[Hum_Calendar_Events] CMRS Voces Nostrates Lecture, V.A. Kolve, February 17, 2010

CDH Help Desk cdh at humnet.ucla.edu
Fri Feb 5 10:02:47 PST 2010

The UCLA Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies invites you to a
lecture by V.A. Kolve (Professor Emeritus, English, UCLA) on Wednesday,
February 17, 2010, at 5:00 pm in Royce 314. Professor Kolve will speak
about "On Touching and Not Touching Christ: Mary Magdalen at the Tomb on
Easter Morning."

In this study of medieval iconography, Professor Kolve will investigate
Christ's refusal of the Magdalen's anguished desire-Noli me tangere /
"Do not touch me; for I am not yet ascended to my Father")-as it had
been interpreted by the Fathers of the Church and would be negotiated in
unexpected ways by the medieval visual arts. This version of Christ's
First Appearance after the Resurrection, based upon the gospel of John,
posed many problems for Christian theology, which needed to explain its
apparent harshness, and even more for Christian devotion, which
otherwise saw the Magdalen's love for Christ as supremely worthy of
emulation. Professor Kolve's illustrated talk will examine
representations of this scene in sculpture, manuscript illuminations,
and religious drama to discover how the visual arts managed to
ameliorate, buffer, and even subtly undo the harsh rejection implicit in
Christ's command.

Advance registration is not required. Please sign the attendance sheet
at the door. No fee. Seating is limited, available on a first-come,
first-served basis. More information about the Voces Nostrates Lecture
Series is on the CMRS's website at
http://www.cmrs.ucla.edu/programs/voces_nostrates.html
<http://www.cmrs.ucla.edu/programs/voces_nostrates.html> . For more
information write cmrs at humnet.ucla.edu or call 310-825-1880.