SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

SMHP smhp at UCLA.EDU
Thu Jan 24 11:41:52 PST 2002

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT - UCLA Center for Mental Health in Schools

 "MENTAL HEALTH AND SCHOOL-BASED HEALTH CENTERS" – a guide to practice

The Center has again updated and for the first time put on the internet its guide for the mental health facets of school-based health centers . The introductory overview focuses on where the mental health facets of school-based health centers (SBHCs) fit into the work of schools. This is followed by three modules.
    * Module I addresses problems related to limited center resources (e.g., limited finances) and how to maximize resource use and effectiveness);
    * Module II focuses on matters related to working with students (consent, confidentiality, problem identification, prereferral interventions, screening/assessment, referral, counseling, prevention/mental health education, responding to crises, management of care);
    * Module III explores quality improvement, evaluating outcomes, and getting credit for all you do.
Each module is organized into a set of units with many resource aids (sample forms and special exhibits, questionnaires, interviews, screening indicators) for use as part of the day-by-day SBHC operational focus on mental health and psychosocial concerns. A coda highlights ways to and benefits of weaving together all resources for addressing barriers to student learning into a comprehensive, integrated Enabling Component.

To access the guidebook, you can DOWNLOAD it (1.4M; 504pp) from the Center's website in pdf format.  Go to: http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu, click on "Center Materials", scroll down and click on the "Guides to practice - ideas into practice" section.  You will then be able to select the entire document or individual sections to download.

You can also order a hardcopy version for $30.00 (for copying and handling costs.)

The Center is pleased to announce a new initiative to enhance inservice efforts at schools related to mental health and psychosocial concerns. We are developing and putting online two major forms of assistance:
QUICK TRAINING AIDS – Each of these offers a brief set of resources to guide those providing an inservice session. (They also are a form of quick self-tutorial.)   They encompass
(a) key talking points for a short training session,
(b) a brief overview of the topic,
(c) facts sheets,
(d) tools, and
(e) a sampling of other related information and resources

The first three are now online. (Several more will be on line in the next couple of weeks.). We invite you to look at these.  To access, go to http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu, click on "what's new", and scroll down to "Newest Resources".  You will find links to both the training aids and tutorial.  After you've had a chance to look them over, we would like you to (1) provide feedback for improving them and (2) propose topics you would like us to develop into Quick Training Aids. (In compiling resource material, the Center tries to identify those that represent "best practice" standards. If you know of better material, please let us know so that we can make improvements.)

TRAINING TUTORIALS – These are designed as self-directed opportunities for more in-depth learning about specific topics. They can be used as a self-tutorial or as a guide in training others.

The first of these entitled: "Creating the Infrastructure for an Enabling (Learning Support) Component to Address Barriers to Student Learning" is now online.  (Six others will go on line in the next month.) We invite you to look at it (go to http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu, click on "what's new", and scroll down to "Newest Resources".  You will find links to both the tutorial and training aids) and then (1) provide feedback for improvement and (2) propose topics you would like us to develop into Training Tutorials.

School Mental Health Project/
Center for Mental Health in Schools
UCLA Dept. of Psychology
Los Angeles, CA  90095-1563