[mentalhealth-l] ENEWS: December, 2005 (vol. 10 #3)

mentalhealth-l at lists.ucla.edu mentalhealth-l at lists.ucla.edu
Tue Nov 29 16:22:48 PST 2005

ENEWS: A Monthly Forum for Sharing and Interchange

December, 2005 (vol. 10 #3)

Source: UCLA School Mental Health Project/
                 Center for Mental Health in Schools

ENEWS is one of the many resources our Center offers to those concerned
with enhancing policies, programs, and practices related to addressing
barriers to student learning and to promoting mental health in
schools.  For more on what our federally supported Center can provide, see
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

<><><><><><>
Feel Free to Forward this to Anyone
<><><><><><><>

WHAT'S HERE THIS MONTH

**Emerging Issue
         >The 65% Solution for School Funding

**This Month's Focus for Schools to Address Barriers to Learning
         >December – Re-engaging Students

**Recent Publications relevant to
         >Children's Mental and Physical Health
         >Family, School & Community
         >Policy, Systems, Law, Ethics, Finances & Statistics

**Upcoming Initiatives, Conferences & Workshops

**Calls for Grant Proposals, Presentations & Papers

**Updates for the two National Centers focusing on Mental Health in Schools

**Other Helpful Resources

**Training & Job Opportunities (including fellowships and scholarships)

**Comments/Requests/Information/Questions from the field

<><><><><><><>
To post message to ENEWS, E-mail them to ltaylor at ucla.edu

To subscribe/unsubscribe to ENEWS, go to:
and follow the directions to sign up.  Alternatively, you can send an email
request to smhp at ucla.edu asking to be added to the ENEWS listserv.

<><><><><><><>
**EMERGING ISSUE
         >>THE 65% SOLUTION FOR SCHOOL FUNDING

The "65 percent solution" is an initiative which is being promoted around
the country by an advocacy group called "First Class Education." The intent
is to have schools spend almost two-thirds of their operating budgets on
classroom expenses such as teacher salaries and student supplies. Of note:
The initiative is being advocated by the Governor in Missouri and a
legislative proposal in Florida. As noted in the Orlando Sentinel, "On its
face, it sounds simple: Spend more money on teachers, schoolbooks and
supplies, and students will get a better education. But maybe it's not so
simple -- especially if the extra money has to come from libraries, buses
and lunches and with no guarantee that the schools will improve. Advocates
say it's a way to boost spending on students without raising taxes. But
critics call the measure, which could go before voters next fall [in
Florida], a simplistic gimmick that could lead to cuts in other critical
school services."  The definition of classroom expenses comes from the
federal government. Among the concerns raised are that the definition of
student instruction expenses leaves out supportive services such as
transportation, utilities, librarians, student support staff, and more. The
Education Commissioner in Missouri is quoted in the Jefferson City News
Tribune as saying "We need to make sure they get the right things defined.
There's a lot more that goes into education than a teacher in the
classroom." (In Missouri, using the federal definition, schools currently
spend an average of 61 percent of taxpayer funding on instruction, which is
about the national average.)

Where do you stand on enacting the 65% solution? Send your comments to
ltaylor at ucla.edu and we will integrate and share them in next month's ENEWS.

@#@#@#@##
"Improving children's academic outcomes should be the No. 1 public health
agenda in the U. S.  There is virtually no other single variable that we
can find that has more impact on the rest of your life, both from physical
health and mental health, than school success."
         Cecil Reynolds
         @#@#@#@#

**NEWS FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY

*SAMHSA RELEASES FIRST NATIONAL SURVEY OF SCHOOL MH SERVICES
"One-fifth of students receive some type of school-supported mental health
services during the school year.... Elementary, middle, and high schools
all cite social, interpersonal or family problems as the most frequent
mental health problems for students."  11/22/05 SAMHSA News Release. Report
available at
  http://www.mentalhealth.samhsa.gov/media/ken/pdf/SMA05-4068/SMA05-4068.pdf

*JJDP VIDEOCONFERENCE FOCUSES ON YOUTH GANGS
On January 11, 2006, at 11 a.m. ET, the Office of Juvenile Justice and
Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP) will air the 2-hour videoconference
"Communities Respond to Youth Gangs in America." The videoconference
program, which may be viewed via satellite downlink or on the Internet,
will feature community programs and strategies that effectively address the
problem of youth gangs. It will explore strategies to leverage resources,
provide examples of partnerships across disciplines, highlight innovative
strategies, and share information on faith-based responses and neighborhood
efforts. The broadcast is designed for anyone interested in addressing
youth gangs, including school personnel, school resource officers/G.R.E.A.T
officers, law enforcement professionals, local Boys & Girls Club staff,
youth development professionals, probation and corrections officers,
prosecutors and court personnel, researchers, elected officials, and youth
leaders.To access further information and register online, go to
http://www.trc.eku.edu/jj

*SUICIDE ATTEMPTS INCREASE IN KATRINA'S AFTERMATH
"The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina has taken a heavy emotional toll on
people throughout the Gulf Coast region. In Jefferson Parish, just outside
New Orleans, an apparent increase in the number of suicide attempts is one
sign of the psychological strain." 11/15/05 National Public Radio
http://www.npr.org/

*GRADE SCHOOL BULLYING INVOLVES 22% OF STUDENTS
"There are a lot of bullies in elementary school, and for every bully there
is at least one vict...In all, about 22% of school children are involved.
The victims of bullying appear to do worse in school, but all the children
involved in bullying – form either side – say they're usually sad and don't
feel they belong at school." 11/7/05
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Pediatrics/GeneralPediatrics/tb/2085

*HOUSE PASSES BILL TO PREVENT SCHOOLS FROM REQUIRING MEDICATION
Recently, the U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill (H.R. 1790) that
would forbid schools that receive federal funds from "requiring a child to
obtain a prescription for a controlled substance or a psychotropic drug as
a condition for attending school or receiving services." The reference is
to drugs used in the diagnosis, treatment, or prevention of a disease and
those that alter perception, emotion, or behavior. The bill now goes to the
Senate. (The legislation can be read and tracked at http://thomas.loc.gov .)

*DRUGS ARE UP AND TALK IS DOWN FOR DEPRESSED TEENS
"The number of adolescents taking antidepressant is up while, as the same
time fewer depressed teens are being treated with psychotherapy or
mental-health counseling...The number of clinician visits by children and
adolescents being seen for depression more than doubled. However,
mental-health counseling including psychotherapy dropped from
83-68%...42-52% of all adolescent patient visits involving medication did
not include counseling." 11/16/05.
Http://www.medpagetoday.com/Psychiatry/Depression/tb/2164
http://www.nytimes.com

*PARENTS CARRY BURDEN OF PROOF IN SCHOOL CASES, COURT RULES
"The Supreme Court rules in a closely watched education case that parents
who disagree with a school system's special education plan for their child
have the legal burden of proving that the plan will not provide the
"appropriate" education to which federal law entitles all children with
disabilities...Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. did not take part in the
case because his former law firm represented the school district...The Bush
administration had originally entered the case on behalf of the
parents...But when the case reached the Supreme Court, the administration
switched sides." 11/15/05 The New York Times http://www.nytimes.com

*SOME STATES TO GET WIDER LATITUDE IN MEASURING STUDENTS' GAINS
"In an experiment, up to 10 states will be allowed to measure not just how
students are performing, but also how that performance is changing over
time. Schools are now judged based only on how today's students compare to
last year's students in math and reading–like fourth graders in 2005 versus
fourth graders in 2004.  Education officials in many states argue that such
a system does not recognize changes in the population or growth by
individual students." 11/19/05 New York Times

*VETERAN TEACHERS HARDER TO FIND
"New data from the Illinois State Board of Education from the 2004-05
school year shows that average teacher experience is the lowest in nearly
20 years...Educators attribute the drop to early retirement incentives,
budget troubles that make younger and cheaper teachers more attractive to
hire, and even less academic freedom as federal reforms pressure schools to
teach for tests." 10/24/05 Chicago Tribune

@#@#@#@#
"We owe it to our young people to build a system that will ensure every
single one of our students feels connected to and engaged in their learning
and gets the support they need to reach full success in high school and
graduates. That is, quite simply, our responsibility as educators."
         David P. Driscoll, Massachusetts Education Commissioner
         @#@#@#@#@#

Each week the Center highlights a newsworthy story online at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/newsitems.htm

Also, access other news stories relevant to mental health in schools
through links at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/linkstolatest.htm

###############
*Monthly Focus for Schools to Address Barriers to Learning
         >>December: Re-engaging Students: Use a student's time off in ways
that pay off!

For school staff and students the winter break is a welcome time for rest
and relaxation. It is also a valuable opportunity for appreciating what as
been accomplished in the first part of the school year, facing the fact
that there are some problems that need to be addressed, and anticipating a
fresh start in the new year.

By December, school staff and students know that for some students "it
isn't working."  Since giving up is no option, the focus must be on
re-engagement. Some of the common school-related reasons that students
disengage from classroom learning are that they are
         >not experiencing sufficient success in learning, so they give up
         >not having a good relationship with the teacher, so they react/resist
         >not having connected with a supportive group of friends, so they
feel isolated/alienated.
(A few student may be experiencing a lack of success related to all three.)

For ideas on how to use the time before, during, and after winter break to
address these problems, go to "Ideas for enhancing support at school this
month" on the Center website homepage at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu and
scroll down to December. You will see suggestions and strategies for
strengthening connections to disengaged students and for students to
re-connect with school.

@#@#@##@
"Do not train children to learning by force and harshness, but direct them
to it by what amuses their minds, so that you may be better able to
discover with accuracy the peculiar bent of the genius of each."
                         Plato
                                 @#@#

**RECENT PUBLICATIONS (IN PRINT AND ON THE WEB)

*Children's Mental and Physical Health

 > "Self esteem/self concept scales for children and adolescents: A review"
(2005) R. Butler & S. Gasson, Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 10 (4)
190. Http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/

 > "The stigmatization of mental illness in children and
families."  Summarized at Data Trends at
http://www.rtc.pdx.edu/pgDataTrends.shtml

CASEL Connection. http://www.casel.org/listservs/enewsletters/e-news-oct05.htm

 > "Suicide prevention strategies: A systematic review" (2005) J. Mann, et
al,  Journal of the American Medical Association, 294(16) 2064-2074.
  Http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/294/16/2064?etoc

 > "Treatment studies involving adolescents with drug and alcohol
disorders" (2005) J. Cornelius, Addictive Behaviors, 30 (9)
1627-1629.  Http://www.sciencedirect.com/

 > "An intensive mental health unit for adolescents in the correctional
setting" (2005) J. Niedermier & G. Thomas, Psychiatric Services, 56:1459.
Http://ps.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/56/11/1459?etoc

 > "Emergent suicidality in a clinical psychotherapy trial for adolescent
depression" (2005) J. Bridge, et al, American Journal of Psychiatry,
162:2173-2175.
Http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/162/11/2173?etoc

 > "Parents' and clinicians' perception of severity of referral problems"
(2005) S. Maguire & J. Guishard-Pine, Child and Adolescent Mental Health,
10 (4) 183.
Http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/

*Family, School & Community

 > "Facilitating youth self-change through school-based intervention"
(2005) S. Brown, et al, Addictive Behaviors, 20 (9) 1797-1810.
Http://www.sciencedirect.com/

 >>"State of the Art Research in Academic and Behavioral Assessment and
Intervention" (2005) Special Topic Issue, School Psychology Review, Vol. 34, #1
http://www.nasponline.org/publications/spr341index.html

 > "The effectiveness of school-based anger interventions and programs: A
meta-analysis" (2005) K. Gansle, Journal of School Psychology, 43 (4)
321-341.  Http://www.sciencedirect.com/

 > "Why it is so difficult to form effective community coalitions" (2005)
City & Community, 4 (3) 255-275.

 > "Educational Leadership" (2005) A review of the research prepared for
The Laboratory for Student Success by K. Leithwood
http://www.temple.edu/lss/pdf/Leithwood.pdf

Educational Leadership, 63 (3) 90-91. Http://www.ascd.org

 > "Factors associated with adoption of evidence-based substance use
prevention curricula in US school districts" (2005) L. Rohrbach, et al.,
Health Education Research, 20 (5)
514-526.  Http://her.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/20/5/514

 > "The classroom of popular culture: What video games can teach us about
making students want to learn" (2005) J. Gee, Harvard Education Letter,
Nov/Dec.
  Http://www.edletter.org/current/gee.shtml

 > "The Effectiveness of Whole-School Antibullying Programs: A Synthesis of
Evaluation Research" (2005) J. David Smith, B.H. Schneider, P.K. Smith, &
K. Ananiadou,  School Psychology Review, Vol. 33, #4, 547-560.
http://www.nasponline.org/publications/spr334index.html

 > "Bullying, psychosocial adjustment, and academic performance in
elementary school" (2005) G. Glew, et al, Archives of Pediatrics and
Adolescent Medicine, 159 (11)
1026-1031.  Http://archpedi.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/159/11/1026?etoc

 > "The influence of sociocultural factors on body image: A meta-analysis"
(2005) G. Cafri, et al, Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice 12(4)
421-433.  Http://clipsy.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/12/4/421?etoc

 > "Teacher connectedness and health-related outcomes among detained
adolescents" (2005) D. Voisin, et al., Journal of Adolescent Health, 37 (4)
337. Http://www.jahonline.org/article/PIIS1054139X05001436/abstract

*Policy, Systems, Law, Ethics, Finances & Statistics

 > "School Mental Health Services in the United States, 2002––2003."
(2005). S. Foster, M. Rollefson, T. Doksum, D. Noonan, G. Robinson,  & J.
Teich, DHHS Pub. No. (SMA) 05-4068. Rockville, MD: Center for Mental Health
Services, SAMHSA.
http://www.mentalhealth.samhsa.gov/media/ken/pdf/SMA05-4068/SMA05-4068.pdf

 > "Who's Left Behind?  Immigrant children in high and low LEP schools"
(2005) C. Consentino de Cohen, et al, The Urban Institute.
Http://www.urban.org/uploadedPDF/411231_whos_left_behind.pdf

 > "Cost-effectiveness of an intervention to prevent depression in at-risk
teens" (2005) F. Lynch, et al, Archives of General Psychiatry, 62 (11)
1241-1248.
  Http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/62/11/1241?etoc

 > "Children with complex mental health problems: Needs, costs and
predictors over one year" (2005) A. Clark, et al Child and Adolescent
Mental Health, 10 (4) 170
  http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/

 > "Indicators of School Crime and Safety: 2005."  National Center for
Education Statistics and the Bureau of Justice
Statistics.  Http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=2006001

 > "The averaged freshman graduation rate for public high schools from the
common core of data: school years 2001-2002 and 2002-03." (2005) National
Center for Education Statistics.
Http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=2006601

 > "Social and economic determinants of disparities in professional
help-seeking for child mental health problems: Evidence from a national
sample" (2005) F. Zimmerman, Health Services Research, 40, 1514.
Http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/

 > "Treatment integrity and therapeutic change: Issues and research
recommendations" (2005) F. Perepletchikova & A. Kazdin, Clinical
Psychology: Science and Practice, 12 (4)
365-383.  Http://clipsy.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/12/4/365?etoc

 > ‘Developmental and behavioral needs and service use for young children
in child welfare" (2005)  A. Stahmer, et al., Pediatrics, 116 (4)
891-900.  Http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/116/4/891

 > "Nation's report card" (2005) National Assessment of Educational
Progress, National Center for Education Statistics.
http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/

Note: The Quick Find Online Clearinghouse at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu is
updated regularly with new reports and publications such as those listed
above.  Currently there are over 100 alphabetized topic pages with direct
links to Center materials and to other online resources and related
centers.  Let us know about publications and reports that should be
included in this dedicated online clearinghouse.  Ltaylor at ucla.edu

@#@##
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
                                         Mark Twain
                                                 @#@#

http://guest.cvent.com/i.aspx?1Q,P1,DC84C5C0-C6D5-4B34-85F8-1AA4300208C1

 >National Conference on Disability Inclusion and National Service,
December 8-10, Alexandria, VA
http://www.regonline.com/27105

 >Alliance for Children and Families, Building Community Voices, December
9, New York, NY
http://www.alliance1.org/Conferences/CommunityVoices/

DC.  Http://www.bringingtheorytopractice.org

Base, February 22-25, Tampa, FL   http://rtckids.fmhi.usf.edu

http://www.blueprintsconference.com

AL.  Http://www.nationalcac.org/professionals/trainings/symposium.html

UT.  Http://www.ycwa.org/youthcon/index.html

Baltimore, MD. Http://www.mayatech.com/cti/jmate/index.htm

Anaheim, CA http://www.naspoline.org/conventions/2006Anaheim.html

http://www.sswaa.org/sswaaconf.html

Chicago, IL. Http://www.ascd.org

Health Systems, April 5-7, Boston, MA.  Http://www.gainscenter.samhsa.gov

Http://www.psychologicalscience.org/convention

Http://www.nmha.org

OR.  Http://www.nasbhc.org

 >American School Counselor Association, June 24-27, Chicago, IL
http://www.schoolcounselor.org/content.asp?pl=325&sl=129&contentid=182

*For more conference announcements, refer to our website conference section
at http://smhpl.psych.ucla.edu/upconf.htm

If you want to list your conference please email ltaylor at ucla.edu

@#@#@#
"Every great advance in science has issued from a new audacity of imagination."
                                                 John Dewey
                                                         @#@#@#

**CALLS FOR GRANT PROPOSALS, PRESENTATIONS, & PAPERS

 >GRANTS
See the electronic storefront for federal grants at http://www.grants.gov
You can use it to double check due dates and access applications.

Current examples:
 >>U. S. Department of Education (http://www.ed.gov)
 >>>Training & Information for Parents of Children with Disabilities –
Community Parent Resource Centers (CFDA# 84.328C) Due 1/3/06

2/24/06   http://www.ncjrs.org/pdffiles1/nij/sl000732.pdf

 >>Center for Disease Control and Prevention
 >>>National Programs to Build the Capacity for Societal Institutions that
Influence Youth Behavior (CDC-RFA-DP06-601) Due 1/9/06

 >>Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
(http://www.samhsa.gov)
 >>>Knowledge Dissemination Conference Grants (PA-06-001) Due 1/31 and 10/31

 >For information on the Corporation for National and Community Service
2006 Learn and Service America grant competition technical assistance, call
202-606-7510.  Application instructions are at
http://nslp.convio.net/site/R?i=9q8BawY0N-nRW6Qh_NgcVA
Deadlines for school-based competitive and community-based competitive is
March 7.

 >CALL FOR PAPERS

Child and Adolescent Mental Health conference in Mumbai, India, Oct 5-7.
Deadline for papers February 28. Http://www.iccamh.elsevier.com/

Implementation Science Journal accepting submissions. See
http://www.implementationscience.com/

American Psychological Society conference in NY, NY, May
25-28.  Submissions due January 31.
Http://www.psychologicalscience.org/convention

@#@#@#
"If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it."
                                         Albert Einstein
                                                         @#@#

**UPDATES FROM THE TWO NATIONAL CENTERS FOCUSING ON MENTAL HEALTH IN SCHOOLS

^ ^ ^ Updates from our Center at UCLA

 >National Initiative for New Directions for Student Support

Updates on the initiative, including the report, a list of core advisors,
and plans for next steps from the most recent statewide summit held in
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania , are online at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/summit2002/ndannouncement.htm
 >>Statewide Summits – A statewide Summit was held in Harrisburg, PA,
November 14. The interest in the initiative was reflected in the fact that
the Summit was oversubscribed. The next statewide summit is set for New
Jersey (in Princeton) on January 30, 2006. Again the interest is extensive
and the Summit is certain to be oversubscribed. (The report, a list of core
advisors, and plans for next steps from the most recent statewide summit
held in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania are online at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/summit2002/ndannouncement.htm )

 >>Leadership Institutes – The input we have received makes it clear that
the next phase in states that have held statewide summits is to expand
leadership capacity building and networking. Therefore, in August,
we  began conducting Leadership Institutes for New Directions for Student
Support. The first was in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota; the second was
in September in Dallas, Texas. While the original intent was to work
specifically with teams from schools and education agencies in each state,
we have agreed to open the Leadership Institutes to individuals and teams
from other states who are ready to move in New Directions for Student
Support. We are now determining future interest. Let us know your thoughts
about this. Remember, there is no cost for attendance (other than personal
travel costs).

 >>Legislation – California legislation has been forwarded to the
appropriation committee. See –
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/summit2002/ab171(1-20-05).pdf

 >>Developing Additional Resources to Advance New Directions – The Tool Kit
of resources for the Initiative continues to expand (online and in
hardcopy) http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/toolkit.htm

Recently added:
 >>>"Example of a Formal Proposal for Moving in New Directions" (e.g.,
proposal to a Superintendent, Student Support Director, Principal, Board,
etc. about Integrating a Comprehensive Approach for Addressing Barriers to
Learning into School Improvement Planning)

 >>>"Infrastructure for Learning Supports at District, Regional, and State
Offices"

In general, things are moving along a good clip. As always, we value input
on how to maximize the initiative's impact, including info on upcoming
events where there could be an opportunity to engage decision makers in
exploring New Directions.

 >More Resources
 >>Growing Set of Fact & Info Sheets, Guidance & Practice Notes, and Tools
for Practice –  Go to –  http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/specres.htm#FACTINFO –
to see the growing list of these brief resources –– some of which our
Center has developed; others have direct links to the source material.  All
are designed to provide brief documents to share information to school
staff and families on concerns related to mental health in schools. The
tools can be adapted as staff devise action plans.

For example, see info sheets on:
 >>>The School's Role in Addressing Psychological Reactions to Loss
 >>>Frequently Asked Questions About Mental Health in Schools
 >>>Why Address What's Missing in School Improvement Planning?
 >>>About Positive Psychology

And just posted ––
 >>>Some Base Line Data on School Mental Health Services –– a quick summary
of findings from the just released SAMHSA survey.

All the documents can be downloaded in pdf format.

 >For access to the latest resources we have developed for the field, go to:
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/JustPutOnline.htm  or
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/otherresources.htm Brief Online Resources
or simply go to the complete list of resources by going to the homepage
(http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu ) and clicking on Center Materials.

 >School Intervention Interest Group (SCRA) hosted website
We are pleased to host on our website a mini-web for this special interest
group of the Society of Community Research and Action (Division 27 of the
American Psychological Association).  Go to http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu,
click on Contents, and scroll down to Center hosted sites to access
information, publications, and job opportunities and to join their listserv.
For more information on the UCLA Center for Mental Health in Schools, go to
the website at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu or contact:

Howard Adelman and Linda Taylor, Co-Directors
School Mental Health Project/
Center for Mental Health in Schools
UCLA Department of Psychology
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1563
Phone (310) 825-3634; Toll Free (866) 846-4842; Fax (310) 206-8716
Email: smhp at ucla.edu

^ ^ ^ For information about our sister center, the Center for School Mental
Health Analysis and Action, see http://csmha.umaryland.edu.  Or contact
Mark Weist, Director, CSMHA, University of Maryland at Baltimore,
Department of Psychiatry, 737 W. Lombard St., 4th Floor, Baltimore, MD,
21201.  Toll Free phone: 888-706-0980.  Email csmh at umpsy.umaryland.edu

@#@#@#
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
                                         Yogi Berra
                                                 @#@#

**OTHER HELPFUL RESOURCES

 >No turning back: promising approaches to reducing racial and ethnic
disparities affecting youth of color in the justice
system.  Http://www.buildingblocksforyouth.org/noturningback/ntb_fullreport.pdf

afterschool programs  http://www.ccsso.org/content/PDFs/UsingNCLBFunds.pdf

Services.  Http://www.ed.gov/policy/speced/guid/idea/idea2004.html

overidentification  http://www.ed.gov/policy/speced/guid/idea/idea2004.html

 >A Health Profile of Adolescent and Young Adult Males: 2005 Brief from the
National Adolescent Health Information Center (NAHIC)
http://nahic.ucsf.edu/index.php/data/article/a_health_profile_of_adolescent_and_young_adult_males_2005/

 >State fact sheets for grandparents and other relatives raising
children
http://www.aarp.org/research/family/grandparenting/aresearch-import-488.html

 >Gangs: The new family   http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/family/g1294.htm

 >Asperger's disorder homepage  http://www.aspergers.com

 >Guide to Community Preventive Services   http://www.thecommunityguide.org/

 >A national plan of implementation
research
http://nirn.fmhi.usf.edu/resources/publications/SAMHSAreport05/SAMHSAreport6.pdf

trade  http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/streetterms/

adolescents  http://www.aboutourkids.org/aboutour/letter/janfeb00.pdf

reform  http://www.rethinkingschools.org/archive/19_04/name194.shtml

Youth  http://www.helpingamericasyouth.org/

trauma  http://www.gih.org/usr_doc/GIH_IssueBrief23pdf.pdf

challenges. Summarized at   http://www.rtc.pdx.edu/pgDataTrends.shtml

 >Knowledge Path: Autism spectrum
disorders  http://www.mchlibrary.info/knowledgepaths/kp_autism.html

Note: for a wide range of relevant websites, see our Gateway to a World of
Resources at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

################

**TRAINING AND JOB OPPORTUNITIES

<Project Coordinator>
Center for Promoting Research to Practice, College of Education, Lehigh
University. Contact Ed. Shapiro at ed.shapiro at lehigh.edu

<President/CEO>
National Mental Health Association, Alexandria, VA.  Deadline
12/23/05.  Contact Cynthia Wainscott at cwainscott at nmha.org

<Director>
Institute for Families in Society, University of South Carolina, Columbia,
SC.  See http://www.ifs.sc.edu

<Research/Evaluation>
Senior Research and Evaluation Analyst, The Children's Trust, Miami-Dade
County, FL.  See http://www.thechildrenstrust.org

<Postdoctoral Fellowships>
Center for Human Potential and Public Policy, University of
Chicago.  Deadline 2/1/06.  Contact Post-doctoral search, CHPPP, University
of Chicago, 1155 E. 60th St., Chicago., IL 60637.

<Postdoctoral Fellowship>
The Family Research Consortium. Involves 11 universities.  See
http://www.semel.ucla.edu/frc4/

<Editor-Elect>
Journal of School Psychology.  Deadline 3/15/06.  Contact Pat Harrison at
pharriso at bamaed.ua.edu

<Faculty>
Department of Counseling Psychology, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Deadline 1/6/06.  See http://www.education.wisc.edu/cp/

For more information on employment opportunities, see
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/job.htm
following the list of current openings, you will see links to HRSA, SAMHSA,
and other relevant job sites.

@#@#@#
"The more you think, the more time you have."
         Henry Ford
         #@#@##

**COMMENTS/REQUESTS/INFO/QUESTIONS FROM THE FIELD

(1)"We would like to inform you of the ‘Green paper: improving the mental
health of the population: Towards a strategy on mental health for the
European Union'" (10/14/05 adoption)
http://europa.eu.int/comm/health/ph_determinants/life_style/mental/green_paper/consultation_en.htm

(2) "We just published ‘Helping Traumatized Children Learn.' The
publication is the produce of the Trauma and Learning Policy Initiative, a
partnership of Massachusetts Advocates for Children and the Hale and Dorr
Legal Services Center of Harvard Law School."  For information see
http://www.massadvocates.org/helping_traumatized_children_learn

the Tide
"As a school psychologist this topic hits close to home. Schools seem
uninterested in working through interventions to produce changes. As a
result students are pushed into the case study option without the benefit
of intervention within the regular education program. We are struggling to
address this issue at this time with little or no success."

(4) Reply to last month's emerging issue:  Are your concerns included in
school improvement planning?
"My experience has been that there has only been lip service to including
learning support services in school improvement planning, at least in our
district. Money, of course, is the major obstacle as both teaching staff
and parents want all monies to go into classroom and academic areas.I would
like to see more emphasis on providing teachers with skills to respond to
students who are disrupting their classrooms and/or who are not performing
academically. From my experience in talking with students in teacher
training programs, little is done to provide them skills to deal with
student behavior-related problems.

Of course, a major problem is that teachers get very little supervision.
They are provided no support to address specific issues they are having
with students. Monies should be provided to have school-based training in
such issues as the deviant student, the disruptive student, the bored
student, the always-late student, etc. In fact, if I were a superintendent,
I would require that at least all new teachers be required to attend such
weekly training for which they would be paid to attend. The other
components would be to have weekly visits to the classroom by the person
doing the training as well as support groups where teachers could discuss
the issues they are facing with students. Probably more than any other
professional, teachers' personalities can determine how well they succeed
in the classroom.

I would also require schools with new teachers to train the teachers in
making assessments about students' behavior, e.g. what to look for, when to
refer, possible personal interventions prior to referral, etc. It has been
my experience that a majority of counselors are focused on paperwork
related to their caseloads. School improvement plans should include steps
to less paperwork and make counselors more available to respond to
students' emotional and social needs which can be major barriers to learning."

THIS IS THE END OF THIS ISSUE OF ENEWS

See below for source identifying information:

Who Are We?

Under the auspices of the School Mental Health Project in the Department of
Psychology at UCLA we established a Center for Mental Health in Schools
in1995. The Project and Center are co-directed by Howard Adelman and Linda
Taylor. The UCLA Center is one of two national centers first funded in
October,1995, by the Office of Adolescent Health, Maternal and Child Health
Bureau(Title V, Social Security Act), Health Resources and Services
Administration (Project #U45MC00175). In open competition, both Centers
were refunded in 2000 and 2005 for 5 year cycles with Substance Abuse and
Mental Health Services Administration's Center for Mental Health Services
joining HRSA as a co-funder. As sister Centers, the Center at UCLA and the
one at the University of Maryland focus on advancing efforts to enhance how
schools address mental health and psychosocial concerns.

A description and evaluation of the Center's work and impact is available at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

For more information about the Center or about ENEWS, contact Center
Coordinator Perry Nelson or Center Co-Directors Howard Adelman and Linda
Taylor at:
UCLA School Mental Health Project/Center for Mental Health in Schools
Box 951563, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1563
Phone (310) 825-3634; Toll Free (866) 846-4843; Fax (310) 206-8716
email:
smhp at ucla.edu