[mentalhealth-l] ENEWS: June, 2007 (Vol. 11 #9)

School Mental Health Project mentalhealth-l at lists.ucla.edu
Fri Jun 1 08:17:17 PDT 2007

ENEWS: A Monthly Forum for Sharing and Interchange

June, 2007 (Vol. 11 #9)

Source: UCLA School Mental Health Project/Center for Mental Health in Schools

ENEWS is one of the many resources our Center offers to those concerned
with enhancing policies, programs, and practices related to addressing
barriers to student learning and to promoting mental health in
schools.  For more on what our federally supported Center can provide, see
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

<><><><>
Feel Free to Forward this to Anyone
<><><><><><><>

WHAT'S HERE THIS MONTH

**Emerging Issue
         > Retaining Teachers

**News from around the country

**Recent Publications Relevant to
         >Children's mental and physical health
         >Family, school & Community
         >Policy, systems, law, ethics, finances & statistics

**This month's focus for schools to address barriers to learning
         >June – Summer and summer-minded students

**Other helpful internet resources

**Upcoming initiatives, conferences & workshops

**Calls for grant proposals, presentations & papers

**UCLA Center activities and resources update

**Training & job opportunities

**Comments, requests, information, questions from the field

<><><><>
To post messages to ENEWS, email them to ltaylor at ucla.edu

To subscribe/unsubscribe to ENEWS, go to
http://lists.ucla.edu/cti-bin/mailman/listinfo/mentalhealth-l and follow
the directions.  Alternatively, you can send an email request to
smhp at ucla.edu asking to be added to the ENEWS listserv.
<><><><>

**EMERGING ISSUE

 >>>Retaining Teachers
While there is widespread sentiment for not retaining bad teachers, it has
been evident for some time that too many teachers are dropping out. Some
reports suggest that the proportion of new teachers leaving within their
first 3-5 years is as high as 50%. It is extremely costly to recruit and
train these professionals, and the loss of so many not only is a great
burden financially, it is a major factor in impeding school improvement and
student learning, and it is a fundamental mental health concern.

Clearly, no one argues against doing something to reverse this trend.
Issues do arise, however, over how best to retain teachers.

Almost everyone agrees that teachers deserve higher salaries. But, the
economic realities of financing for public education seem to guarantee that
teachers base salaries will never be high enough to ensure high rates of
retention. So, some argue for individual performance bonuses, and others
argue that such bonuses will exacerbate the problem. Beyond dollars,
research points to factors that make the job too much to bear (e.g., too
many difficult students, too little support for addressing barriers to
learning and teaching, feelings of alienation from colleagues and/or
students). So, some argue for smaller schools and smaller classes; others
argue for major systemic changes to enhance student and staff supports in
ways that focus directly on ways to support the work of teachers and
enhance their sense of well-being and engagement.
The debate rages on: What should be done to retain a higher proportion of
teachers?
Let us know what you think. ltaylor at ucla.edu
###########

**NEWS FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY

TEACHERS DROPPING OUT
"Teachers are departing the profession in alarming numbers ... but simply
offering them more money won't solve the problems according to a report
from the Center for Teacher Quality at Cal State Sacramento. .... Classroom
interruptions, student disciplines, increasing demands, insufficient
supplies, overcrowding, unnecessary meeting, lack of support – all play a
role in burning out teachers." 4/27/07 Los Angeles Times.
http://www.latimes.com
  FEDERAL LEGISLATION INTRODUCED FOR MH IN SCHOOLS
Senator Edward Kennedy states that "Comprehensive school mental health
program should be designed for all students.  They should obviously include
both identification and referral of specific individuals for treatment, but
they should also include programs and services that promote positive mental
health and prevent mental health problems for a broader population of
students."  The Mental Health in Schools Act of 2007 has been introduced to
provide competitive grants to local education agencies in order to assist
them in providing comprehensive school based mental health programs for
students in k-12.  5/8/07  http://kennedy.senate.gov/newsroom/
GAO REPORT: SCHOOLS NEED MORE TRAINING FOR HANDLING EMERGENCIES
"In many cases, schools have never trained alongside local emergency
response teams, and in a few districts, school officials won't even be able
to use their walkie-talkies to communicate with first responders during an
emergency, says the new 50-state study conducted by the Government
Accountability Office." 5/18/07 USA Today.  Http://usatoday.com
16% FAIL TEXAS GRADUATION TEST
"Nearly one of every six high school seniors – a record 40,182 students in
the Class of 2007 – won't get a diploma this month after failing to pass
all sections of the state's high school graduation test, the Texas
Education Agency said. Minority students were hit hardest by the test
requirement as about one in four black and Hispanic seniors were unable to
made the grade..."  5/12/07.  Dallas Morning News. http://www.dallasnews.com
SPECIAL ED AND EARLY INTERVENING
"Many children in special education classes may not belong there, the
government says.  A new policy is aimed at intervening early with intensive
teaching to give struggling students a chance to succeed in regular
classroom and escape the "special ed" label.... Schools nationwide get
roughly $11 billion a year in federal money for special education.  In
cases where districts have a disproportionately high number of minorities
in special education, educators must use 15% of special education funds on
intensive services in the early grades."  5/3/07 http://www.boston.com
INCREASING CONCERN ABOUT PSYCHOTROPIC MEDICATION FOR CHILDREN
"The intersection of money and medicine, and its effect on the well-being
of patients, have become one of the most contentious issues in health
care.  Nowhere is that more true than in psychiatry, where increasing
payments to doctors have coincided with the growing use in children of a
relatively new class of drugs known as atypical antipsychotics."
5/10/07.  New York Times.  http://www.nytimes.com
HOW TO GAUGE A SCHOOL'S PROGRESS
"The call has been coming from all corners to incorporate ‘growth models'
into the way schools are judged. ... They say it would be more fair to
schools with a high turnover of students (common in high-poverty areas),
because they could show the learning outcomes of students actually that
there that year, versus newcomers, who may have low scores reflecting their
previous experience. " 4/26/07 Christian Science Monitor.
http://www.csmonitor.com
REAUTHORIZATION OF FEDERAL EDUCATION ACT
As reported in Education Week, Rep. George Miller has indicated openness to
"Substantial Changes" to NCLB in its Reauthorization. However, as is
evident from the following summary, so far the ideas receiving the most
attention still do not reflect key concerns related to addressing learning,
behavior, and emotional problems. As the article indicates: "Members of the
House of Representatives want changes to No Child Left Behind, and the
chairman of the chamber's education committee, Rep. George Miller, is
saying he's willing to make some of them. Twenty-five House members
formally presented their ideas for revising the law in a meeting with the
senior members of the Education and Labor Committee. Among the ideas
offered: change the method for calculating districts' and schools' yearly
progress to measure student academic growth and include factors other than
test scores; assess students with disabilities on the basis of their
progress toward meeting goals in their individualized education programs;
and figure out ways to determine whether teachers are highly qualified
other than by the types of credentials they have, and give rural schools
leniency on the teacher-quality rules."

Note: An open letter to Congress has been sent to all Senators and
Representatives about the need for a specific agenda item in the
reauthorization hearings discussing school improvement policies as related
to how best to address and integrate a focus on barriers to learning and
teaching. The letter currently is endorsed by over 40 organizations and
over150 other individuals. (The letter and endorsements are online at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/congress%20letter.pdf).
Additional endorsements are being added daily and follow-up mailings will
be sent to the members of the Education Committees in both houses and to
other organizations who are likely to be influencing the discussion with
Congress.

Those who would like to be added to the list still can do so by sending an
email to smhp at ucla.edu.

And, of course, everyone is encouraged to use the letter in any way you can
think of so that Congress will discuss the matter. Several colleagues have
indicated that they have access directly to a senator or representative or
their aides and will forward the material electronically or as hardcopies.
If you need hardcopies to send, just let us know, and we will get them to
you quickly.
#############################
Each week the Center highlights a newsworthy story online at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/newsitems.htm

Also access other news stories relevant to mental health in schools through
links at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/linkstolatest.htm

**RECENT PUBLICATIONS (IN PRINTS AND ON THE WEB)

*Children's Mental and Physical Health

 >Racial disparities in mental health service use by adolescents who
thought about or attempted suicide. (2007) S. Freedenthal, Suicide and Life
Threatening Behavior, 37(1) 22-34. http://www.guilford.com/pr/jnsl.htm

 >Depression and the initiation of alcohol and other drug use among youths
aged 12-17. (2007)
http://oas.samhsa.gov/2k7/newUserDepression/newUserDepression.cfm

 >Effective interventions for underserved populations. (2007) Entire issue
of Focal Point from the Research and Training Center at Portland
University. http://www.rtc.pdx.edu

 >Interventions to reduce harm associated with adolescent substance use
(2007) J. Toumbourou, et al, Lancet, 369(9570) 1391-401.
http://sciencedirect.com/science/journal/01406736

 >Characteristics and trends of self-harming behaviour in young people
(2007) K. Cleaver, British Journal of Nursing, 61(3) 148-52.
http://www.britishjournalofnursing.com/

 >Preventing drug use among children and adolescents: A research based
guide for parents, educators, and community leaders (2007)
http://www.drugabuse.gov/prevention/prevopen.html

 >Social and school connectedness in early secondary school as predictors
of late teenage substance use, mental health, and academic outcomes (2007)
L. Bond, et al., Journal of Adolescent Health, 40(4) 357-66.
http://download.journals.elsevierhealth.com/pdfs/journals/1054-139X/PIIS1054139X06004228.pdf

*Family, School & Community

 >School violence and teacher professional disengagement (2007) B. Galand,
et al., British Journal of Educational Psychology, 77(Pt 2) 465-477.
http://www.bps.org.uk/publications/jep_1.cfm

 >Weekend schoolyard accessibility, physical activity, and obesity: The
Trial of Activity in Adolescent Girls study (2007) M. Scott, et al.,
Preventive Medicine, 44(5) 398-403. http://www.sciencedirect.com

 >Prosocial involvement and antisocial peer affiliations as predictors of
behavior problems in urban adolescents: Main effects and moderating
effects.  (2007) D. Kaufmann, et al., Journal of Community Psychology,
35(4) 417-434. http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0090-4392/

 >The role of adults, public space, and power in adolescent community
connectedness (2007) J. Whitlock, Journal of Community Psychology, 35(4)
499-518. http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0090-4392/

Leadership, 64(7) 68-71. http://www.ascd.org

Education, 15. http://www.annenberginstitute.org/vue/index.html

(2007)  http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=2007026

 >Prospective associations between delinquency and suicidal behaviors in a
nationally representative sample (2007) M. Thompson, et al., Journal of
Adolescent Health, 40(3) 232-7. http://www.jahonline.org

 >Supplemental Education Services under NCLB: Emerging evidence and policy
issues.  (2007) P. Burch.
http://epsl.asu.edu/epru/documents/EPSL-0705-232-EPRU.pdf

 >Education actions may help improve implementation and evaluation of
Supplemental Educational Services (2007)
http://www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?gao-07-738t

http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=2007018

 >The economic costs of poverty in the United States: Subsequent effects of
children growing up poor (2007) Institute for Research on
Poverty.  Discussion Paper no. 1327-07.  Http://www.irp.wisc.edu

Note: The Quick Find online clearinghouse at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu is
updated regularly with new reports and publications such as those listed
above.  Currently there are over 100 alphabetized topic pages with direct
links to Center materials and to other online resources and related
centers.  Let us know about publications and reports that should be
included in this dedicated online clearinghouse.  Ltaylor at ucla.edu

@#@#@#
"To do good things is noble.  To advise others to do good things is even
nobler –
     and a lot easier."
         Mark Twain
         @#@#@#

**MONTHLY FOCUS FOR SCHOOLS TO ADDRESS BARRIERS TO LEARNING

 >>June – Summer and Summer-minded Students and Staff

As the traditional school year draws to a close, it is important to focus
staff and students on strategies for renewal and continuing learning.
 >For students -- It is wonderful when schools help families and
neighborhood resources to plan ways to provide youngsters with a wide range
of summer opportunities using the school facilities, local libraries, parks
and recreation, faith-based venues, and whatever else is available in the
neighborhood. The focus needs to be on fun recreation, enrichment, and
youth development activities, as well as additional ways to advance skills
and knowledge. Organize field trips to venues such as the local library so
students can enrol in summer reading and computer learning programs and to
the parks for an introduction to their programs. And, of course, be certain
that steps are taken to connect students who are manifesting problems to
the resources they need.

Where schools are in session during the summer months, the number of
students may be fewer and the opportunities for innovation greater.
Teachers and learning support staff may have more time to attend to
students at risk. For a wide range of ideas about helping students during
the summer months take a look at "Ideas for Enhancing Support at School
this Month" at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu and scroll down to June.  There
you will see ideas from

 >>Primer on Summer Learning Loss, Johns Hopkins Univ. Center for Summer
Learning
 >>Summer School: Unfulfilled Promise, Southern Regional Education Board
 >>Summers are for learning, Principal

Helping students find their way to the local library for motivated summer
reading and learning activities might be the best school-community
partnership you can develop. As Jane David and Larry Cuban note in "Cutting
through the Hype: A Taxpayer's Guide to School Reforms" "National data on
reading achievement for the past 35 years strongly suggest that whichever
reading approach is in vogue make no difference overall.  Scores from the
National Assessment of Educational Progress how little change since
1971.  One exception is a jump in scores for 9 year olds from 1999 to 2004,
too early to reflect changes in federal policy, but perfect timing to
reflect the impact of the hugely popular Harry Potter books."

 >For staff -- Besides catching up on their lives, school staff usually
catch up on their personal reading and their professional development.
There are conferences and web-based learning to provide new ideas for doing
the work "smarter." See relevant conferences on our website at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/upconf.htm . And, for a range of web-based
learning, see the U.S. Department of Education series on Lead and Manage My
School. http://www.ed.gov/admins/lead/safety/training/index.html

This is also an important time for "Debriefing" to explore and do some
planning for how things might be done better next year. (As an aid, again
see the range of "Ideas for Enhancing Support at Your School" online at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/schoolsupport.htm ). Done well such debriefing
and planning can lead to some new processes and better outcomes and renewed
hope.
@#@#@#@#
Popular Bumper Sticker:
         "If you can read this, thank a teacher."
         @#@#@#

control"  http://www.illinoisearlylearning.org/tipsheets/impulsecontrol.htm

youth  http://www.rtc.pdx.edu/pgDataTrends2007.shtml

 >National High School Center. http://www.betterhighschools.org/pubs/
Dropout prevention for students with disabilities: a critical issue for
state education agencies
Youth  http://guide.helpingamericasyouth.gov

Policies  http://www.financeproject.org/irc/youth/index.asp

 >New Spanish publication "What does it mean to be
parents"   http://www.nichd.nih.gov/significapadres

Note: For a wide range of relevant websites, see our Gateway to a World of
Resources at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/gateway/gateway_sites.htm

**A FEW UPCOMING INITIATIVES, CONFERENCES AND WORKSHOPS

Below is just a small sample.  For additional and ongoing information about
conferences, refer to our website Conferences section at

treatment. June 8, Birmingham, AL. http://adolescent.chsys.org

Canada.  http://www.utoronto.ca/chp/MentalHealthSymposium2007.html

http://www.schoolcounselor.org

DC  http://www.nasbhc.org

TN  http://www.nasn.org

HI  http://www.ashaweb.org

Washington, DC. http://www.ffcmh.org

 >National Association of School Psychology, February 6-9, New Orleans, LA.
http://www.nasponline.org

Note: If you want to list your conference, please email information to
ltaylor at ucla.edu

@#@#@#
"Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it."
         @#@#@#@#

**CALLS FOR GRANT PROPOSALS, PRESENTATIONS & PAPERS

Below is just a sample.  If you want to Surf the Internet for Funds, go to
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu.  Click on Quick Find, scroll down Center
and to Quick Training Aid on Financing Strategies to Address Barriers to
Learning

For updated info on federal grants, see the electronic storefront at
http://www.grants.gov
There you can double check due dates and access applications

A Few Examples of Current Grant Opportunities.

(http://ojjdp.ncjrs.gov)
         >>High-risk Youth Offender Reentry and Family Strengthening
Initiative. Due 6/8/07

Calls for Proposals

conference.  Proposals Due 6/30/07. Http://www.ffcmh.org

 >National Association of School Psychology conference. Presentations
proposals due 6/15/07. http://www.nasponline.org

@@#@#@##@@#
"I've got a mind like a ...a...what's that thing called?"
         @#@#@#

**UCLA CENTER ACTIVITIES AND RESOURCES UPDATE

 >Ongoing Center Initiatives to Promote Policy and Practice Discussion
 >>Reauthorization Agenda. The Elementary and Secondary Education Act (No
Child Left Behind Act) reauthorization hearings have not specifically
focused on addressing barriers to learning and teaching. The Center is
working to encourage addition of such an agenda item – see Open Letter to
Congress –  http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/congress%20letter.pdf

We continue to receive responses for individuals and organizations that
want to be added to the letter encouraging Congress to include a focus on
addressing barriers to learning in the reauthorization of No Child Left
Behind.  If you want to be added, let us know.

–  http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/summit2002/outreachcampaign.htm#call

status at –  http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/summit2002/currentstatus.htm
 >Partnership with Scholastic, Inc. for Leadership Institutes
As reported previously, Scholastic has asked us to partner with them as
they pursue an initiative called "Rebuilding for Learning." Our emphasis is
on rebuilding learning supports. The intent is to guide  policy makers and
administrators as they respond to the imperative for developing a
comprehensive system of learning supports to address barriers to learning
and teaching at every school. As a first phase, we are currently preparing
a set of introductory leadership materials; then, we will provide a series
of Leadership Institutes for high level policy maker and administrator
organizations with whom Scholastic works.

We have done an initial draft of the material and have revamped a tool kit
to support efforts to rebuild systems for learning supports. The tool kit
is already online (see http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/toolkit.htm
).
 >New Publication
"Reorganizing Student Support to Enhance Equity" by Adelman & Taylor. In
Multicultural Handbook of School Psychology: An Interdisciplinary
Perspective (2007) edited by G. Esquivel, E. Lopez, and S. Nahari. Lawrence
Erlbaum Associates, Publishers.
 >New Guidance Note
Gateways to Resources for Enhancing Positive Outcomes for All Students:
Resources focused on prevention, on intervening as soon as problems are
identified, and for chronic and severe problems.  Go to
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu. Click on Center Materials, by format. Scroll
down to Guidance Notes.
 >Summer Newsletter is in the mail and online at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/Newsletter/summer07.pdf
Featured in the current newsletter:
 >>Evidence-based Practices in Schools: Concerns about Fit and Context
 >>Research-base for a Comprehensive System of Learning Supports
 >>Using Data Wisely

For financial reasons, the summer issue of our quarterly newsletter/journal
is the last hard copy issue we will mail. In the future, it will be sent as
an electronic attachment and website posting. As a test, a week ago we sent
you the newsletter as an attachment to an email. If you didn't receive it,
let us know.
Intervention  http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/qf/responsetointervention.htm

 >>Center Policy & Practice Analysis Brief – Youth Gangs and
Schools
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/policyissues/Youth%20gangs%20&%20Schools.pdf

  Note: For more information on the UCLA Center for Mental Health in
Schools, go to the website at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu or contact
Howard Adelman and Linda Taylor, Co-directors
School Mental Health Project/Center for Mental Health in Schools
UCLA Department of Psychology
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1563
Phone: (310) 825-3634; Toll Free (866) 846-4843; Fax (310) 206-8716
Email: smhp at ucla.edu

###########
Check out our sister center, Center for School Mental Health Analysis and
Action, at http://csmha.umaryland.edu or contact Mark Weist, Director,
CSMHA, University of Maryland at Baltimore, Department of Psychiatry, 737
W. Lombard St. 4th floor, Baltimore, MD 21202. Toll free phone:
888-706-0980. Email csmh at umpsy.umaryland.edu

@#@@##@#
"I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
         @#@#@#

**TRAINING AND JOB OPPORTUNITIES

Note: For info on employment opportunities, see
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/job.htm

Following the list of current openings, you will see links to HRSA, SAMHSA,
and other relevent job sites.

Below are a few opportunities that have been brought directly to our
attention this month:

<Program Associates>
The Finance Project, Washington, DC.
http://www.financeproject.org/about/employment.asp

<Postdoctoral>
Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Violence
Prevention.  Atlanta, GA.  Contact Daniel Whitaker at dwhitaker at CDC.gov

<School Social Worker>
Brookline High School, Brookline, MA. Contact Fran Kuehn at
francis_kuehn at brookline.k12.ma.us

@#@#@##
"I couldn't care less about apathy."
         @#@#@#

**COMMENTS, REQUESTS, INFO, QUESTIONS FROM THE FIELD

 > Re. the fragmentation of efforts to provide learning supports in schools
"If we conservatively estimate that each public school (almost 100,000)
applies 10 non-curricular, non-instructional, non-sport interventions and
preventions, that's a lot of potential for fragmentation. That does not
count the 3,100 (+/-) U.S. counties (with family services agencies and the
like), 17,000 school districts, approximately 20,000 jurisdictions
(townships, towns and cities, regional governments and other educational
coalitions). These large numbers don't reflect the disconnectedness among
interventions and preventions WITHIN a school.
I have my own ideas on how some sanity can be applied to all of this
activity, but I'll settle for addressing barriers to learning for now."
 >Re. last month's issue: Response to Intervention
like to note that in our state as part of the process for updating our
state regulations to comply with IDEIA 2004, our Department of education
held hearings to obtain input on RTI among many other issues. Advocacy
groups attacked the proposal as merely a plot by educators to deny or delay
services to handicapped children. Virtually no one from education stood up
to them and spoke in favor of RTI. The Department convened a focus group to
make a recommendation and we recommended that the state adopt RTI as its
standard procedure for identifying specific learning disabilities. The
State Board of Education refused to accept this recommendation and instead
chose to offer districts the option of using RTI or a discrepancy model.
Even this compromise is being heavily attacked although we have pointed out
to the Board that IDEIA prohibits banning RTI as an option."
 >We were asked to share this information:
" I have a new book coming out in July that would be a nice addition to any
school counselor's office. It's a novel about a girl living with her
mentally ill and ineffective father and how she has to save her sister from
her mother's abuse. But it's also about finding your value, learning to be
careful what you believe about yourself, and finding your voice to speak
the truth. It's the kind of book you could give a kid who is struggling
with abuse/abandonment/parentification. This is my second book. My first,
Save Me! A Young Woman's Journey Through Schizophrenia to Health
(Doubleday) was used as a supplemental text in colleges around the country
and is still available in many libraries."
  ############################
THIS IS THE END OF THIS ISSUE OF ENEWS
See below for source identifying information

Who Are We? Under the auspices of the School Mental Health Project in the
Department of Psychology at UCLA, the national Center for Mental Health in
Schools was established in 1995. The Project and Center are co-directed by
Howard Adelman and Linda Taylor. The UCLA Center is one of two national
centers first funded in October,1995, by the Office of Adolescent Health,
Maternal and Child Health Bureau(Title V, Social Security Act), Health
Resources and Services Administration, U.S. Dept. of Health & Human
Services (Project #U45MC00175). In open competition, both Centers were
refunded in 2000 for a second 5 year cycle with the Substance Abuse and
Mental Health Services Administration's Center for Mental Health Services
joining HRSA as a co-funder. In 2005 after open competition, both Centers
were funded for a third five year cycle. (In this cycle, SAMHSA joined HRSA
as a co-funder only for the first year.) As sister Centers, the Center at
UCLA and the one at the University of Maryland focus on advancing efforts
to enhance how schools address mental health and psychosocial concerns. A
description and evaluation of the Center's work and impact is available at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

For more information about the Center or about ENEWS, contact Center
Coordinator Perry Nelson or Center Co-Directors Howard Adelman and Linda
Taylor at:
UCLA School Mental Health Project/Center for Mental Health in Schools
Box 951563, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1563
Phone (310) 825-3634; Toll Free (866) 846-4843; Fax (310) 206-8716
email: smhp at ucla.edu