ENEWS - April, 2003 (Vol. 7 # 7)

SMHP smhp at UCLA.EDU
Mon Mar 31 17:22:11 PST 2003

ENEWS: A Monthly Forum for Sharing and Interchange

April, 2003 (Vol. 7 # 7)

      Source: UCLA SCHOOL MENTAL HEALTH PROJECT/
           CENTER FOR MENTAL HEALTH IN SCHOOLS

WHAT IS ENEWS?  (For those who don't know) This is another link for those
concerned with enhancing policies, programs, and practices related to
addressing
barriers to students learning and to promoting mental health in schools.  It
augments the other ways our Center shares information and facilitates
interchange/networking.

      <><><><><><><><><><><><><>
      Feel Free to Forward This to Anyone
      <><><><><><><><><><><><><>

WHAT'S HERE THIS MONTH

**Emerging Issue
      >Reducing Over-identification of IDEA Kids

**News from Around the Country

**This Month's Focus for Schools to Address Barriers to Student Learning
      >April - Spring Can Be a High Risk Time for Students

**Recent Publications Relevant to
      >Children's Mental and Physical Health
      >Family, Community & Schools
      >Policy, Law, Finances & Statistics

**Upcoming Initiatives, Conferences, Workshops

**Calls for Grant Proposals and Papers

**News from the two National Centers focusing on Mental Health in Schools

**Other Helpful Resources

**Requests/Information/Comments/Questions from the Field

**Training & Job Opportunities
      (Including fellowships and scholarships)

<><><><><><><><><><>
To post messages to ENEWS, E-mail them to smhp at ucla.edu

If you were sent ENEWS indirectly, you can be added to our list at no charge by
sending an E-mail request to Listserv at listserv.ucla.edu. Leave the subject line
blank and in the body of the message type Subscribe mentalhealth-L.

To remove your name from the mailing list type Unsubscribe mental health-L
<><<><><<><><><><><><><><><><><>

**EMERGING ISSUE

 >>>Reducing Over-identification of IDEA Kids

The proposed House bill to reauthorize IDEA (HR 1350, "Improving Education
Results for Children with Disabilities Act") seeks to discourage over-
identification of students as having disabilities reimbursable under the
act. It does
so by capping the maximum amount states can receive. That is, if a state's
percentage of identified students with disabilities (age 3-17) exceeds 12%
of the
state's overall 3-17 population, the state would receive no additional IDEA
funding for these children. Given how many states already exceed or are
close to
exceeding the 12% figure, concern has been raised about whether this is an
appropriate way to address the over-identification problem.

Where do you stand on this?  Please share your view on this. We look forward to
your comments.

Post your response directly on our website's New Exchange page for others to
read and respond.
Go to http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu
Or you can send your response by email to: smhp at ucla.edu
Phone: 310/825-3634
Write: Center for Mental Health in Schools
Department of Psychology, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1563

@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@

**NEWS FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION WEB RESOURCE TO HELP
SCHOOLS PLAN FOR EMERGENCIES

A new section on the U. S. Department of Education's Website is designed to
be a
one-stop shop to help school officials plan for any emergency including
terrorist
acts (http://www.ed.gov/emergencyplan)

Note:  The Center for Mental Health in Schools at UCLA website prominently
displays a link to crisis, trauma, and grief concerns on its homepage
(http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu -- see the button labeled "Responding to a
Crisis").
This link takes you to an array of online resources including those
produced by the
Center and links to other basic online documents and to Centers specializing in
this concern. Also, see the OTHER HELPFUL RESOURCES section of this
electronic newsletter for some specific resources on helping kids cope with
terrorism and war.

STUDY SHOWS PRESCHOOL CAN HELP PREVENT CHILD ABUSE

Findings from a University of Wisconsin - Madison longitudinal study provide
evidence that preschool programs positively impact not only school
readiness and
performance, but long term family outcomes. In Child Development,
January/February 2003.  (Http://www.waisman.wisc.edu/cls/)

IT LOOKS LIKE ADHD, BUT IS IT?

In Pediatrics March, 2003, researchers at the University of Louisville
reported that
certain sleep disorders can lead to hyperactivity in young people, which
might be
misdiagnosed as ADHD. The researchers found that once the sleep problem was
handled, about one-quarter of the children (ages 5 to 7) were able to give up
ADHD medication. Christian Science Monitory, 3/6/03.

STUDENTS SELLING ANTI-ANXIETY PILLS TO PEERS

A Miami Herald article (3/3/03) discusses the problem of students selling Xanax
on campus. Police report that it is more accessible and cheaper than other club
drugs. With respect to treatment, it is stressed that abusers of the drug
have to
come off it gradually to prevent seizures.

STATES CUT SCHOOL FUNDING

School officials from more than a dozen states report the most serious
fiscal crisis
in more than half a century. 85% of district budgets is tied up in salaries and
benefits. Cuts are predicted to take a toll on students' performance as
districts
increase class size, pare teacher training programs, and cut programs
ranging from
remedial tutoring to advanced classes. (Washington Post, 3/14/03)

FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OFFERING $60 MILLION FOR EMERGENCY
PLANNING RELATED TO CHEMICAL OR BIOLOGICAL ATTACKS

U. S. Departments of Homeland Security and Education will help school districts
create emergency plans for chemical or biological attacks. There will be $30
million this year and next devoted to training, equipment, and planning for
emergency response. (New York Times, 3/7/03)

DATA MAPPING HELPS PHILADELPHIA TARGET SERVICES FOR KIDS
AND FAMILIES

The Urban Health Initiative reports that the Philadelphia Safe and Sound
initiative
has improved decision making related to the targeting and coordinating services
through use of tools such as: the City Report Card, the Children's Budget, the
Integrated Data Information Systems, the Geographical Information System visual
mapping, the Weapons Related Injury Surveillance System, and the city hospital
based training system for weapon related injuries and families.
(Http://www.urbanhealth.org)

THE DISPERSAL OF IMMIGRANTS IN THE 1990's

Foreign-born population in the U.S. grew 57 percent during the 1990s. However,
in 22 "new growth" states across the Southeast, Midwest and Rocky Mountain
regions, it grew by 145 percent. The largest growth occurred in North Carolina,
Georgia, and Nevada. (Http://www.urban.org/url.cfm?ID=410589)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Even in this era of growing cynicism and shriveling resources, local groups in
many parts of the country are determined to mobilize political will around
achieving the tangible outcomes that the public values. Individuals and
organizations are forming coalitions and acting together because they have
found
that fragmented, piecemeal, narrowly categorical approaches do not achieve
their
goals."
           Lisbeth Schorr
           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Note: see our website WHAT'S NEW, for a current news item posted each week.]

@#@@#@#@#@#@

THIS MONTH'S FOCUS FOR SCHOOLS TO ADDRESS BARRIERS TO LEARNING

Each month on our website we feature a special focus on enhancing student
support
at schools.  The focus for April is on: Spring Can Be a High Risk Time for
Students

Time is running out for catching up; decisions are made about who passes and
who fails.  Of special concern are youngsters who feel hopeless about their
situation. The Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report notes "Programs designed
to prevent suicide and suicidal behavior among students should recognize
that the
spring semester is the period of highest risk." For tools, guidelines, and
resources
to anticipate and address this concern see http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu homepage
feature "Ideas for Enhancing Support at Youth School This Month."

@#@@#@#@#@#@#@@#@##

"Teachers can help to lighten a depressed student's load by creating a
comfortable
classroom where the student knows he/she is cared for and where the student
doesn't have a time limit to suddenly cheer up."
                      Alexandra Madison

      @@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@

**RECENT PUBLICATIONS (IN PRINT AND ON THE WEB)

      >>>CHILDREN'S MENTAL AND PHYSICAL HEALTH

"What Adolescents Learn in Organized Youth Activities: A Survey of Self-
reported Developmental Experiences." (2003) by D. Hansen, R. Larson, and J.
Dworkin in the Journal of Research on Adolescence, 13(1) 25-55.

"Strategies for Developing Treatment Programs for People with Co-Occurring
Substance Abuse and Mental Disorders" (2003)  a joint effort of the National
Council for Community Behavioral Healthcare, the State Associations of
Addiction Services and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services
Administration. (Http://www.samhsa.gov)

"The Impact of Childhood Psychopathology Interventions on Subsequent
Substance Abuse: Policy Implications, Comments, and Recommendations" (2002)
by P. Kendall & R. Kessler, Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology,
70(6)
1303-1306.  Summarized at
http://rtckids.fmhi.usf.edu/rtcpubs/datatrends/summary_74.pdf

"Mental Health Resource Guide: Moving Towards a Multi-System Approach for
Child and Adolescent Mental Health" (2003) Association of State and Territorial
Health Officials. (Http://www.astho.org)

"Developmental Trajectories Toward Violence in Middle Childhood: Course,
Demographic Differences and Response to School Based Intervention."  (2003) by
J. L. Aber, J Brown, & S. Jones, in Developmental Psychology, 39 (2)
(http://www.apa.org/journals/dev/press_releases/march_2003/dev392324.pdf)

"Initial Behavior Outcomes for the PeaceBuilders Universal School-Based
Violence Prevention Program (2002) by D. Flannery, et al, in Developmental
Psychology, 39(2)
(http://www.apa.org/journals/dev/press_releases/march_2003/dev392292.html)

"The Growth in After-School Programs and Their Impact" (2003) by R. Hollister.
Children's Roundtable, Brookings Institution
(http://www.brook.edu/es/research/projects/cr/cr.htm)

"Managing Transitions" (2003) California Center for Community-School
Partnership/Healthy Start Field Office (http://hsfo.ucdavis.edu/download.html)

Special Issue of Educational Leadership: "Creating Caring Schools" Vol 60(6)
March, 2003.  Includes:
      "Evaluating Social and Emotional Learning Programs" by R. Weissberg,
et al
      "Substance Use in Schools" by K. Finn, et al.
      "Creating a School Community" by E. Schaps

"Prereferral Intervention Processes: A Survey of State Practices" (2002) by G.
Buck, et al. In Exceptional Children, Vol 69(3) 349-360.

"Listening to Students About Learning Differences" (2003) by A. Cook-Sather, in
Teaching Exceptional Children, vol 35(4) 22-26.

"What We Know About Successful School Leadership" (2003) by K. Leithwood
& C. Riehl, Laboratory for Student Success, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
(http://www.cepa.gse.rutgers.edu/whatweknow.pef)

"Lifeworks: Behavioral Health in the Classroom" (2003) by N DiNatale & H.
Shore, Foundations Behavioral Health (http://www.fbh.com)

"Determining 'What Works' in Social Programs and Social Policies: Toward a
More Inclusive Knowledge Base" (2003) by L. Schorr for The Children's
Roundtable at the Bookings Institution
(http://www.brook.edu/es/research/projects/cr/cr.htm)

"The Cost of Protecting Vulnerable Children" (2003) Urban Institute
(http://www.urban.org)

"Child Maltreatment 2000" (2003) Administration for Children, Youth, and
Families (http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/publications/cmreports.htm)

"Managed Care Design & Financing" (2003) by S. Pires. Promising Approaches
for Behavioral Health Services to Children and Adolescents and Their
Families in
Managed Care Systems, A Series of the Health Care Reform Tracking Project
(http://www.fmhi.usf.edu/institute/pubs/bysubject.html)

"The Civic Mission of Schools" (2003) Center for Information and Research on
Civic Learning and Engagement (http://www.civicmissionofschools.org)
"Finding Funding: A Guide to Federal Sources for Out-of-School Time and
Community School Initiatives" and "Finding Resources to Support Rural Out-of-
School Time Programs" (2003) Finance Project
(http://www.financeprojectinfo.org)

[Note: the QUICK FIND topic search menu on our website is updated regularly
with new reports and publications such as those listed above.  Currently
there are
over 100 topics with direct links to our Center materials and to other online
resources and related Centers   (http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu)]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Districts across the state have been in a cost-cutting mode for a number
of years.
When you continue that cutting over a lengthy period of time you're cutting
to the
bone. We're concerned because in Texas we have increased standards for students
learning. So we have increasing expectations and diminishing resources, two
irreconcilable forces."
                Karen Soehnge, Texas Association of School Administrators
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(http://www.upenn.edu/ccp)

(http://childrensdefense.org/events.php)

(http://www.childrensinstitute.org )

(http://www.naswca.org )

(Http://www.nmha.org)

(http://www.nasponline.org)

(http://ed-lbexorg.readyhosting.com)

 >Second International Conference on Violence in School, May 11-14, Quebec
City, Canada
(http://www.ulaval.ca/crires )

 >National Coordinating Committee on School Health, May 15-16,
Washington,DC
(http://www.healthystudents.org )

(http://www.nhsa.org)

(http://www.nyacyouth.org )

 >Building Pathways to Success: Research, Policy, and Practice on Development
in Middle Childhood, June 12-13, Washington, DC
  (http://www.middlechildhood.org/conference/index.html)

(http://www.5thbipolar.org)

(http://www.peerhelping.org)

(http://www.nasbhc.org)

June 26-28, Portland, OR (http://www.rtc.pdx.edu)

24-26, Niagara, Ontario, Canada (http://www.specialevents.buffalo.edu/niagara)

 >Conflict Resolution: Beyond Peer Mediation Training for Elementary School
Faculty, July 9; for Secondary School Faculty, July 10-11,  Seattle, WA
(http://www.cruinstitute.org)

(http://www.ecs.org)

October 8-10, NY, NY (http://www.casacolumbia.org/)

 >>8th National Conference on Advancing School Based Mental Health Programs,
October 23-25, Portland, OR (http://csmha.umaryland.edu)

[FOR MORE CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENTS, REFER TO OUR
WEBSITE AT http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu   Go to "Contents" then click on
Upcoming Conferences]

If you want your conference listed, send the information to smhp at ucla.edu

@@@@@@@
"Trying to predict the future is like trying to drive down a country road
at night
with no lights while looking out the back window."
           Peter Drucker
      @@@@@@@@@@@@@

^   ^   ^   ^   CALLS FOR GRANT PROPOSALS AND PAPERS

Grants:
 >>>Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
(http://samhsa.gov)
     >Strengthening Access and Retention for Substance Abuse Treatment,
TI-03-006, due May 12
     >Effective Adolescent Alcohol and Drug Abuse Treatment; Motivational
Enhancement Therapy
         and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, TI 03-007, Due May 12
     >Methamphetamine and inhalant prevention interventions or
infrastructure development
         (part of the Targeted Capacity Expansion Program) SP 03-006, Due
May 23
     >Knowledge Dissemination Conference Grants, PA 03-002, Deadline
September 10

 >>>U. S. Department of Education (http://www.ed.gov)
      >Social and Character Development Research, CFDA#84.305L, Due April 25.
      >Comprehensive School Reform Quality Initiatives, CFDA#84.332B, Due May 5
      >Smaller Learning Communities Program, CFDA#84.215L, Due May 19

[Note: If you want to "Surf the Internet for Funds" go to
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu.  Click on Quick Find, Scroll down Center Responses
to FINANCING AND FUNDING.  Provides links to funding sources and our
Quick Training Aid on Financing Strategies to Address Barriers to Learning]

Papers:
 >Call for Presentations:  National Association of Secondary School Principals
Convention, Feb 27-Mar 1, 2004, Orlando, FL.  Call for Presentations on
successful research based information on student achievement or principal
leadership.  Proposals due May 5.
(Http://www.nasspconvention.org/2004convention.htm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that
matters, in
the end."
           Ursula K. Le Guin
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 >>NEWS FROM THE TWO NATIONAL CENTERS FOCUSING ON MENTAL HEALTH IN SCHOOLS

^ ^ ^ Updates from our Center at UCLA

 >>>The Summits Initiative: NEW DIRECTIONS FOR STUDENT SUPPORT
       (Go to http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu. Click on the green circle on the
      homepage that says Summits for a description of the Initiative and
its co-
      sponsoring organizations.)

Most people hear the term student support and think mainly about pupil service
personnel and the special services such staff provide.  But, schools need
and have
many more resources they can use to meet the challenge of ensuring all students
have an equal opportunity to succeed at school. Besides traditional support
staff,
learning support is provided by compensatory education personnel (e.g., Title I
staff), resource teachers who focus on prereferral interventions, and personnel
who provide a variety of school-wide programs (e.g., after schools, safe
and drug
free school programs). The Summits Initiative is intended to rethink how
all these
resources can be used to:

     >more effectively deploy resources and minimize fragmentation,
competition, and marginalization

     >reframe student support as learning support to address barriers to
student learning
        and realigning support staff roles and functions to develop
comprehensive, multifaceted,
        and cohesive approaches

     >fully integrate learning support programs and staff into the school
improvement agenda at every school

     >revamp infrastructures to weave resources together and provide
mechanisms for enhancing
         how schools address barriers to enable all students to learn.

Building on the National Summit, the Eastern Regional Summit and the
Minnesota State Summit on New Directions for Student Support, the UCLA
Center has begun planning a late May Midwest Regional Summit. This will be
held in Chicago. Invitations will be sent soon to a wide range of state and
district
administrators of student support programs.

If you are interested in organizing a State Summit for New Directions for
Student
Support, see the guidelines for State Summits on our website
(http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu)

Affect and Mood Problems Related to School Aged Youth (An Introductory
Packet)   discusses  a broad continuum of affect and mood, causes of problems,
ideas for promoting healthy development and preventing mood and affect
problems, strategies for responding to the first sign of problems,
interventions for
serious problems (including depression, bipolar disorder, and anger), and a
range
of references, resources, and training materials.

**All of our materials can be downloaded at no cost or in hardcopy for the
cost of
copying and mailing.  See our list of materials online at
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu or contact us and we'll send it to you.

 >>>THIS MONTH'S IDEAS FOR ENHANCING SUPPORT AT YOUR SCHOOL
(A special feature on our website)

Each month we compile ideas and activities for support for students,
families, and
staff that fit the "season" or rhythm of the school year. The focus for April :
Spring Can Be a High Risk Time for Students   Includes keeping problems in
perspective; seasonal variations in depression and suicidal behavior;
resources to
guide prevention and early intervention; developmental variations in
sadness and
depression.

 >>>MENTAL HEALTH IN SCHOOLS PRACTITIONER LISTSERV

The number of school based mental health practitioners linked to this weekly
exchange of information and ideas continues to grow.  It is a window into what
others are doing, what problems they face, and potential solutions.  Join
us in this
weekly exchange on topics related to mental health in schools.  Email
smhp at ucla.edu and ask to be aded to the Mental Health in Schools Practitioner
Listserv.

LET US KNOW WHAT YOU NEED.  New resources can be developed and best
practices identified.  Also, let us know about the latest and greatest you
encounter
so we can update our resources and your colleagues across the nation.

Contact us at SCHOOL MENTAL HEALTH PROJECT/
CENTER FOR MENTAL HEALTH IN SCHOOLS
UCLA Department of Psychology
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1563
Phone (310) 825-3634   Fax (310) 206-8716
Email: smhp at ucla.edu
Website: http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

^ ^ ^ ^ UPDATES FROM OUR SISTER CENTER

^ ^ Center for School Mental Health Assistance at the University of Maryland at
Baltimore will hold its 8th National Conference on Advancing School Based
Mental Health Programs, October 23-25, Portland, OR

For more, see their website (http://csmha.umaryland.edu) Or contact Mark Weist,
Director, Center for School Mental Health Assistance, University of Maryland at
Baltimore, Department of Psychiatry, 680 W Lexington St., 10th fl., Baltimore,
MD 21201.  Phone (888) 706-0980; Email: csmha at umpsy.umaryland.edu

+   +   +   +   OTHER HELPFUL RESOURCES

 >>MENTAL HEALTH/SUBSTANCE ABUSE/HEALTH

"Talking to Kids about Terrorism or Acts of War"
(http://www.aboutourkids.org/articles/war.html)

"Road to Resilience" to help people build resilience in a time of war
(http://www.helping.apa.org)

"Helping our Children Deal with War" (http://www.nmha.org)

"Terrorism and Children" (http://www.ces.purdue.edu/terrrorism/index.html)

"Helping Children deal with tragic events in unsettling times"
(http://www.nasponline.org)

"Diagnosis of Eating Disorders in Primary Care
(http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030115/297.html)

"National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy"
(http://www.teenpregnancy.org/america/default.asp)

"Children & Families Subcommittee of the President's New Freedom
Commission on Mental Health"
(http://www.mentalhealthcommission.gov/subcommittee/Sub_Chairs.htm)

"Management of Bipolar Disorder"
(http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000915/1343.html)

"Treatment of Bipolar Disorder: A Guide for Patients and Families"
(http://www.psychguides.com/Bipolar_2000_Guide.pdf)

 >>PARENTS, SCHOOLS & COMMUNITIES

"Dropout Re-Engagement: A New Approach"
(http://www.principals.org/news/pl_dropout_reengagement_0203.html)

"Moving Beyond the Walls: Faith and Justice Partnerships Working for High-
Risk Youth" (http://www.ppv.org/index.html)

"A Child Advocate's Guide to Federal Early Care and Education Policy"
(http://www.childadvocacy.org/ECEFederalGuide.pdf)

"White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanic Americans"
(http://www.YesICan.gov)

"State Fact Sheets on Vulnerable Children" Child Welfare League of America
(http://www.cwla.org/advocacy/statefactsheets/statefactsheets03.htm)

"Census data on high school and college enrollments"
(http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/educ-attn.html)

"Parents' Resource Center" (http://www.healthinschools.org/parents/index.htm)

"Community YouthMapping" (http://www.communityyouthmapping.org)

"CLIKS: County, City, Community-Level Information on Kids"
(http://www.aecf.org/kidscount/cliks)

"National Youth Service Day" (http://www.ysa.org/nysd/)

[Note: for each access to a wide range of relevant websites, see our
"Gateway to a
World of Resources" http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu]

@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Is it true? The balance between benefits and defects is much more easily
improved
by removing defects than increasing benefits.
      @@@@@@@@@@@@@

**REQUESTS/INFO/COMMENTS/QUESTIONS FROM THE FIELD

 >>Reactions to high stakes testing

"I oppose high stakes testing required by the federal No Child Left Behind
statue
for reasons widely shared among scholars, researchers and psychometricians.
I do
not believe that high stakes testing leads to achievement of broad educational
goals and the efficient learning of basic skills.  I believe high stakes
testing
produces unintended consequences damaging to schools and students.  Labeling
schools will be unproductive and unfair.

I accept the purpose of NCLB that all students need to improve in basic
skills and
I accept being held accountable for success with students.  Teachers work
hard at
providing quality programs for students and bringing dropout prone students to
graduation.  I measure student progress not through testing alone but through a
variety of measures that take into account students' present state and
their living
environment..."

 >>We were asked to include this announcement:
The Adolescent Health Working Group is excited to announce that our training,
Confidentiality, Minor Consent, and Practice Concerns When Treating Teen
Patients, is now available online.
(Http://main01.hostcast.com/custom/ahwg/ahwy.asp)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is said: The "silly question" is the first intimation of some totally new
development.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

^ ^ ^ ^ TRAINING AND JOB OPPORTUNITIES

<Evaluation Specialist>
Southwest Educational Development Laboratory, Austin, TX. Master's and
experience conducting educational program evaluations.
(Http://www.sedl.org/about/jobs.html)

<School Support Consultant>
Center for the Advancement of Children's Mental Health, Columbia University,
NY. Masters degree in social work, psychology, education or related field
and two
years experience. Contact Lisa Hunter, Columbia, Dept. of Child Psychiatry,
1051
Riverside Dr., Unit 78, NY, NY 10032.

<Postdoctoral Fellowships>
Childhood Trauma, LaRabida Children's Hospital, Chicago. Doctorate required.
Contact cmavroals at larabida.org.

<Postdoctoral Fellowship>
Adolescent drug abuse treatment research, University of Miami Center for
Treatment Research on Adolescent Drug Abuse, Miami, FL. Ph.D. or M. D.
required. Contact crowe at med.miami.edu.

<Postdoctoral Fellowship>
Adolescent Health, University of California, San Francisco. Deadline April 15.
Contact Susan Millstein, Division of Adolescent Medicine, Department of
Pediatrics, Research, and Policy Center for Children and Adolescence,
University
of California, San Francisco, Box 0503, 3333 California St., San Francisco, CA
94143-0503.

<Faculty>
University of California, Santa Barbara, Counseling, Clinical, and School
Psychology Program. Contact Chair of Clinical Child/Adolescent Psychology
Faculty Search Committee, UC Santa Barbara, Gevirtz Graduate School of
Education, Counseling, Clinical, and School Psychology Program, Santa Barbara
CA 93106-9490.

[FOR MORE INFORMATION ON EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES, SEE
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu. Go to Contents, scroll down to Jobs.  Following the
listing of current openings, you will see links to HRSA, SAMHSA, and other
relevant job sites.]

@#@#@##@#@##@##@#@##@#@##@#@##@#@##@#@##@#@#

THIS IS THE END OF THIS ISSUE OF ENEWS
Below is a brief description of our Center at UCLA for more see our website
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu

@#@#@##@#@##@##@#@##@#@##@#@##@#@##@#@##@#@#

Who are we?

Under the auspices of the School Mental Health Project in the Department of
Psychology at UCLA we established a Center for Mental Health in Schools in
1995. The Project and Center are co-directed by Howard Adelman and Linda
Taylor. The UCLA Center is one of two national centers funded in October, 1995,
by the Office of Adolescent Health, Maternal and Child Health Bureau (Title V,
Social Security Act), Health Resources and Services Administration (Project
#U93MC00175). Both Centers were refunded in October, 2000, for a 5 year cycle,
with Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's Center for
Mental Health Services joining HRSA as a co-funder. As sister Centers, the
Center at UCLA and the one at the University of Maryland provide support
(training and technical assistance) for mental health and psychosocial
concerns in
schools.

Our group at UCLA approaches mental health concerns from the broad
perspective of addressing barriers to learning and promoting healthy
development.
Activities include gathering and disseminating information, materials,
development, direct assistance, and facilitating networking and exchanges of
ideas. We demonstrate the catalytic use of technical assistance, internet,
publications, resource materials, and regional and national meetings to
stimulate
interest in program and systemic change. Specific attention is given to
policies
and strategies that can (a) counter fragmentation and enhance collaboration
between school and community programs, and (b) counter the marginalization of
mental health in schools. Center staff are involved in model development and
implementation, training and technical assistance, and policy analysis. We
focus
on interventions that range from systems for healthy development and problem
prevention through treatment for severe problems and stress the importance of
school improvement and systemic change. There is an emphasis on enhancing
collaborative activity that braids together school and community resources.

The Center works to enhance network building for program expansion and
systemic change and does catalytic training to stimulate interest in such
activity.
We connect with major initiatives of foundations, associations,
governmental, and
school and mental health departments. Evaluations indicate the Center has had
considerable impact in strengthening the network of professionals advancing the
field of mental health in schools and in changing policies and practices.

For more information about the Center or about ENEWS, contact
Center Coordinator Perry Nelson or
Center Co-Directors Howard Adelman and Linda Taylor at:
UCLA, School Mental Health Project/Center for Mental Health in Schools
Box 951563 Los Angeles, CA 90095-1563
Phone (310) 825-3634 Fax (310) 206-8716
email: smhp at ucla.edu -- Website: http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu