOOLS FACE SHARP RISE IN HOMELESS STUDENTS
The economic plunge has generated a growing wave of children
nationwide who are sleeping in shelters, motels, spare bedrooms or
even the family van as their parents seek to keep them in school.
Educators are scrambling to help, with extra tutoring, clothes, food
and cab fare. The children are often scared, stressed or embarrassed.
School, often the first safety net for struggling families, are
emerging as a key anchor for homeless youth. 2/8/09
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/07/AR2009020702015.html

OTHER NEWS

 >DISCIPLINE CODE UNDER REVIEW AS SUSPENSIONS LOSE IMPACT
Washington DC Schools Chancellor proposed to revise the Districts
student behavior code. The changes would move away from out-of-school
suspensions as the disciplinary method of choice and toward
counseling, peer influence and more options for keeping suspended
students in school. Out of school suspensions put students behind in
their work and increase the likelihood that they will become truant
or drop out. This revision comes against a backdrop of increased
concern about violence and mayhem in schools.  1/25/09.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/24/AR2009012401601.html

 >MAYORAL CONTROL OF SCHOOLS NOT A CURE-ALL, REPORT SAYS
Mayors have taken control of school systems in recent years in some
of the nations largest cities  New York, Chicago, Boston and
Washington among them  and in some cases, the results have been
heralded as a shot in the arm, in terms of both finances and
education.  But the track record on mayoral takeovers  or any form of
running schools other than an elected School Board  remains
complicated and mixed according to several research efforts,
including the new one by the Public Policy Forum, a Milwaukee policy
research organization. 2/15/09 Journal Sentinel
http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/39624342.html

 >JUDGES PLEAD GUILTY IN SCHEME TO JAIL YOUTHS FOR PROFIT
Two judges appeared in federal court in Scranton, PA, to plead guilty
to wire fraud and income tax fraud for taking more than $2.6 million
in kickbacks to send teenagers to two privately run youth detention
centers. A senior judge appointed by the State Supreme Court will
determine what should be done with the estimated 5,000 juveniles who
have been sentenced by these judges since the scheme started in
2003.  Many of them were first-time offenders and some remain in
detention. It raised concerns about whether juveniles should be
required to have counsel either before or during their appearances in
court and whether juvenile courts should be open to the public or
child advocates. 2/13/09.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/13/us/13judge.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=JUDGES%20PLEAD%20GUILTY%20IN%20SCHEME%20TO%20JAIL%20YOUTHS%20FOR%20PROFIT&st=cse

 >IS TECHNOLOGY PRODUCING A DECLINE IN CRITICAL THINKING AND ANALYSIS?
As technology has played a bigger role in our lives, our skills in
critical thinking and analysis have declined, while our visual skills
have improved, according to a UCLA researcher. Reading for pleasure,
which has declined among young people in recent decades, enhances
thinking and engages the imagination in a way that visual media such
as video games and television do not.
1/30/09
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090128092341.htm

@##@#
The fact is that we are not just in an economic crisis; we are in an
educational crisis.  We have to educate ourselves to a better economy.
                                                                         Arne
Duncan
@#@#@#

Note: Each week the Center highlights newsworthy stories online at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/newsitems.htm

Also access other news stories relevant to improving addressing
barriers to learning through links at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/linkstolatest.htm

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

**RECENT PUBLICATIONS ( In Print and on the Web)

Child, adolescent, young adult mental and physical health

 >Preventing mental, emotional, and behavioral disorders among young
people: Progress and possibilities (2009) M. OConnell, T. Boat, K.
Warner (Eds).  The National Academies Press
http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12480

 >Childhood mistreatment and adolescent and young adult depression
(2009) J. Fletcher. Social Science & Medicine.
(ePub).
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=MImg&_imagekey=B6VBF-4VDFR1J-1-1&_cdi=5925&_user=4423&_orig=search&_coverDate=03%2F31%2F2009&_sk=999319994&view=c&wchp=dGLzVzz-zSkzk&md5=eafb7c58c358955168d64483d905ff20&ie=/sdarticle.pdf

 >Joint development of bullying and victimization in adolescence:
Relations to delinquency and self-harm (2008) E. Barker, et al.,
Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 47(9) 1030-1028. Http://www.jaacap.com

 >Continuing of aggression from childhood to early adulthood as a
predictor of life outcomes: Implications for the adolescent-limited
and life-course-persistent models. (2009). L. Huesmann, et al.,
Aggressive Behavior, (ePub) http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0096-140x

 >Psychological impact of disasters on children: Review of assessment
and interventions. (2009) N. Kar.  World Journal of Pediatrics, 5(1)
5-11. Http://www.wjpch.com/

 >A cluster randomized controlled trial of child-focused psychiatric
consultation and a school-systems-focused intervention to reduce
aggression. (2009) P. Fonagy, et al., Journal of Child Psychology and
Psychiatry.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/121661170/PDFSTART

School, Family, & Community

 >Community violence: A meta-analysis on the effect of exposure and
mental health outcomes of children and adolescents (2009) P. Fowler,
et al., Developmental Psychopathology, 21(1) 227-59.
http://journals.cambridge.org/

 >Does parenting mediate the effects of exposure to violence on
violent behavior? An ecological-transactional model of community
violence.  (2009) R. Spano, et al., Journal of Adolescence
(ePub).
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WH0-4VF0XX2-1&_user=4423&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000059605&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=4423&md5=cbebd7b83264920c550db9768c9da654

 >Hostile school climates: Explaining differential risk of student
exposure to disruptive learning environments in high school (2008) C.
Lleras.  Journal of School Violence, 7(3) 105-135.
http://www.hcd.uiuc.edu/facultylabs/lleras/publications/Hostile%20School%20Climates%202008.pdf

 >Creating schools of peace and nonviolence in a time of war and
violence (2009) T. Cavanagh.  Journal of School Violence, 8(1) 64-80.
http://www.restorativejustice.com/Recent%20Publications_files/Creating%20Schools%20of%20Peace.pdf

 >Teacher preference, peer rejection, and student aggression: A
prospective study of transactional influence and independent
contributions to emotional adjustment and grades (2008) S. Mercer &
M. Derosier.  Journal of School Psychology, 46(6) 661-85.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=MImg&_imagekey=B6V6G-4T4J1GT-1-3&_cdi=5814&_user=4423&_orig=search&_coverDate=12%2F31%2F2008&_sk=999539993&view=c&wchp=dGLbVzz-zSkzk&md5=d8435cfad8f9e64c8d78d446a391f494&ie=/sdarticle.pdf

 >Bullying and aggression on the school bus: School bus drivers
observations and suggestions (2008) E. deLara.  Journal of School
Violence, 7(3) 48-70.
http://pdfserve.informaworld.com/845411_770849120_903693558.pdf

 >How well-prepared are schools to meet disasters?: School shootings
require response of nontraditional resources (2008) K. Henning & M.
Smithey, NASA School Nurse, 23(1) 13-14.
http://nas.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/23/1/13

Policy, systems, law, ethics, finances & statistics

 >Projections of state budget shortfalls on K-12 public education
spending and job loss (2009) M. Roza.  Center on Reinventing Public
Education. Http://www.crpe.org/cs/crpe/view/csr_pubs/266

 >Developing a citywide youth violence prevention plan: Perceptions
of various stakeholders (2008) B. Payne & D. Button.  International
Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, (ePub)
http://ijo.sagepub.com/cgi/rapidpdf/0306624X08321868v1

 >After-school programs in public elementary schools (2009) National
Center for Education Statistics.
Http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=2009043

 >Do theories of crime or violence explain race differences in
delinquency? (2008) R. Felson, et al., Social Science Research, 37(2) 624-41.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WX8-4PP7R3Y-2&_user=4423&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000059605&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=4423&md5=2b8981af940bed6385bf83dca4df0cd0

 >Course credit accrual and dropping out of high school, by student
characteristics.  (2009) National Center for Education Statistics.
Http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=2009035

Note: The Quick Find online clearinghouse at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu is updated regularly with new reports and
publications such as those listed above.  Currently there are over
130 alphabetized topic pages with direct links to Center materials
and to other online resources and related centers.  Let us know about
publications and reports that should be included in this dedicated
online clearinghouse.  Ltaylor at ucla.edu

@##@##@
Some kids are living in communities that have such a pre-determinant
affect on their health and well-being that it sets them on a negative
trajectory for the rest of their lives.  It cant be stressed enough
that the current economic downturn is only going to widen the gaps in
health disparities.  Things are going to get much worse.

Brian Smedley
@##@##@

**THIS MONTHS FOCUS FOR SCHOOLS TO ADDRESS BARRIERS TO LEARNING

 > March - Reducing Stress: Preventing Burnout

In the course of a regular school year, this is a time of mounting
stress. With the economic downturn stress is exacerbated.

Draconian school budget cuts, real and rumored, effect everyone. Some
districts are initiating mid-year reductions in force; many are
sending warning notes (pink slips) to a wide range of staff to let
them know that their employment for the next year is uncertain. Add
to that annual accountability achievement testing. (One district
website homepage features a countdown of days until the annual
achievement tests and provides strategies on how students can
prepare.) Moreover, for some students, lack of success in the first
semester has discouraged them from starting the new semester with the
motivation to succeed. So, along with all the other stressors, staff
must worry about what can be done for students who arent ready to
move on, but who shouldnt be held back. And there is so much more
with which to cope.

The following resources are meant as aids as school leaders address
stress of staff, students, and familes.
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/qf/burnout.htm

 >Visit the American Psychological Associations The Road to
Resilience - http://www.apahelpcenter.org/

Included in their 10 ways to build resilience are:
 >>Avoid seeing crises as insurmountable problems...you can change
how you interpret and respond to these events
 >>Accept that change is a part of living...accepting circumstances
that cannot be changed can help you focus on circumstances that you can alter
 >>Take decisive actions. Act on adverse situations as much as you can.
 >>Look for opportunities for self-discovery...Many people who have
experienced tragedies and hardship have reported better
relationships, greater sense of strength even while feeling
vulnerable, greater sense of self worth...
 >>Nurture a positive view of yourself. Developing confidence in your
ability to solve problems and trusting your instincts helps build resilience.
 >>Keep things in perspective.  Even when facing very painful events,
try to consider the stressful situation in a broader context and keep
a long-term perspective.
 >>Make connections. ... Accepting help and support from those who
care about you and will listen to you strengthens
resilience...Assisting others in their time of need also can benefit the helper

 >Also, see our online clearinghouse Quick Find topic: Resilience
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/qf/resilience.html
Clearly, it is essential to do as much as possible to minimize the
impact of stress on students, staff, and families. If you have ideas
about what to do, let us know so we can share them widely. Ltaylor at ucla.edu

Note: It is important to anticipate major concerns that arise with
regularity over the course of the school year.  These provide natural
opportunities to strengthen support for learning.  For a calendar of
monthly concerns and themes, see Ideas for Enhancing Support at Your
School this Month on the Centers homepage at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

@#@#@#
I am a product of your work.  I wouldnt be here if it werent for the
public schools that nurtured me and helped me along.  And I am
committed, as well as my husband, to ensuring that more kids like us
and kinds around this country, regardless of their race, their
income, their status, the property values in their neighborhoods, get
access to an outstanding education.
                                                         Michelle Obama
                                                                         @#@#@#

**OTHER HELPFUL INTERNET RESOURCES

 >Evidence-based strategies for reducing the impact of childrens
exposure to violence. Safe Start Center.
35-39  http://www.safestartcenter.org/pdf/safestartbooklet.pdf

Investment  http://www.forumforyouthinvestment.org/readyby21

 >Mental health problems in early childhood can impair learning and
behavior for life National Scientific Council on the Developing Child
at Harvard University
http://www.developingchild.net/pubs/wp-abstracts/wp6.html

 >A place to grown and learn: A citywide approach to building and
sustaining out-of-school time learning opportunities. National League of Cities
http://www.nlc.org/ASSETS/2C7BF02A330140D5AA5E9CD3630DB2AD/Wallacereportpdf.pdf

 >Children and Trauma Update for Mental Health Professionals.
American Psychological Association Task Force on Post Traumatic
Stress Disorder in Children and
Adolescents.  http://www.apa.org/pi/cyf/child-trauma/update.html

Knowledge Path  http://www.mchlibrary.info/knowledgepaths/kp_insurance.html

 >Developing family, friend, and neighbor care initiatives and
policies: Tips from experts.  National Womens Law Center
http://www.nwlc.org/pdf/FFN-TipsFromExperts.pdf

 >Association for the Study and Development of
Community  http://www.communityscience.com/

Note: For a wide range of relevant websites, see our Gateway to a
World of Resources at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/gateway/gateway_sites.htm

@#@#@#@#
I dont know anything about computers.  I dont even know how often to
change the oil.
                                                                 Buzz Nutley
                                                                         @#@#@#
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/upconf.htm

http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/upcall.htm

http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/job.htm

 >Upcoming/Archived Webcasts
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/webcast.htm

Note: Information on each of these is updated on an ongoing basis on
our website.  Just click on the indicated URL or on Whats New on our
website at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu.  If you would like to add
information on these, please send it to ltaylor at ucla.edu

<><><><><>

**UCLA CENTER  BRIEF UPDATE

 >Whats New -- Go to the Centers homepage and click on the Whats New icon.

There you will be able to access the latest Center:
 >Reports, Resources, Updates, & Announcements
 >Quarterly Newsletter
 >Relevant News Items from Around the Country
 >Weekly Practitioner Exchange
 >Monthly electronic newsletter (ENEWS)
 >Hot Topics & Issues
 >Information about conferences, webcasts, grants, job announcements

 >Overview of the Centers Work and Impact for the Year 2008
We are preparing a yearly update of our Evaluation Impact Report (see
the data accrued tthrough 2007 at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/evaluation/impactevalrept.pdf )

We would appreciate any information you can provide related to the
Centers impact that should be integrated into this years report.
(Thanks to all who already have provided feedback.).  Email comments
to ltaylor at ucla.edu
 >Making the Case for Student and Learning Supports in a Time of
Budget Cutting
See the new Policy Notes: Balancing Cut-backs at Schools is Essential
to Ensuring Equity of
Opportunity  http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/cut-backs.pdf
And, let us know if you need any resources for making the case.  If
we dont having something developed, we will see what we can do to
meet your particular situation. Send your request to ltaylor at ucla.edu
 >Rebuilding for Learning Initiative (our collaboration with
Scholastic, Inc.)
For more information on this, see
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/rebuild/rebuilding.htm

This month, we had an introductory meeting with the Chief State
School Officers and the American Association for Schools
Administrators and have begun exploring ways to work with them to
strengthen the focus on learning supports of education
leaders.  Follow up activities with work groups of state teams are in
the planning stages. Let us know if you are interested in this
initiative. Contact:  ltaylor at ucla.edu
Note: We continually update the resources on our website. A
convenient way to access information is through the Quick Find online
clearinghouse. Alphabetized by topics, you can access information on
over 130 topics relevant to addressing barriers to learning. Each
includes links to Center Resources, online reports, other centers
focusing on the topic, and relevant publications. Go to
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu and click on Quick Find. If you would like
to add a resource, let us know. Ltaylor at ucla.eduFor more information
on the UCLA Center for Mental Health in Schools, go to the website at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu or contact Howard Adelman and Linda
Taylor, Co-directors at the School Mental Health Project/Center for
Mental Health in Schools, UCLA, Department of Psychology, Los
Angeles, CA 90095-1563. Phone (310) 825-3634. Toll Free (866)
846-4843; Fax (310) 206-8716; Email: smhp at ucla.edu

Check out our sister center, the Center for School Mental Health at
http://csmh.umaryland.edu or contact Mark Weist, Director, CSMH,
University of Maryland at Baltimore, Department of Psychiatry, 737 W.
Lombard St. 4th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202. Toll Free (888) 706-0980.
Email: csmh at psych.umaryland.edu
@#@#@
On his turn in the spotlight, Pat Quinn, the new Governor of Illinois
quipped:
                 You want to know my philosophy? One day a peacock.
                         The next day a feather
duster.
                                                 @#@#@#@#

**COMMENTS, REQUESTS, INFO, QUESTIONS FROM THE FIELD
 >I wanted to let you know of a project that I am currently involved
with that I think can be of great help to school aged children in
helping them to understand and express emotional. Emotes are a series
of characters designed to help kids increase their emotional
vocabulary through interactive play. The colorful characters, from
Abash (the embarrassed) to Boom (the angry), each represent a
different emotion. Written by a licensed psychotherapist, the Emotes
picture books explore a range of emotional and developmental
challenges including temper tantrums, bullying, fears, and healthy
habits. Vinyl figurines and plush play therapy toys also allow
children to externalize and interact with their feelings. In
addition, an Emotions Display Case allows children to select and
highlight the emotion with which they currently identify--fostering
emotional expression and dialogue. Interactive games, short videos
and lesson plans for educators can also be found online at
http://www.emotes.com
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

THIS IS THE END OF THIS ISSUE OF E-NEWS

See below for source identifying information
Who Are We? Under the auspices of the School Mental Health Project in
the Department of Psychology at UCLA, the national Center for Mental
Health in Schools was established in 1995. The Project and Center are
co-directed by Howard Adelman and Linda Taylor. The UCLA Center is
one of two national centers first funded in October,1995, by the
Office of Adolescent Health, Maternal and Child Health Bureau(Title
V, Social Security Act), Health Resources and Services
Administration, U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services (Project
#U45MC00175). In open competition, both Centers were refunded in 2000
for a second 5 year cycle with the Substance Abuse and Mental Health
Services Administration's Center for Mental Health Services joining
HRSA as a co-funder. In 2005 after open competition, both Centers
were funded for a third five year cycle. (In this cycle, SAMHSA
joined HRSA as a co-funder only for the first year.) As sister
Centers, the Center at UCLA and the one at the University of Maryland
focus on advancing efforts to enhance how schools address mental
health and psychosocial concerns. A description and evaluation of the
Center's work and impact is available at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

For more information about the Center or about ENEWS, contact Center
Coordinator Perry Nelson or Center Co-Directors Howard Adelman and
Linda Taylor at:
UCLA School Mental Health Project/Center for Mental Health in Schools
Box 951563, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1563
Phone (310) 825-3634; Toll Free (866) 846-4843; Fax (310) 206-8716;
email: smhp at ucla.edu