[mentalhealth-l] ENEWS: November, 2005 (vol. 10 #2)

mentalhealth-l at lists.ucla.edu mentalhealth-l at lists.ucla.edu
Tue Nov 1 09:02:05 PST 2005

ENEWS: A Monthly Forum for Sharing and Interchange

November, 2005 (vol. 10 #2)

Source: UCLA School Mental Health Project/
         Center for Mental Health in Schools

ENEWS is one of the many resources our Center offers to those concerned
with enhancing policies, programs, and practices related to addressing
barriers to student learning and to promoting mental health in
schools.  For more on what our federally supported Center can provide, see
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

<><><><><>
Feel Free to Forward this to Anyone
<><><><><><><>

WHAT'S HERE THIS MONTH

**Emerging Issue
         >Are Your Concerns Included in School Improvement Planning?

**This Month's Focus for Schools to Address Barriers to Learning
         >November – Responding to Referrals in Ways that Can "Stem the Tide"

**Disaster Aftermath Information & Sharing

**Recent Publications relevant to
         >Children's Mental and Physical Health
         >Family, School & Community
         >Policy, Systems, Law, Ethics, Finances & Statistics

**Upcoming Initiatives, Conferences & Workshops

**Calls for Grant Proposals, Presentations & Papers

**Updates for the two National Centers focusing on Mental Health in Schools

**Other Helpful Resources

**Training & Job Opportunities (including fellowships and scholarships)

**Comments/Requests/Information/Questions from the field

<><><><><>
To post messages to ENEWS, E-mail them to ltaylor at ucla.edu

To subscribe/unsubscribe to ENEWS, go to:
and follow the directions to sign up.  Alternatively, you can send an email
request to smhp at ucla.edu asking to be added to the ENEWS listserv.

<><><><><><>
**EMERGING ISSUE
                 >Are Your Concerns Included in School Improvement Planning?

School improvement plans are increasingly shaping strategic changes at
schools and districts. As the National Initiative: New Directions for
Student Support has progressed, we have heard growing concern about the
limited nature and scope of school improvement planning.

Current plans usually address core academic subjects and the strategies
used to teach them, professional development, technical assistance, parent
involvement, and measurable goals. They tend not to include much on the
topic of addressing barriers to learning and teaching.

Those who are satisfied with current school improvement planning guides
argue that they already cover the key facets of efforts "to improve the
quality of teaching and learning in the school, so that greater numbers of
students achieve proficiency in the core academic subjects of reading and
math."

Those who argue for expanding school improvement guides indicate that,
especially in schools designated as in need of improvement, schools must
plan on how to develop comprehensive systems of learning supports if all
students are to have equal opportunity to succeed at school. Those
concerned about new directions for student support argue that school
improvement planning should rethink use of all staff who can provide
necessary supports for students. They want school improvement plans to
clarify that such staff are expected to lead the way in enhancing how
classroom and school-wide programs address barriers to learning and
teaching – including the development of systems for prevention and
responding as early after problem onset as is feasible.

What's your position on this? Send your comments to ltaylor at ucla.edu and we
will integrate and share them in next month's ENEWS.

For more on this issue, see the following Center Policy Reports
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsmissing.htm

 >Addressing What's Missing in School Improvement Planning: Expanding
Standards and Accountability to Encompass an Enabling or Learning Supports
Component
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/enabling/standards.pdf

@#@#@#@#
"The one million students who drop out of high school each year cost our
nation more than $260 billion in lost wages, lost taxes, lost productivity
over their lifetime... So I would suggest, for this and a host of other
reasons, how well our students are doing is not just an education issue;
it's an economic issue, a civic issue, a national security issue, and it's
everybody's issue."
                 Margaret Spellings
                 @#@#@##

**NEWS FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY

*BROOKLYN HIGH SCHOOL ACCUSED OF FORCING STUDENTS OUT
"The suite charges many struggling students are essentially warehoused in
the school auditorium, where they fill out worksheets for three hours a day
and attend no classes. As a result, they fail to earn course credits needed
for promotion, and then are told they can no longer attend the school. By
pushing out students who are failing and unlikely to graduate, as well as
truants and students with behavior problems, school can raise their
test-score averages and graduation rates while reducing suspensions and
dropout rates....the former principal complained that large schools were
being forced to take all of the city's special education students and
students with behavior problems while the small schools were not admitting
these students."  10/12/05 The New York Times

*MENTAL HEALTH TRANSFORMATION STATE INCENTIVE GRANTS
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration announced
award to seven states over five years for Mental Health Transformation
State Incentive Grants. The states that receive the awards will serve as
platforms for learning about what strategies and activities do and do not
work in transforming the states' mental health and related systems.
9/28/05. SAMHSA News Release

*HAVING A TEACHER WHO CARES REDUCES PROBLEMS
Having a teacher who students perceive cares is associated with lower rates
of drug and sexual risk behaviors among high risk youth, according to a new
study headed by a University of Chicago researcher."Adolescents who
reported low teacher connectedness were two times more likely to use
marijuana and amphetamines, and two times more likely to be sexually
active, have sex while high on alcohol or drugs, have a partner who was
high on alcohol or other drugs during sex, and have multiple sexual
partners," says Dexter Voisin, Assistant Professor in the University''s
School of Social Service Administration. Although other studies have found
that behavior improves when schools show concern for students, the new
report is the first to show a significant association between teacher
connectedness and anti-social behavior among delinquent teens. The findings
were reported in an article "Teacher Connectedness and Health-Related
Outcomes among Detained Adolescents," in the current issue of the Journal
of Adolescent
Health.  http://www-news.uchicago.edu/releases/05/051018.voisin.shtml

*OPPOSITION TO MENTAL HEALTH SCREENING IN SCHOOLS
"Back in 2003, a federal commission created by President Bush recommended
improving and expanding mental health programs in schools to provide help
as early as possible to students with learning problems or those who might
turn violent or disruptive. The commission highlighted one means of early
diagnosis, the Columbia University "TeenScreen" program, that allows
students -- with parental permission -- to get a mental health "check-up"
via a computer-based questionnaire before graduating from high school.  The
commission's 86-page report included this suggestion among a long list of
recommendations to improve the U.S. mental health system. ... over the past
two years, a cottage industry of fiery opposition has grown up around the
proposal to expand mental health programs in the schools and has become a
popular rallying cry for conservatives who see it as unwarranted government
intervention in family life. The debate over school screenings is just part
of a larger discussion over the role schools should play in ensuring
children's mental heath. Many educators point to a clear connection between
mental health and academic achievement. ..." 9//18/05 Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

*FIRST WHITE HOUSE CONFERENCE ON HELPING AMERICA'S YOUTH
On October 27, 2005, Mrs. Bush convened, "Making a Difference for America's
Youth,"  the first-ever White House Conference on Helping America's Youth.
The focus was on promoting public awareness of the various problems facing
at-risk youth. It brought together policymakers, research experts,
foundations, faith-based and volunteer organizations, educators, coaches,
and parents to share examples of what is "already working to make a
difference in the lives of young Americans, and to generate new ideas that
can be used across the country."
http://www.whitehouse.gov/firstlady/helping-youth.html

*OVERHEAD EATS UP FEDERAL TUTOR FUNDS
Private tutoring firms are spending only 56 cents of every taxpayer dollar,
on average, to tutor children...The rest of the money pays for everything
from executive and consulting staff, leases and maintenance to
distributions to shareholders, according to new data–the first disclosure
nationwide of how private companies are spending tax dollars for federally
mandated tutoring." 9/26/05.  Chicago Tribune

*FEDERAL EDUCATION LAW SHOWS MIXED RESULTS IN FIRST TEST
"The first nationwide test to permit an appraisal of President Bush's
signature education law rendered mixed results, with even some supporters
of the law expressing disappointment. Math scores were up slightly but
eighth-grade reading showed a decline, and there was only modest progress
toward closing the achievement gap between white and minority students,
which is one of the Bush administration's primary goals. In many
categories, reports Sam Dillon, the gap remains as wide as it was in the
early 1990's. By some measures, students were making greater gains before
the law was put into effect. "The rate of improvement was faster before the
law," Jack Jennings said. "There's a question as to whether No Child is
slowing down our progress nationwide." Gage Kingsbury, of the Northwest
Educational Evaluation Association, a nonprofit that carries out testing in
1,500 school districts, said the results raised new concerns about the
feasibility of reaching the law's goal of full proficiency for all students
by 2014." 10/20 The New York Times

*STATE GAINS NOT ECHOED IN FEDERAL TESTING
In Maryland and Virginia public schools, statewide exams are a cause for
perpetual celebration. Scores go up almost every year in virtually every
grade level and subject tested. On the Maryland School Assessment this
year, scores rose in all 24 school systems. But according to the National
Assessment of Educational Progress, Maryland students have improved their
proficiency since 2003 in just one area -- 4th-grade math. Virginia scores
are up, but not by much, and 8th-grade reading performance has stalled. To
critics of the statewide exams, this sharp contrast is further evidence --
along with comparatively flat SAT scores, graduation rates and other
measures -- that public education is not improving in an era of high-stakes
testing. Washington Post

*NATIONAL STEREOTYPES COMMON, MISTAKEN, STUDY REPORTS
"Simplified stereotypes of "typical" Americans, Brazilians, Chinese, and
other group are common but highly mistaken, according to a National
Institute on Aging study that examined the accuracy of national character
stereotypes in 49 cultures worldwide. The finding has important
implications regarding beliefs that characterize groups of people..."
10/6/05 NIH News Release

*RESEARCHERS SAY FULL-DAY KINDERGARTEN PRODUCES LEARNING GAINS
"A new national study provides some of the strongest evidence to date to
support what many educators and parents of young children already believe:
Children learn more in full-day kindergarten programs than they do in
half-day programs. The findings, scheduled to be published in the February
issue of the American Journal of Education, show that, on average, the
learning gains that pupils make in full-day programs translate to about a
month of additional schooling over the course of a school year. Nationwide,
half of all kindergartners now attend full-day programs, either public or
private. But such programs tend to be more common in certain parts of the
country, such as the South and the Midwest, and in private schools."
Education Week

*FIGHTING GANGS: WHAT DOESN'T WORK
"After spending $13.3 million and 10 years on demonstration projects in
five cities, OJJDP found that almost nothing had a significant impact on
gangs. But there were plenty of lessons, some of which are being applied to
new gang efforts. The evaluations gave OJJDP insight into at least three
key components for success: the efficacy of lead agencies, the use of
outreach youth workers and the importance of alternative opportunities for
gang members." http://www.youthtoday.org/youthtoday/oct05/researchspot.html

@#@#@#
"When you are 21 years old and you step into a classroom, nothing else is
really scary after that."
                 Sarah Fain
                 @@#@#

Each week the Center highlights a newsworthy story online at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/newsitems.htm

also, access other news stories relevant to mental health in schools
through links at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/whatsnew/linkstolatest.htm

###########
*Monthly Focus for Schools to Address Barriers to Learning

 >>November: Responding to Referrals in Ways that Can "Stem the Tide"
In the first months of the school year, supportive schools have taken steps
to welcome and provide social supports to ensure that students have made a
good adjustment to school and to address initial adjustment problems as
they arise. Now come the referrals for students who are manifesting
behavior, learning and emotional problems. These referrals can prompt
school support staff to work with teachers to enhance what takes place in
the classroom and throughout the school and address problems as soon as
they arise.

By only improving the referral process schools often create the "field of
dreams effect" – Build it and they will come! A key for the school team
that processes referrals is not only to determine the best course of action
for helping the students, but to analyze common problems and promote
changes in order to minimize the need for similar referrals in the future.

In many instances an analysis will show that what looks like a student's
problem is really a system problem. One place to start is with staff
development to improve understanding of the motivational bases for many
behavior, learning and emotional problems and what to do about them. It
helps to work with the fundamental concepts of intrinsic motivation:
Enhancing feelings of self-determination, competency, and connectedness to
others.

For more information on addressing motivational concerns, go to the Quick
Find online clearinghouse topic
 >>"Motivation" at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/qf/motiv.htm – There you will
see links to a range of online materials including the Center's Quick
Training Aid on Re-engaging Students in Learning. This is designed as a
staff development tool including handouts and overheads.

For more on improving referrals and case management, see the Quick Find on
 >>Case/Care Management at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/qf/casemanagment.htm
– There you will link to resources such as the Center's
 >Case Management in the School Context
 >School-based client consultation, referral, and management of care

@#@#@#
Teachers Lament: "Referring students for help is no problem at our
school.  We refer...and refer...and refer...by November is unlikely that
there are any available services left and the referral list is so long the
team is unlikely to get to them all by the end of the school year."

In anticipating and planning for the rhythm of the school year, see "Ideas
for enhancing support at school this month" on the Center website homepage
at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

If you have specific concerns about how schools address barriers to
learning and promote mental health, let us hear from you.  Email
ltaylor at ucla.edu

#############

**DISASTER AFTERMATH INFORMATION & SHARING

 >>>FROM FORMAL NEWS SOURCES

*Hurricane Victims with Disabilities Receive Assistance Through Department
of Education
President Bush signed into law on September 30 the Assistance for
Individuals with Disabilities Affected by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita Act
of 2005, granting the U. S. Education Department to fund Gulf Coast states
for vocational rehabilitation services without matching state funds. The
services may include education, training, assistive technology or various
supports necessary for employment of individuals with disabilities affected
by the hurricanes. 10/3/05.  U. S. Department of Ed Press Releases

*Thousands of Displaced Students Not Attending School
"At least 20,000 public school student uprooted by Hurricane Katrina are
not attending any school, state Superintendent of Education Cecil Picard
said. ...He said the effect of students leaving school because of
hurricane-related problems is devastating. 186,565 public school students
were displaced." 10/14/05 Baton Rouge Advocate
http://2theadvocate.com/stories/101405/new_students001.shtml

*Separate but Equal? Schooling of Evacuees Provokes Debate
"At the center of the dispute is whether the McKinney-Vento Act, a landmark
federal law banning educational segregation of homeless children, should
apply to the evacuees.  In Addition, because many of the stranded students
are black, holding classes for them at military bases, convention centers
or other emergency housing sites could run afoul of racial

*Charter School Proposal as a Disaster Response Halted
"An Orleans Parish Civil Court judge has ordered the School Board to stop
its plans to charter public schools...The judge said "It is in this time of
crisis, when the citizens of Orleans Parish are concerns about the very
future of their communities, that the role of public input is crucial. The
people of New Orleans are entitled to participate in the process that will
potentially change the landscape of their public education system."
10/16/05. The Times-Picayune
  desegregation plans still operating in some school districts." 9/14/05
The Wall Street Journal

*Student Vouchers
"Legislation that would provide vouchers for students displaced by
Hurricane Katrina was introduced by House Republicans. The vouchers,
proposed by President Bush, could cover up to $6,700 per child for one year
in a public or private school. Reg Weaver, president of the National
Education Association, said it may be appropriate to provide some
assistance to private schools with displaced students, but it should be
through a much more modest existing federal program that lets public school
districts get federal aid to assist private school students with
transportation, books, uniforms and even some teacher costs. But
Republicans say it is only fair to reimburse both public schools and
private schools that are taking in students who otherwise might not be able
to attend school for the entire 2005-06 school year." New Orleans
Times-Picayune

 >>>TALK ABOUT RESILIENCE!

*Mississippi – Statement sent to the schools by State Superintendent Hank
Bounds" "It has been six weeks since Hurricane Katrina devastated our state
and we have spent that time working tirelessly to reopen the schoolhouse
doors for all students. I am so pleased to announce that, with two
districts opening this week, we have only one remaining district left. The
Bay St. Louis-Waveland School District is slated to open November 1. This
signals that we are now entering Phase II of the rebuilding process. During
this phase, we will concentrate on providing students the services,
particularly counseling, that they need to cope with everything that has
happened to them and continue to have a sense of optimism and hope for the
future. ... One issue that must be addressed now that schools have resumed
operation is how to make up the instructional time that was lost due to the
storm. State law requires that schools provide 180 days of instruction for
their students. However, when natural disasters occur, they can petition
the Mississippi Board of Education for forgiveness of days missed. Due to
the unprecedented widespread nature of the closures, the State Board felt
it would be in the best interest of the schools and students to establish
guidelines for districts to use in developing their individual plans for
making up the days missed due to the storm. Understanding the difficulty of
their circumstances and the financial hardship making up all the missed
days would create, the State Board passed a measure to require all
districts to provide 130 hours of instructional time for the completion of
a Carnegie unit and 65 hours to complete half-units. Kindergarten through
eighth grade will meet a minimum of 5.5 hours of instructional time per
day, will meet the same number of instructional days as the high school and
will ensure mastery of content. The State Board used the Southern
Association of Colleges and Schools guidelines of 130 hours of instruction
per Carnegie unit to arrive at this number. While Mississippi usually
requires 140 hours, many of our surrounding states require less than 130.
Using these guidelines, districts will develop a plan that fits their
particular circumstances and submit it to the Mississippi Department of
Education by November 15. The State Board will use a school district's plan
on making up instructional time for missed days as a factor to consider
when determining whether to hold a district harmless on accountability
standards."

*Louisiana – Letter from New Orleans Acting Superintendent, Dr. Ora Watson
to Parents, Employees and Residents of New Orleans – "We are making
significant progress in our mission to reopen schools. Last week, the
School Board approved the reopening of up to eight schools on the West
Bank. These schools, to be reopened in November, will serve the entire city
and accommodate students from any community. We're currently working on
transportation plans and will have more to report on that at a later date.
I believe that anyone who visits these schools will find the experience
uplifting. National Guardsmen and volunteers from around the country are
cutting grass, cleaning floors, painting walls and making the buildings
shine. Of course, there was damage to roofs, windows and other parts of
these buildings, but we are confident that through our ongoing efforts,
these schools will be in great shape for the November opening. ...
We will open schools depending on the number of students who say they're
coming back. So far, nearly 3,000 parents have contacted us to let us know
their children intend to return to school in November. We have ample
capacity beyond that .... Our goal is to get these schools open so that all
those people who want to come back to New Orleans can know that there will
be schools for their children."

*Parishes across the state are opening their schools. Some of the reopening
issues reported are:
 >United States Department of Public Health must inspect every room in
every school before it can reopen
 >Cafeterias must be certified by USDPH before they can receive food
 >Diesel fuel needed for buses (And, one parish had to issue the following
plea: "Due to the evacuation of Plaquemines residents during Hurricane
Katrina, many Plaquemines Parish school buses have been displaced
throughout the state. If anyone sees a Plaquemines Parish school bus
outside Plaquemines Parish, please call the Transportation Dept.")
 >Mold problems continue across school district
 >Nationally certified mold/mildew inspectors hired to test all facilities
 >Rescheduling of sports' events (and because sports are so important to
students and the communities, the problems with the facilities of great
concern, e.g., football stadiums that can't be used until structural
engineers have certified them to be safe).

A November special session of the legislature has been proposed to address
specific concerns related to the schools.

 >>>From a Colleague Working in School Health Care Centers in Baton Rouge
Our major issues have been:
1. As there was no previously set up collaborative working group in
children's mental health in schools, though all collaborators are aware of
each other, we needed to do that.
2. The school system was stressed before the hurricanes and has no new
resources yet - though some are promised. Also, the school health systems
were stressed as an organization and personally as providers, many of whom
were and are housing people in their homes.
3. There was also no infrastructure for sending volunteer professionals
into the schools - and many people requesting to do that - so that process
was needed.
4. Although there are wonderful curricula out there for small groups, all
of the above needed to be done before these were put in place.
5. The ideal, reliable, easily administered assessment tool does not appear
to exist. So we have been using a modified version of one from the Dallas
ISD and also modifying one from the NCTS network.

 >>>The Center is continuing to gather and share information and resources
relevant to the aftermath of the disasters. If you would like to review
what has already been circulated, go to  http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu and
click on Crisis/Hurricane. If you have something to share, please email
ltaylor at ucla.edu

**RECENT PUBLICATIONS (IN PRINT AND ON THE WEB)

*Children's Mental and Physical Health

 >Proposed Medicaid Cuts Further Damage the Health of Children in Foster
Care (2005). D. Rubin, N. Halfon, R. Raghavan, & S. Rosenbaum.The report
and fact sheet, Medicaid Facts, are available at:
http://www.healthychild.ucla.edu/CaseyReport.asp

 >Relationships between peer harassment and adolescent problem behaviors
(2005) J. Rusby, et al, Journal of Early Adolescence, 25(4)
453-477.  Http://jea.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/25/4/453?etoc

 >Emergency treatment of young people following deliberate self-harm (2005)
M. Olfson, et al, Archives of General Psychiatry, 62:1122-1128.
Http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/62/10/1122?etoc

 >Katrina's impact on mental health likely to last years (2005) R. Voelker,
Journal of the American Medical Association, 294:1599-1600.
  Http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/extract/294/13/1599?etoc

 >American Psychologist, September, 2005, Vol 60, Number 6:
 >>Children's mental health as a primary care and concern: a system for
comprehensive support and service, P. Tolan & K. Dodge (601-614)
 >>Transforming mental health care for children and their families, L.
Huang, et al (615-627) Summarized at
http://datatrends.fmhi.usf.edu/summary_120.pdf
 >>Promoting and protecting youth mental health through evidence-based
prevention and treatment, J. Weisz, et al, (628-648)

 >Adolescent girls with high body satisfactions: who are they and what can
they teach us? (2005) A. Kelly, et al, Journal of Adolescent Health, 37 (5)
391-396. Http://www.sciencedirect.com

 >Posttraumatic Stress Disorders in Children and Adolescents: Handbook
(2004). By R. Silva (Ed.) London: W. W. Norton.

 >Impulsivity in depressed children and adolescents: A comparison between
behavioral and neuropsychological data (2005) M. Cataldo, et al, Psychiatry
Research, 136 (2-3) 123-133. Http://www.sciencedirect.com

 >Case Formulation in psychotherapy: Revitalizing its usefulness as a
clinical tool (2005) K. Sim, et al. Academic Psychiatry, 29:289-292.
Http://ap.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/29/3/289?etoc

 >Challenges and opportunities of group therapy for adolescent substance
abuse: A critical review (2005) Y. Kaminer, Addictive Behaviors, 30 (9)
1765-1774.  Http://www.sciencedirect.com

 >Clinical predictors of treatment in a population of adolescents with
alcohol use disorders (2005)  O. Bukstein, et al, Addictive Behaviors,
30(9) 1663-1673. Http://www.sciencedirect.com

 >Self Esteem/Self Concept Scales for Children and Adolescents: A Review.
By R. Butler, S. Gasson (2005) in Child and Adolescent Mental Health;
Volume 10, Issue 4, Page 190
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1475-3588.2005.00368.x

*Family, School & Community

 >Mental health in schools: An opportunity to influence change in a period
of transition.  In our Center's Fall 2005 newsletter.
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/Newsletter/fall05.pdf

 >"Community Guide to Helping America's Youth: An Assessment Tool for Youth
Outreach" introduced at the White House Conference on Helping America's
Youth. "The guide is designed to help communities identify the challenges
they face and give them specific steps to improve the lives of boys and
girls in their communities."
http://www.whitehouse.gov/firstlady/helping-youth.html

 >Work, postsecondary education, and psychosocial functioning following the
transition from high school (2005) R. Aseltine & S. Gore, Journal of
Adolescent Research, 20(6)
615-639.  Http://jar.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/20/6/615?etoc

 >Parents' perceptions of changes in mother-child and father-child
relationships during adolescence (2005) C. Shearer, et al, Journal of
Adolescent Research, 20(6) 662-684
http://jar.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/20/6/662?etoc

 >Collaboration strategies for reforming systems of care: A toolkit for
community-based action (2005) L. Donaldson,  Journal of Mental Health, 34
(1) 90-102.  Http://www.metapress.com

 >Risk factors for community violence exposure in adolescence (2005) S.
Lambert, et al, American Journal of Community Psychology, 36 (1) 29-48.

 >School climate predictors of school disorder: results from a national
study of delinquency prevention in schools (2005) G. Gottfredson et al,
Journal of Research in Crime and
Delinquency  http://jrc.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/42/4/412?etoc

 >Fragmented care for inner-city minority children with
attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (2005) J. Guevara, et al,
Pediatrics, 116 (4) e512-517
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/116/4/e512?etoc

 >Validation of the risk and resiliency assessment tool for juveniles in
the Los Angeles County probation system (2005) S. Turner, et al,
Rand.  Http://www.rand.org/publications/TR/TR291/

Journal, October, 2005  http://www.asbj.com/current/research.html

 >Facilitating youth self-change through school-based intervention (2005)
S. Brown, et al, Addictive Behaviors, 30(9) 1797-1810.
Http://www.sciencedirect.com

 >Reviewed online by Data Trends:
 >>The stigmatization of mental illness in children and parents:
Developmental issues, family concerns and research needs. Journal of Child
Psychology & Psychiatry, 46(7), 714-734. By S.P. Hinshaw,
(2005).  http://www.rtc.pdx.edu/pgDataTrends.shtml

 >> "Unchartered Waters": The experience of parents of young people with
mental health problems. Qualitative Health Research, 15(2), 207-223. By J.
Harden (2005).

*Policy, Systems, Law, Ethics, Finances & Statistics

 >Cities, counties, kids, and families: The essential role of local
government (2005). By Sidney Gardner. (University Press of America).

 >Using NCLB funds to support extended learning time (2005). The Finance
Project and CCSSO.
http://www.financeproject.org/publications/usingnclbfunds.pdf

 >European Commission Green paper, "Promoting the Mental Health of the
Population. Towards a Strategy on Mental health for the European Union"
(2005).
http://europa.eu.int/comm/health/ph_determinants/life_style/mental/green_paper/consultation_en.htm

 >Intellectual, academic, and behavioral functioning of students with
high-incidence disabilities: a cross-categorical meta-analysis (2005) E.
Sabornie, et al, Exceptional Children, 72(1) 47-63

 >Effects of kindergarten retention policy on children's cognitive growth
in reading and mathematics (2005) G. Hong & S. Raudenbush, Educational
Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 27(3) 205-224.

 >A profile of the American high school senior in 2004 (2005) National
Center for Education
Statistics.  Http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=2006348

 >Mental health needs and services for youth in the foster care and
juvenile justice systems (2005)  A. Dienst & L. Foster,
http://www.library.ca.gov/crb/05/notes/v12n1.pdf

 >Freeze Frame: A Snapshot of America's Teens (2005) National Campaign to
Prevention Teen Pregnancy in conjunction with Child Trends.
Http://www.teenpregnancy.org/works/pdf/FreezeFrame.pdf

 >Who's left behind? Immigrant children in high and low LEP schools (2005)
C. Consentino de Cohen, et al, Urban Institute.
Http://www.urban.org/url.cfm?ID=411231

Note: The Quick Find Online Clearinghouse at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu is
updated regularly with new reports and publications such as those listed
above.  Currently there are over 100 alphabetized topic pages with direct
links to Center materials and to other online resources and related
centers.  Let us know about publications and reports that should be
included in this dedicated online clearinghouse.  Ltaylor at ucla.edu

@#@#@#
"All generalizations are false!"
         @#@#@#

9, New York, NY.  Http://www.alliance1.org

FL.  Http://www.pcit.org

 >Social Skills Interventions for Children and Adolescents with Autism
Spectrum Disorders, Mood Disorders, ADHD, and Learning Disabilities,
February 10, Tyngsboro, MA. Http://www.communityprograminnovations.com

KY  http://www.naaconference.org

DC  http://www.cwla.org/conferences

Resistance. March 16, Tyngsboro, MA. Http://www.communityprograminnovations.com

Http://www.nylc.org

Http://www.familysupportamerica.org

 >American School Counselor Association, Chicago, IL, June 24-27.
Http://www.schoolcounselor.org

*For more conference announcements, refer to our website conference section
at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/upconf.htm

If you want to list your conference, please email ltaylor at ucla.edu

@#@#@#
"Thanks to television, for the first time the young are seeing history made
before it is censored by their elders."
         Margaret Mead

"Until lions have their historians, all tales of hunting will glorify the
hunter.
                                                                 African
Proverb
         @#@#@#

**CALLS FOR GRANT PROPOSALS, PRESENTATIONS, & PAPERS

 >Grants
See the electronic storefront for federal grants at http://www.grants.gov
You can use it to double check due dates and access applications.

Current examples:

http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-AA-06-003.html

 >>National Institute of Mental Health
 >>>Interdisciplinary Behavioral Science Centers for Mental Health.  Letter
of intent due
1/18/05.  Http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PAR-04-004.html

 >Call for Papers
The California Center for Community-School Partnerships will be conducting
an on-line Research & Evaluation Symposium between now and May 9, 2003.
They are requesting proposals to offer papers for an on-line Compendium of
Research and Evaluation Resources on School-Linked Services, Community
Schools  and Learning Supports in public schools.

The Compendium will be available on-line through the CCC-SP web site at the
University of California, Davis in Fall, 2003. The National Call for Papers
is available now on our web site: http://ccc-sp.ucdavis.edu/papers/proposal/

@#@#@#@#
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on
the unthinking."
         John Maynard Keynes
         @#@#@

**UPDATES FROM THE TWO NATIONAL CENTERS FOCUSING ON MENTAL HEALTH IN SCHOOLS

^   ^   ^ Updates from our Center at UCLA

In the mail:
Quarterly hardcopy newsletter: Feature policy article is: "Mental health in
schools: An opportunity to influence change in a period of transition."
Focus on practice includes "About Positive Psychology" and "Addressing
School Adjustment Problems." Already online at:
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/Newsletter/fall05.pdf

 >>>New Online:
 >>Center Policy Report: An Initial Look at Texas Policy Related to Mental
Health in
Schools  http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/policymakers/initiallook.pdf

Schools       http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/policymakers/texaspolicy.pdf

 >>Guidance Notes:
 >About Planning and Action for the Mental Health of Students and School
Staff in the     Aftermath of a Natural
Disaster  http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/planningneeds.pdf

http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/loss.pdf

http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/adjustmentproblems.pdf

http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/policyissues/suicide.pdf

 >>>National Initiative: New Directions for Student Support
 >>Statewide summits:
 >November 14 in Harrisburg, PA
 >Plans for NJ Statewide Summit in January

For more information on this initiative,
see:   http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/summit2002/ndannouncement.htm

 >>>We continue to gather information from schools about the adjustment of
students relocated due to the hurricanes. If you would like to tell us
about your work with these students, please email ltaylor at ucla.edu

 >>>If you would like to read about what others are experiencing in their
work with these students, go to our website at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu
and click on Crisis/Hurricane and read the update from 10/12/05.

For more information on the Center, go to the website at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu or contact:

Howard Adelman and Linda Taylor, Co-Directors
School Mental Health Project/
Center for Mental Health in Schools
UCLA Department of Psychology
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1563
Phone (310) 825-3634; Toll Free (866)846-4842; Fax (310) 206-8716
Email: smhp at ucla.edu

^   ^   ^   From the Center for School Mental Health Analysis and Action
         >>For information from our sister center, see
http://csmha.umaryland.edu  Or contact Mark Weist, Director, CSMHA,
University of Maryland at Baltimore, Department of Psychiatry, 737 W.
Lombard St., 4th Floor, Baltimore, MD, 21201.  Toll Free phone:
888-706-0980.  Email csmh at umpsy.umaryland.edu

@#@#
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
         James Thurber
         @#@#

**OTHER HELPFUL RESOURCES

 >Resources on Mental Health Needs and Juvenile Justice Youth – Almost four
pages of links and organizations with information and resources on mental
health and juvenile justice issues. http://www.connectforkids.org/node/2979

 >The Research and Training Center on Family Support and Children's Mental
Health in Portland, Oregon offers its rtcUpdates as email messages
containing information about the RTC's recent research, publications, and
other activities, as well as information about developments in the field of
Children's Mental Health. To subscribe, go to the RTC home page at
http://www.rtc.pdx.edu/ and click on the "Join our List!" link.

http://www.aap.org/healthtopics/behavmenthlth.cfm

Programs  http://oja.state.wi.us/jj/section.asp?linkid=622&locid=80

 >Model Local School Wellness Policies on Physical Activity and Nutrition
to assist local school districts meet the requirements of the Child
Nutrition and WIC Reauthorization Act of 2004.
Http://www.schoolwellnesspolicies.org

Health Policy, http://www.nashp.org

2005  http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/unyin/wyr05.htm

Classroom. Http://www.responsiveclassroom.org

Scholastic  http://www.scholastic.com/headsup

 >Does Segregation Still Matter: The impact of student composition on
academic achievement in high school, R. Rumberger and G. Palardy, Teachers
College Record, September, 2005. Http://www.tcrecord.org

Child Health Library. Http://www.mchlibrary.info/knowledgepaths/kp_race.html

 >Community Engaged Scholarship. Http://depts.washington.edu/ccph/toolkit.html

 >Making a difference: motivating gifted students who are not achieving
(2005) D. Siegle and D. McCoach, Teaching Exceptional Children, 38(1) 22-27.

Note: for a wide range of relevant websites, see our Gateway to a World of
Resources at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

############

**TRAINING AND JOB OPPORTUNITIES

<Director of Programs>
Indiana Youth Institute, nonprofit statewide organization promoting healthy
youth development. Indianapolis, IN, http://www.iyi.org/

<Deputy Director>
Department of Youth Rehabilitation Services, Government of the District of
Columbia, Washington, DC.  Http://www.dyrs.dc.gov

<Faculty>
School Psychology, University of Wisconsin, LaCrosse, WI. Deadline 11/18.
Contact Emily Johnson, Chair, Department of Psychology.

<Predoctoral Internships>
Illinois School Psychology Internship Consortium at
http://www.psychology.ilstu.edu/ispic Positions available in a variety of
settings cross Central and Northern Illinois.

<School Nurse>
Mt. Mansfield Union High School, Jericho, VT. Contact Debra Beretta.
802-899-2008

<School Social Worker>
District U46, Kane County Regional Office of Education. IL.
Http://www.teachinkane.org

<School Counselor>
Houston ISD, TX. See http://www.houstonisd.org

<Director>
Wellesley Centers for Women, Robert S. and Grace W. Stone Primary
Prevention Initiatives – Empowering Children for Life.  Wellesley,
MA.  Contact kscott at wellesley.edu

For more information on employment opportunities, see
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/job.htm
following the list of current openings, you will see links to HSRA, SAMHSA,
and other relevant job sites.

@#@#@#
"Luck is a dividend of sweat.  The more you sweat, the luckier you get."
         Ray Kroc
         @#@#@#

**COMMENTS/REQUESTS/INFO/QUESTIONS FROM THE FIELD
(1) Governor Bob Wise, president of the Alliance for Excellent Education as
reported online –  "Reading is the heart of learning, and the nation is in
the literacy emergency room showing a flat line on the education EKG. The
results, nationally and for each state, clearly demonstrate that we still
are not doing what is needed to help our older students build the reading
skills they will need  to deal with increasingly complex high school
courses. Twenty-nine percent of the country's 8th grade students are
reading significantly below grade level and thee are the kids who are most
likely to drop out of high school or graduate without the skills needed to
succeed in college or the workplace.  Only 29 percent of students are
actually reading at grade level or above. For the most part, we stop
teaching our children how to read when they leave third grade, and expect
that they'll continue to expand vocabulary and comprehension skills on
their own.  That's like a builder laying the foundation of a house and
leaving the buyer to put up the walls and roof without help.  The
investments made in early grades to teach our kids to read are critical,
but we must continue to intervene throughout their school years to assure
that they are maintaining and expanding the literacy skills that are so
necessary for success in life."

(2) Michael Greene, Director, YCS Center for the Prevention of Violence,
East Orange, NJ:
"Thought you might be interested in the attached article:
Reducing Violence and Aggression in Schools, Trauma, Violence & Abuse, Vol.
6, No. 3, July 2005, 236-253.
Excerpt from Abstract: This article offers a framework for understanding
and responding to school-based aggression and violence...multi-level
evaluations of integrated arrays of school-based violence prevention
strategies need to be undertaken..."

(3) Cheryl Steckley, Louisiana Department of Education:
See "Rebuilding Louisiana through Education: Creating & Maintaining
Healthful Psychosocial Environments in the Aftermath of Disasters."
Http://www.louisianaschools.net

Look for the Hurricane Info and under it click on Healing Environment.

Do you have resources or information you would like to share with
others?  Please let us know. Ltaylor at ucla.edu

THIS IS THE END OF THIS ISSUE OF ENEWS

See below for source identifying information:

Who Are We?

Under the auspices of the School Mental Health Project in the Department of
Psychology at UCLA we established a Center for Mental Health in Schools
in1995. The Project and Center are co-directed by Howard Adelman and Linda
Taylor. The UCLA Center is one of two national centers first funded in
October,1995, by the Office of Adolescent Health, Maternal and Child Health
Bureau(Title V, Social Security Act), Health Resources and Services
Administration (Project #U45MC00175). In open competition, both Centers
were refunded in 2000 and 2005 for 5 year cycles with Substance Abuse and
Mental Health Services Administration's Center for Mental Health Services
joining HRSA as a co-funder. As sister Centers, the Center at UCLA and the
one at the University of Maryland focus on advancing efforts to enhance how
schools address mental health and psychosocial concerns.

A description and evaluation of the Center's work and impact is available at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

For more information about the Center or about ENEWS, contact Center
Coordinator Perry Nelson or Center Co-Directors Howard Adelman and Linda
Taylor at:
UCLA School Mental Health Project/Center for Mental Health in Schools
Box 951563, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1563
Phone (310) 825-3634; Toll Free (866) 846-4843; Fax (310) 206-8716
email: smhp at ucla.edu