[mentalhealth-l] ENEWS: November, 2008 (Vol. 13 #2)

SMHP smhp at ucla.edu
Fri Oct 31 13:50:28 PDT 2008

[]

November, 2008 (Vol. 13 #2)

ENEWS is one of the many resources provided by
the School Mental Health Project/ Center for
Mental Health in Schools at UCLA.  This
electronic newsletter is sent to those concerned
with enhancing policies, programs, and practices
related to addressing barriers to student
learning and to promoting mental health in
schools.  For more on what our federally
supported national Center offers, see http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

<><><><<><><><>
We encourage you to forward this to others.
If you have been forwarded this ENEWS
and want to sign up to receive it directly,
please let us know.  Contact smhp at ucla.edu
<><><><><><><>

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

WHAT'S HERE THIS MONTH

**Emerging Issue
 >Unique Treatments or Common Intervention Principles?
**News from around the country

**Recent publications relevant to
 >Children's mental and physical health

 >Family, school & community

 >Policy, systems, law, ethics, finances & statistics
**This month's focus for school to address barriers to learning
 >Responding to referrals in ways that can "stem the tide"
**Other helpful Internet resources

**Links to
 >Upcoming initiatives, conferences & workshops

 >Calls for grant proposals, presentations & papers

 >Training and job opportunities
**UCLA Center update

**Comments, requests, information, questions from the field

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

EMERGING ISSUE

         >Unique Treatments or Common Intervention Principles?

According to David Barlow: "Instead of studying
treatments as some sort of fixed pattern,
practitioners will have principles they can
flexibly apply to a variety of different emotional disorders."

As reported in the 10/08 Monitor on Psychology,
Barlow, director emeritus at the Center for
Anxiety and Related Disorders at Boston
University, reported on a four year study of a
new treatment protocol for depression, anxiety,
and phobias. He explained: "The protocol takes
three or four basic concepts that seem to be
present in all of our successful treatments for
these emotional disorders and puts them together
as a single, unified, transdiagnostic set of
principles that clinicians could adapt to anyone sitting in from of them."

The new protocol includes 7 modules:
psychoeducation; motivational enhancement to aid
treatment engagement; emotional awareness
training, cognitive appraisal and reappraisal,
modifying emotion-driven behavior and emotional
avoidance; internal somatic and situational
exposure; relapse prevention; and present-focused emotional awareness training.

Is the field moving away from "fixed" empirically
supported treatments? As you have worked with
science based interventions related to learning,
behavior, and emotional problems, are you
sticking to the manual or are you gravitating
toward common principles and elements? Send your comments to ltaylor at ucla.edu

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

**NEWS FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY

 >Report cites chronic absenteeism in city schools
More than 90,000 of New York City's elementary
school students – roughly 20 percent – missed at
least a month of classes during the last school
year...The situation was worse in higher grades –
40 percent of high school students and 24 percent
of middle school students were absent for at
least a month. 10/21/08 http://www.nytimes.com
 >The high school dropout's economic ripple effect
As the financial meltdown and economic slump hold
the national spotlight, another potential crisis
is on the horizon: a persistently high dropout
rate that educators and mayors across the country
say increases the threat to the country's
strength and prosperity. According to one study,
only half of the high school students in the
nation's 50 largest cities are graduating in four
years...10/21/08  http://online.wsj.com
 >Nine NY state agencies jointly develop plan for
broad reform of public services for children
Heads of nine child-serving agencies have jointly
submitted to the governor and legislature New
York's first Children's Plan to improve the
social and emotional well being of New York's
children and their families. Key recommendations
of the collaborative plan include:
 >A focused attention to behavioral issues and
emotional disturbance in settings such as
pediatric offices, child care and schools, with
mental health treatment in a back-up and support role;
 >A shift toward more effective and less
expensive early intervention and evidence-based
preventive approaches, leading to a reduction in institutional costs; and
10/2/08 - http://www.omh.state.ny.us/omhweb/News/pr_childrens_plan.html
 >Schools scramble to help students with no place to live
With the numbers of homeless across the state on
the rise, local school officials are scrambling
to provide services and absorb costs for an
expected surge in homeless students. .. ..The
high populations reflect not just students living
in shelters or on the streets, but also those
doubled up with relatives or friends, in foster
care, or thrown out of their homes or runaways. 10/6/08. http://www.boston.com
 >Schools fail to meet "No Child" accountability
Across the nation, far more schools failed to
meet the federal law's testing targets than in
any previous year...Part of the reason for the
troubles was that the states gambled the law
would have been softened when it came up for
reauthorization in 2007, but efforts to change it
stalled. ...Students scoring at or above
proficiency increased, on average, less than four
percentage points annually for 2003 to 2007, far
short of the 11 percentage points of annual
growth required this year. 10/13/08   http://www.nytimes.com
 >Hundreds of teachers laid off in Dallas
The Dallas, TX, school district laid off hundreds
of teacher to avoid a projected $84 million
deficit. ...The district laid off 375 teachers
and 40 counselors and assistant principals and
transferred 460 teachers to other schools within
the district. ...The 375 teachers represent about
3 percent of the district's teachers.  Last week
152 employees – including clerks, office managers
and teacher assistants – voluntarily left their
jobs. 62 central staff members lost their jobs.
...An additional $30 million will be saved by
cutting various programs throughout the district.
10/17/08.  http://www.cnn.com
Note: Each week the Center highlights newsworthy
stories online at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/newsitems.htm

Also access other news stories relevant to
improving addressing barriers to learning through
links at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/linkstolatest.htm

@#@#@#@#
                         "Schools are never
neutral. Schools either help kids thrive or
                           contribute to mediocre or rotten outcomes."
                                                                         David
Osher
                                                                                         @#@#@#

**RECENT PUBLICATIONS (IN PRINT AND ON THE WEB)

Children's Mental and Physical Health
 >The effectiveness of interventions to reduce
psychological harm from traumatic events among
children and adolescents: A systematic review.
(2008) H. Wethington, et al., American Journal of
Preventive Medicine, 35(3) 287-313.
Http://sciencedirect.com/science/journal/07493797

 >The development of bullying. (2008) D. Pepler,
et al., International Journal of Adolescent
Medicine and Health, 20(2) 113-119. http://www.freundpublishing.com/

ADHD (#160) http://www.rtc.pdx.edu/pgDataTrends.shtml

 >Child abuse recognition and reporting: Supports
and resources for changing the paradigm. (2008)
C. Berkowtiz.  Pediatrics, ePub. http://www.pediatrics.org/

 >A framework for assessing violent behaviors in
elementary school-age children (2008) A. Bardick
& K. Bernes, Children & Schools, 30(2) 83-91.

 >High school youth and suicide risk: Exploring
protection afforded through physical activity and
sport participation (2008) L. Tallaferro, et al.,
Journal of School Health, 78(10) 545-553. http://www.ashaweb.org

 >Activity spaces and urban adolescent substance
use and emotional health (2008) M. Mason & K.
Korpela, Journal of Adolescence. http://www.elsevier.com/
Family, School and Community
 >Geography of opportunity: Poverty, place, and
educational outcomes (2008) W. Tate. Educational
Researcher, 37(7) 397-411. http://er.aera.net

 >The evaluation of school-based violence
prevention programs: A meta-analysis. (2008) H.
Park-Higgerson, , et al., Journal of School
Health, 78(9) 465-479. http://www.ashaweb.org

 >Reducing behavior problems in the elementary
school classroom (2008). Practice Guides: What
Works Clearinghouse. http://ies.ed.gov/ncee/wwc/publications/practiceguides/

 >Solving behavior problems together (2008).C.
Crowe. Educational Leadership. 66, 44-47.

 >Adolescent risk taking, neighborhood social
capital, and health (2008) W. Boyce, et al.,
Journal of Adolescent Health, 43(3) 246-252.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/1054139X

 >Media use and children's perceptions of
societal threat and personal vulnerability.
(2008) J. Comer, et al., Journal of Clinical
Child and Adolescent Psychology, 37(3) 622-630.
http://www.leaonline.com/loi/jccp
http://www.ask.hrsa.gov/electronicpublications.cfm

 >Toward a brighter future: An essential agenda
for America's young people. (2008) National
Collaboration for Youth, http://www.collab4youth.org

 >Framing public policy and prevention of chronic
violence in American youths (2008) K. Dodge.
American Psychologist, 63(7) 573-590. http://www.apa.org/journals/amp

 >Will it work here? A decision maker's guide to
adopting innovations -
http://innovations.ahrq.gov/resources/innovationadoptionguide.pdf

 >Student victimization in U.S. Schools: Results
from the 2005 School Crime Supplement to the
National Crime Victimization Survey (2008).  The
National Center for Education Statistics.
http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=2009306

 >Mental disorders among adolescents in juvenile
detention and correctional facilities: a
systematic review and metaregression analysis of
25 surveys (2008) S. Fazel, et al., Child &
Adolescent Psychiatry, 47(9) 1010-1019 http://www.jaacap.com

 >Violence and drug use in rural teens: National
prevalence estimates from the 2003 Youth Risk
Behavior Survey (2008) A. Johnson, et al.,
Journal of School Health, 78(10) 554-561. http://www.ashaweb.org

 >A three-country comparison of psychotropic
medication prevalence in youth. (2008) J. Zito,
et al., Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and
Mental Health, 2(26). http://www.capmh.com/content/2/1/26

 >Mental health service use among youths aged 12
to 17: 2005 and 2006 (2008) National Survey on
Drug Use and Health Report, Office of Applied
Studies, Substance Abuse and Mental Health
Services Administration. http://oas.samhsa.gov
Note: The Quick Find online clearinghouse at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu is updated regularly
with new reports and publications such as those
listed above.  Currently there are over 130
alphabetized topic pages with direct links to
Center materials and to other online resources
and related centers.  Let us know about
publications and reports that should be included
in this dedicated online clearinghouse.  Ltaylor at ucla.edu

@#@#@@#
"When ... psychologists forgo scientific rigor in
favor of advocating unsupported private values in
public policy, they become nothing more than politicians."
                                                                         Kenneth
Dodge
                                                                                 @#@#@#@#

**THIS MONTH'S FOCUS FOR SCHOOLS TO ADDRESS BARRIERS TO LEARNING

November – Responding to referrals in ways that can "stem the tide"

In the first months of a new school year,
supportive schools have provided programs to
welcome and provide support to ensure that all
students have made a good adjustment to school
and to address initial adjustment problems as
they arise. As teachers become concerned about
students who are not making progress in academics
and display problems in social competence, they
are looking for colleagues to help them succeed
with these students.  While team teaching and
grade level teacher planning groups are a first
resource, student support staff can now enter the
planning process to enhance capacity related to Response to Intervention.

Many "individual" problems are, in fact, a type
of problem that is frequently seen in schools.
Student support staff can join the class to
enhance the capacity of regular classroom
teachers to address a broad range of common
learning, behavior, and emotional problems. As
students experience "enhanced" regular classroom
approaches, many who were struggling (students
and teachers) will find more success. And,
sharing strategies across classrooms strengthens
the shared responsibility for all students. For a
broad range of ideas on enhancing classrooms to
accommodate a broader range of student motivation and ability, see
 >Enhancing Classroom Approaches for Addressing
Barriers to Learning: Classroom-Focused Enabling
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/contedu/cfe.pdf

http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/qf/responsetointervention.htm

http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/practicenotes/responsetointervention.pdf

 >Common Behavior Problems at School: A Natural
Opportunity for Social and Emotional Learning
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/practicenotes/behaviorsocialemot.pdf

 >Prereferral Interventions
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/practicenotes/prereferral.pdf
Classroom-focused learning supports reduce the
flow of referrals to case-oriented student
support teams. This allows such teams not only to
do a better job of triage, referral, and
monitoring of progress, but to become more
proactive in developing interventions to promote
social and emotional development, prevent
problems, and respond early after problem onset..
For relevant resources for case-oriented work, see:
 >Developing Systems at a School for Problem
Identification, Triage, Referral, and Management of Care
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/practicenotes/developingsystems.pdf

http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/qf/case_mgmt_qt/

http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/consultation/consultation2003.pdf

 >Quick Find: Case/Care Management
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/qf/casemanagment.htm

Note: You can anticipate major concerns that
arise over the course of the school year that
provide natural opportunities to strengthen
support for learning. To see the "calendar" of
monthly concerns and themes, see "Ideas for
Enhancing Support at Your School this Month" on
the Center's home page at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

@#@#@#@#@#
"The principal working with a teacher on
classroom management noted she was
over-emphasizing competition and encouraged her
to use more cooperative activities.  The teacher
agreed to try it and put up a new bulletin board:
"Who Can Be the Most Cooperative This Week?"
                                                 Attributed to Rick Lavoie
                                                                         @#@#@#@#@##@

http://gwired.gwu.edu/hamfish

http://www.mchlibrary.info/knowledgepaths/kp_domviolence.html

http://www.all4ed.org/files/ECAG.pdf

http://www.ojjdp.ncjrs.gov/publications/pubabstract.asp?pubi=240090

 >Evidence-Informed Public Health and a
Compendium of Critical Appraisal Tools for Public Health Practice
http://nccmt.ca/pubs/eiph_backgrounder.pdf

http://www.childtrends.org/Files/Child_Trends-2008_09_15_FR_ReadinessReport.pdf

http://www.publicschoolinsights.org/?storyID=23168

how? http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12446

 >Developing school connectedness in diverse
youth through extracurricular programming
http://www.tpronline.org/article.cfm/developing_school_connectedness_in_diverse_youth

Note: For a wide range of relevant websites, see
our Gateway to a World of Resources
at  http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/gateway/gateway_sites.htm

@#@#@
         "Robinsons's Law: The person you beat out of a prime parking spot is
            the one you have to see for the job interview."
                                                                                 @#@#@#

-http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/upconf.htm

Papers -http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/upcall.htm

 >Training and Job Opportunities - http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/job.htm

Information on each of these is updated on an
ongoing basis on our website. Just click on the
indicated URL or on What's New on our website at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu. If you would like to
add information on these, please send it to ltaylor at ucla.edu

Special Job Announcement

Branch Chief in the Mental Health Promotion
Branch, Division of Prevention, Traumatic Stress
and Special Programs, Center for Mental Health
Services at SAMHSA (a newly created Mental Health
Promotion Branch leadership position). The position closes on November 14, 2008

The successful applicant will provide national
leadership in efforts related to the design,
implementation and administration of the Safe
Schools/Healthy Students initiative, a
partnership with the Federal Department of
Education and SAMHSA/CMHS to make a difference in schools across the country.

Applicants should be knowledgeable about current
developments in the field of mental health
promotion and initiatives designed to prevent
mental and behavioral disorders and be able to
apply a public health model to relieve mental
health problems, and foster the promotion of
mental health across the life span.

The position involves the supervision of a multi
disciplinary staff of several mental health
professionals. Successful applicants should have
experience supervising, motivating and training
subordinates with a wide range of professional interests and experiences.

Application information on the position can be found at: www.usajobs.gov
The job number is HHS-SMA-2009-0004

**UCLA CENTER – BRIEF UPDATE

The following are a few highlights. The Center
continuously develops and updates resources; see
What's New at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/review.htm

*Online course through the National Association of State Title I Directors
Academics and Beyond: Addressing Barriers to
Learning and Teaching – This video and powerpoint
presentation was developed for the National
Association of State Title I Directors based on
the Center's work. It comes with Facilitator and
Participant Study Guides. Hosted by Jackie
Jackson, former director of Title I at the U.S.
Office of Education, the video is designed as a
panel discussion featuring the Center's
co-directors and Rhonda Neal Waltman, Former
Assistant Superintendent, Mobile County Public
Schools. See http://www.nastidonline.com/coursedetails.html
**************************************
  >>Rebuilding for Learning: A Collaborative Initiative with Scholastic, Inc.

Immediately after announcing the initiative a few
weeks ago, we began to receive a stream of
expression of interest from state departments of
education, district superintendents, and leaders
at universities. For those who missed the
announcement, see it online at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/announcement(10-14-08).pdf

In brief, the Center has established a
public-private collaboration with the Community
Affairs Unit of Scholastic to provide education
leaders with meaningful and ongoing learning
opportunities around planning and implementing
improved systems for addressing barriers to learning and teaching.

Interested state and local leadership teams will
have the opportunity to apply for a grant to
cover leadership team participation in a Rebuilding for Learning Institute.
Participating teams that demonstrate a serious
commitment to developing a comprehensive system
of learning supports as an integral part of
school improvement and need assistance with
planning or implementation will be eligible to
apply for a mini-grant to support additional
technical assistance. For all who move forward,
capacity building information, guidance and
support will be provided from the Center at UCLA
and/or members from the Rebuilding for Learning Team.

The initiative will offer:
 > In person professional input and interchange
(e.g. Rebuilding for Learning Institute and on-site technical assistance)
 > Online professional development and guidance
(e.g. continuing education and online technical assistance)
 > Print and online supplemental resources
**************************************
About the Initiative Component

Rebuilding for Learning Institute – orients
school leaders to the need for student learning
supports, the full continuum of essential
school-community interventions, and the core
principles and tenets of comprehensive learning
support systems. District or state leadership
teams leave the Institute with an emerging
"blueprint" that enables them to more deeply
investigate student learning supports and the
feasibility for instituting change in their districts or states.

Rebuilding for Learning Online Institute –
available to Institute participants, this
resource allows users to probe deeper with theory
and practice content. The online resources are
especially designed as aids for moving forward.

Technical Assistance – Institute participants
pursuing implementation of comprehensive learning
support systems have access to the initiative's
team of specialists who are available to provide
strategic guidance as districts move from planning to implementation.

Rebuilding for Learning Core Materials – provide
administrators with information on student
learning supports policies and practices. Core
materials include the Rebuilding for Learning
Institute Handbook. The handbook is provided to
all in person institute participants.

**************************************
Interested in Exploring Participation in the
Rebuilding For Learning Initiative?

We invite state and district superintendents,
school boards, education associations, and chairs
of university departments of education to express
their interest in exploring ways to connect with
the initiative. Send an email to: Ltaylor at ucla.edu

**************************************

 >>New Resource for the National Initiative: New
Directions for Student Support:

The Center has prepared a brief paper entitled:

         What is a Comprehensive Approach to Student Supports?
         http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/whatiscomp.pdf

This resource was developed in response to the
increasing stream of statements related to the
ESEA reauthorization calling for "a comprehensive
approach" to student supports. Too often what is
being identified as comprehensive is not
comprehensive enough, and generally the approach
described is not about developing a system of
supports but a proposal to enhance coordination
of fragmented efforts. Many times the emphasis
mainly is on health and social services, usually
with the notion of connecting more community
services to schools. All this is relevant. But,
most proposals to improve supports still fail to
escape old ways of thinking about what schools
need both in terms of content and process. The
brief conveys our perspective of what does and
doesn't constitute a comprehensive approach.

**************************************
 >>Youth ages 18 to 24

The term Mental health in schools tends to convey
a focus mainly on K-12. However, it is clear that
pre-school programs also are relevant and so is
post-12 transition and schooling. In this latter
respect see the new online clearinghouse Quick Find topic on

"Transition from Adolescence"
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/qf/transition_from_adolescence.htm

If you know of links to materials we should add,
please let us know. Ltaylor at ucla.edu

Note: We continually update the resources on our
website. A convenient way to access information
is through the Quick Find online clearinghouse.
Alphabetized by topic, you can access information
on 130 topics relevant to addressing barriers to
learning. Each includes links to Center
Resources, online reports, other centers focusing
on the topic, and relevant publications. Go to
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu and click on Quick
Find. If you would like to add a resource, let us know. Ltaylor at ucla.edu

For more information on the UCLA Center for
Mental Health in Schools, go to the website at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu or contact Howard
Adelman and Linda Taylor, Co-directors at the
School Mental Health Project/Center for Mental
Health in Schools, UCLA, Department of
Psychology, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1563. Phone
(310) 825-3634. Toll Free (866) 846-4843; Fax
(310) 206-8716; Email: smhp at ucla.edu

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Check out our sister center, the Center for
School Mental Health at http://csmh.umaryland.edu
or contact Mark Weist, Director, CSMH, University
of Maryland at Baltimore, Department of
Psychiatry, 737 W. Lombard St. 4th Floor,
Baltimore, MD 21202. Toll Free (888) 706-0980. Email: csmh at psych.umaryland.edu

                         @#@@##
                                 "Only those who
see the invisible can do the impossible."
                                                                 Thanks
to Jean Steverson
                                                                                 @#@#@#

**COMMENTS, REQUESTS, INFO, QUESTIONS FROM THE FIELD

A Request: "I am charged with writing an
accountability and policy framework to support
the Community Schools and Community Education
component of SchoolPlus [in Canada] in order to
establish a consistent framework for measuring
student outcome correlations with the Community
School/Education renewal. Basically the
government wants to measure if the additional
funding going to the designated schools is
improving learning outcomes and we can tell one
way or another because when it was rolled out
there was no mandated framework provided and
there are significant discrepancies with respect
to the allocation of funding and programs
offered. I am wondering if there is a working
group on developing something similar to what I am describing."

We were asked to share the following:

(1) From the Research and Training Center on
Family Support and Children's Mental Health,
Portland State University, Portland, Oregon
         "Are you a young person aged 14-25 who
has an emotional or mental health condition?
OR Are you a parent or other caregiver of a child
between the ages of 14-25 with an emotional or mental health condition? IF SO,
         We invite you to take a survey that asks
about your experiences with discrimination
         or stigmatization. Results of the survey
will be published in the January 2008 issue of
Focal Point: Research, Practice and Policy in Children''s Mental Health.
         o If you finish the survey, you can
enter for a chance to win a $25 gift certificate to Amazon.com
         o The survey is completely anonymous
         o The survey takes about 15 minutes"

Deadline is November 26, 2008       Access the
survey from http://www.rtc.pdx.edu
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

(2) From a learning management company:
"We have been providing online tutoring services
for the special needs and learning disabled
student segment for the last three years. We
consider our main goal to be around enhancing
student performance and using technology as an
enabler to achieving this objective. As an online
tutoring company (we also do software and content
development for the K-12 segment), we have seen
that technology enabled distance learning has
allowed several special needs and learning
challenged students do remarkably well in our
programs. We are currently trying to expand our
services to reach out to more of the LD segment
across the country and have been urged and
encouraged by our customer parents to take our
message to a wider audience."  http://www.mytutor24.com
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

(3) From the Oregon Center for Applied Science – www.orcasinc.com :
"We have created a fun and educational computer
program to help adolescents learn about and
prevent depression. For this research study we
need to recruit 300 adolescents ages 11-15 to
evaluate the program. Adapted from an empirically
validated intervention, the program will include
six CBT modules, interactive and educational
games, and additional content related to youth
depression. Youth who participate will be
compensated up to $120 for their time. They will
also have the unique opportunity to learn new
skills to help them feel better more of the time
while helping us develop a program to meet the
needs of others their age. To get additional
information about the project, request
recruitment materials, or sign up to participate,
please call 1-866-822-0226 or email
bluesblaster at orcasinc.com. (Funded by: National Institute of Mental Health)."
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

THIS IS THE END OF THIS ISSUE OF E-NEWS

See below for source identifying information
Who Are We? Under the auspices of the School
Mental Health Project in the Department of
Psychology at UCLA, the national Center for
Mental Health in Schools was established in 1995.
The Project and Center are co-directed by Howard
Adelman and Linda Taylor. The UCLA Center is one
of two national centers first funded in
October,1995, by the Office of Adolescent Health,
Maternal and Child Health Bureau(Title V, Social
Security Act), Health Resources and Services
Administration, U.S. Dept. of Health & Human
Services (Project #U45MC00175). In open
competition, both Centers were refunded in 2000
for a second 5 year cycle with the Substance
Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's
Center for Mental Health Services joining HRSA as
a co-funder. In 2005 after open competition, both
Centers were funded for a third five year cycle.
(In this cycle, SAMHSA joined HRSA as a co-funder
only for the first year.) As sister Centers, the
Center at UCLA and the one at the University of
Maryland focus on advancing efforts to enhance
how schools address mental health and
psychosocial concerns. A description and
evaluation of the Center's work and impact is
available at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

For more information about the Center or about
ENEWS, contact Center Coordinator Perry Nelson or
Center Co-Directors Howard Adelman and Linda Taylor at:
UCLA School Mental Health Project/Center for Mental Health in Schools
Box 951563, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1563
Phone (310) 825-3634; Toll Free (866) 846-4843;
Fax (310) 206-8716; email: smhp at ucla.edu