[EnviSci] Weekly Email 4/5-4/9, 2010

Dieckmann, Royce rdieckmann at ioe.ucla.edu
Thu Apr 8 15:24:57 PDT 2010

 1.  EVENT: Green Collar Jobs: Making a Difference in Our Environment. April 20, 5pm at UCLA Career Center
 2.  FELLOWSHIP: Information Session about The Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans,  Monday, April 19 at 2243 Public Affairs Building.
 3.  INTERNSHIP: Internship opportunities in Africa through the Katleho Network
 4.  INTERNSHIP: Internship opportunity in Washington DC with 1Sky.
 5.  EMPLOYMENT: Pacific Northwest National Lab in Washington - Employment Opportunities
 6.  COLLOQUIUM: Dr. Lawson W. Brigham, "The New Maritime Arctic: Implications of Globalization, Climate Change and Geopolitics" Friday April 9 at 3:00pm in 1261 Bunche
 7.  COLLOQUIUM: Homeless Health Awareness Colloquium, Friday April 9, 6-9pm in Kerckhoff Grand Salon.
 8.  LECTURE: Miles R. Silman, "Amazonian and Andean forest diversity in space and time" Friday April 9, 1-2pm in La Kretz 300.
 9.  LECTURE: Matthew Dean, "Proteins of male seminal fluid: the evolutionary dynamics of sexual conflict" Wednesday, April 14 at Noon in Life Sciences 2320
 10. VOLUNTEER: Join Santa Monica Baykeeper on Saturday April 10, 10am-1pm to restore Stone Canyon Creek
 11. EVENT: Career Week 2010 at the UCLA Career Center
 12. SUMMER TRAVEL STUDY: UC Davis summer travel study has extended their deadline for UCLA students

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
1.

[cid:image001.gif at 01CAD72F.A57FC790]
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
5pm, UCLA Career Center, Third Floor, Conference Room<http://career.ucla.edu/Files/JPG/CW10/CareerCenterMap.jpg>

With the economy as unpredictable as the weather, it is even more important to recognize where opportunities exist. Do you have a passion for the environment? Now imagine having a sustainable career that could leave the planet in better shape than it is today. Come to this exciting panel presentation to discover the abundance of green careers that exist and how to break in to them. Clean and fresh ideas abound. We have assembled a variety of professionals who want to share with you their passion for making a change. It's time to find your career fit in a field that is growing. Now that's a breath of fresh air! Behold the Green Collar Worker!

Speakers include (subject to change):

 Ben Davis, Program Associate, Environment America

 Cara Horowitz, JD, UCLA Law Professor, Executive Director, Andrew Sabin Family Foundation, Emmett Center on Climate Change and the Environment at UCLA, UCLA Alumna 2001 (JD)
 Nurit Katz, Sustainability Coordinator, UCLA

 Marcel Porras, Transportation and Planning Deputy, Los Angeles City Council, District 13: Eric Garcetti, Council President; UCLA Alumnus 2007

 Tiffany Saleh, California Youth Representative, Sierra Club
 Juana Torres, Associate Regional Representative, Sierra Club

 Sirinya Tritipeskul, Social Media Analyst, UCLA Transportation, UCLA Alumna 2009

Career Week is absolutely free for currently registered UCLA students. Register<http://career.ucla.edu/Students/CareerWeek/CW10/Register.aspx> today!

________________________________

2. FELLOWSHIP: Information Session about The Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans, Monday April 19 at 2243 Public Affairs Building.

A special opportunity for students: the Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans.  The award is for graduate study in the United States and is for "New Americans," which the Soros Foundation defines as:

(1) a resident alien (i.e. holds a green card);
(2) someone who has been naturalized as a US citizen;
(3) or the child of a US naturalized parent (other parent cannot be US born)

Applicants must not be older than 30 years of age as of NOVEMBER 1, 2010.

Funding: $25,000 stipend (paid in two installments) each year and one-half the tuition cost of the US graduate program attended by the Fellow (up to a maximum of $20,000 per academic year).

Areas of Study: Any professional field (e.g., engineering, medicine, law, social work, etc.) or scholarly discipline in the humanities, social sciences, and sciences. The Fine and Performing Arts are included. The Trustees strongly encourage applications from candidates who have not yet begun their graduate studies, but full consideration will be given to candidates in the first or second years of graduate studies in their current program.

There will be an information session on Monday, April 19th at 2343 Public Affairs Building. The workshop/Q&A session for undergraduate students is from 12 Noon to 12:45 PM. The session for graduate students will be from 12:50 to 1:35 PM.

Please read the eligibility information and attend the information session to find out more. You can also go to the website www.pdsoros.org<http://www.pdsoros.org> for more information.

3. INTERNSHIP: Internship opportunities in Africa through the Katleho Network

Internship opportunities available in Africa through the Katleho Network, an organization that connects young adults in the United States with internship opportunities at development organizations working in rural South Africa.

The Katleho Network is a new and innovative umbrella organization made up of established development organizations in the Limpopo Province of South Africa. Our mission is to connect passionate young adults in the United States with credible rural development organizations in South Africa. We believe that young adults in the United States and international development organizations have a lot to offer one another. With that theory in mind, our mission at The Katleho Network is two fold:
- To provide quality internships to passionate and motivated young adults in the United States
- To aid South African development organizations by connecting them with high-calibre interns

Summer and Fall Internship opportunities include: -- Support for One Laptop Per Child (www.laptop.org) deployment --- Environmental Sustainability --- Arts Outreach --- Music Outreach --- Life Skills/Literacy Outreach --- Athletics Outreach --- IT Support and Website Development ---Business Marketing --- Building Repairs and Rejuvenation

Program Cost: $3000

Unlike many intern-placement companies, we work hard to keep administrative costs as low as possible, meaning that we can offer significantly lower program costs than our competitors (compare to Cross Cultural Solutions, which charges $6918 for internship programs of the same length, to IES, which charges $13,825 for its Fall 2010 program, or to CIEE, which charges $13,750 for its Fall 2010 South Africa Service Learning Program).

Program costs include:
- Accommodation
- Ground Transportation
- Food
- Pre-departure assistance
- Orientation, training, and 24 hour support services
- Optional weekend excursions to tourist attractions as well as "off-the-beaten-path" sites
For more information visit our website at: <http://www.katleho.org<http://www.katleho.org/>>

To Apply:
Please send resume and cover letter detailing your qualifications and specific areas of interest to katleho.network at gmail.com. Application period ends April 15. Successful applicants will be notified by May 1st.

4. INTERNSHIP: Internship opportunity in Washington DC with 1Sky.

Intern in D.C. with 1Sky:  a national climate campaign working to mobilize a broad base of support for climate change legislation in 2010 from across all sectors and communities in this country.

All hands on deck! 1Sky is a national climate campaign working to mobilize a broad base of support for climate change legislation in 2010 from across all sectors and communities in this country. And we're not stopping until we have the federal policy we need!

We're looking for motivated people to intern in 2010 with the following departments this summer:

- Organizing and Outreach. This position will be focusing on local and national grassroots organizing. It may involve conference attendance and volunteer coordination; telephone, in-person, and e-mail outreach; organizing around national calls to action; and general departmental and office support. Interns will help coordinate 1Sky's National Climate Precinct Captain program, assist with developing regional field strategy for action events, help organize local climate rallies, and track and organize collateral sent in to the office by activists all across the country.

- Internet, Film and Media. This person will provide support for online communications, including marketing, social networks, analytics, and creating digital media. Experience with HTML, photo editing tools, social networks, Google toolsets, blogging, or online organizing experience is a plus.

- Policy. Be involved with policy analysis and research, building relations with Capitol Hill, assisting in power-mapping, attending hearings, developing organizing materials, closely monitoring climate policy development, blogging, and general departmental and office support.

- Development and General Support. This highly organized person will assist in donor outreach, research on prospective donors, and donor communication, and provide general departmental and office support.

- Communications. You'll assist in communicating with media outlets, distributing media advisories and press releases, creating documents, talking points, and blogs, pitch-calling, providing support at visibility events in D.C. and nationally, and providing general support.

If you are willing and able to learn new skills and strategies, enjoy working in a fast-paced atmosphere, have excellent written and verbal communication skills and are committed to taking action on climate change, we want you!

Internship Dates
Summer: June 7 - Aug. 20 (now accepting candidates)
Fall: August - December

Submissions: Please submit a cover letter specifying which position you're applying for, your resume, and contact information for three references to internships at 1sky.org .  Include the title of the internship you are applying for in the subject line.

Compensation: 1Sky has paid and unpaid internships available. Paid internships are highly selective and require answering four additional questions.  If you are interested in being considered for a paid internship, please send a separate document answering these questions:

1. Explain why you think you are a good match for a particular internship listed above 2. Describe the nature of your economic need 3. Describe your commitment to diversity and inclusion in the environmental movement 4. What are your ideas for strategies the climate movement should employ in the next year to maximize our impact

Application Deadline: Please apply today!  Our deadline is rolling.

5. EMPLOYMENT: Pacific Northwest National Lab - Employment Opportunities

We have many exciting research positions in the Atmospheric Sciences and Global Change Division of the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. Our openings include scientific support and engineering positions as well as research positions on a range of topics in the atmospheric sciences, water resources, and economics with opportunities at a variety of levels ranging from postdoctoral fellows through senior scientific staff.  A complete and concise list of our positions is available at http://www.pnl.gov/atmospheric/jobs.stm

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
902 Battelle Boulevard
P.O. Box 999, MSIN K9-34
Richland, WA  99352 USA

6. COLLOQUIUM: Dr. Lawson W. Brigham, "The New Maritime Arctic: Implications of Globalization, Climate Change and Geopolitics" Friday April 9 at 3:00pm in 1261 Bunche

The UCLA Department of Geography is pleased to present the following Todd Spieker Colloquium this FRIDAY, APRIL 9 at 3:00 in 1261 Bunche Hall:

"The New Maritime Arctic: Implications of Globalization, Climate Change and Geopolitics"

Dr. Lawson W. Brigham
Distinguished Professor of Geography & Arctic Policy, University of Alaska Fairbanks

Early in the 21st century the maritime Arctic is undergoing extraordinary changes and the Arctic states are confronting the challenges of new uses of this once remote ocean. Globalization and the increasing economic connection of the Arctic to the rest of the planet are driving increases in Arctic marine operations. Exploration and development of the Arctic's large storehouse of natural resources, such as oil & gas and mineral wealth, have driven increases in regional and coastal marine transportation.  Arctic sea ice is also undergoing an historic transformation  ~ thinning and extent reduction forced by climate change ~ and these environmental changes potentially allow for longer seasons of navigation and greater marine access to coastal regions

7. COLLOQUIUM: Homeless Health Awareness Colloquium, Friday April 9, 6-9pm in Kerckhoff Grand Salon.

 The HOPE 4 Homeless Project is holding a Homeless Health Awareness Colloquium on Friday, April 9th, from 6pm-9pm, at Kerckhoff Grand Salon.  Free food and refreshments will be served.

The colloquium will address healthcare issues faced by the homeless community. Topics include common illnesses, access to care, and impact of the health care reform on the homeless population.

Our guest speakers include experts on homelessness from the UCLA School of Medicine, National Health Care for Homeless Council, and Safe House. A panel discussion will follow the speeches.

The speakers are as follows:
*Introduction - Dr. Vincent Moore - President & Founder of Without Walls Ministry*
 Dr. Vincent Moore is a formerly homeless resident who graduated from the rehab program from our main collaborator downtown, LA Mission.  He will open the panel by providing a compelling first-person account of his homeless experience, as well as some of his encounters with healthcare services as a homeless resident from LA Skid Row.
*Dr. Scott Fears - UCLA Department of Psychiatry, Board member for Homeless Health Care Los Angeles and Integrated Recovery Network
As a psychiatry research fellow at the UCLA medical school, Dr. Fears will bring in his clinical perspective of treating homeless patients with mental illnesses.  The focus of his presentation will be on the specifics of treating mental health issues in homeless patients and his personal experience as a clinician providing psychiatric care for homeless patients.
*Dr. Steven Shoptaw - Executive Director of Safe House
Dr. Shoptaw will speak about his work with Safe House and provide a comprehensive overview of the demographics and epidemiology of homeless patients facing HIV/AIDS, chemical dependence, and mental illnesses. He will also discuss how his work has influenced the clinical practice guidelines of intervention with the homeless population.
*Closing - Dr. Barbara DiPietro - Policy Director of National Health Care for Homeless Council
Dr. Barbara DePietro's presentation aims to move from the local focus of Los Angeles to more national policy level to tie the themes together.  She will speak specifically about her own research work on homeless access to care through the ERs and the role of health care reform and other national policies as a vehicle to address the needs of the homeless population.
Panel Discussion Q&A session with speakers

Please join us in this great opportunity to learn and raise awareness about healthcare issues faced by the homeless community!
HOPE 4 Homeless Project is a student volunteer organization that provides tutoring and health services for homeless students from the rehabilitation program at LA Mission located in downtown Skid Row.
Contact: uclahope at gmail.com<mailto:uclahope at gmail.com>

8. LECTURE: Miles R. Silman, "Amazonian and Andean forest diversity in space and time" Friday April 9, 1-2pm in La Kretz 300.

Amazonian and Andean forest diversity in space and time
Presented by Miles R. Silman, Associate Professor of Biology, Wake Forest University

Friday, April 9, 2010
1 p.m. - 2p.m.
La Kretz Hall, Suite 300
Large Conference Room

This talk looks at large scale patterns of diversity in Amazonian and Andean forests and how the change in space, and also uses paleoecological data to examine on changes in time.  Taking the rates of change in forests as a starting point, I then examine what our predictions for species migrations and extinctions will be in the Amazon and Andes for current and future climate changes, and also the difficulties associated with making those estimates.  I finish by giving a brief overview of Amazonian bamboo forests.

Miles Silman is an Associate Professor of Biology at Wake Forest University. His work centers on the response of tropical forests ecosystems to past and future climate changes in the Andes and Amazon, with particular emphasis on plant community ecology, species distribution and species migration in space and time.

9. LECTURE: Matthew Dean, "Proteins of male seminal fluid: the evolutionary dynamics of sexual conflict" Wednesday, April 14 at Noon in Life Sciences 2320

MATTHEW DEAN
Molecular and Computational Biology, University of Southern California
"Proteins of male seminal fluid: the evolutionary dynamics of sexual conflict"

Abstract:
Beyond viability, the most important task a sexually reproducing organism can accomplish is to pass its gametes to the next generation.  Seminal fluid plays an important role in successful fertilization, yet the proteins that are transferred from males to females, and the functions they perform, are not fully characterized.  Here, we use isotopic labeling coupled with a mass spectrometry pipeline to identify ejaculated proteins in mice.  This is the first comprehensive, direct identification of ejaculated proteins in this model organism.  We identified 88 proteins, 75 of which were detected directly from the copulatory plug, a hard coagulum that forms shortly after mating.  As a possible form of mate guarding, whereby fertilization by future matings is inhibited, the copulatory plug may be beneficial for males but deleterious for females - that is, it may be a source of evolutionary sexual conflict.  Consistent with this hypothesis, copulatory plug proteins evolve at an elevated rate, and are produced at significantly higher abundance, than other ejaculated proteins.  Because our approach can separate male- and female-derived proteins, we find that while male-derived proteins are enriched for serine endopeptidase inhibitors, females appear to produce serine endopeptidases in response to mating.  One interpretation is that male fitness depends both on the formation and preservation of the copulatory plug, while female fitness depends on her ability to degrade the plug and clear her reproductive tract for future mating.  These investigations lay the foundation for understanding the genetic and functional basis of sexual conflict.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

12 Noon

2320 Life Sciences Building

Host: John Novembre

Refreshments will be served at 11:40 a.m.

10. VOLUNTEER: Join Santa Monica Baykeeper on Saturday April 10, 10am-1pm to restore Stone Canyon Creek

Please join Santa Monica Baykeeper upstream at the UCLA Lab School on Saturday, April 10th, from 10am-1pm as we begin restoration work on this section of Stone Canyon Creek. We will meet in front of the Lab School (330 Charles E. Young Drive North) at 10am.

To find us take Sunset Blvd to Westwood Plaza. Turn into campus then make an immediate left onto Charles E. Young Drive. Look for our signs.

Please RSVP by calling 310-305-9645 x105.

Aquarium of the Pacific's Earth Day 2010 is on Saturday April 24th. Attached is a coupon for $10 off adult admission during the event. Be sure to stop by the Santa Monica Baykeeper table and say hello!

Heather Burdick
Watershed Programs Coordinator

Santa Monica Baykeeper
120 Broadway, Suite 105
Santa Monica, CA 90401
Phone: 310-305-9645 ext. 105 Fax: 310-305-7985
www.smbaykeeper.org<http://www.smbaykeeper.org>

Find us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/smbaykeeper<http://www.facebook.com/smbaykeeper>
SAVE ROCKY POINT! Join our facebook page at www.facebook.com/saverockypoint<http://www.facebook.com/saverockypoint>

11. EVENT: Career Week 2010 at the UCLA Career Center

Remember, Career Week 2010 (the UCLA Career Center's banner event) is right around the corner.
View more information and a short, fun and informative video here:
Be Sure to Scroll to the BOTTOM of the Page at the Following Link
http://career.ucla.edu/Students/CareerWeek/CW10/Overview.aspx

12. SUMMER TRAVEL STUDY: UC Davis summer travel study has extended their deadline for UCLA students

UC Davis has extended the deadline for open Summer Abroad programs. Enrollment packets will now be accepted through April 15th.  All UC Los Angeles students can receive an extension for select items - such as their health clearance form and passport. We want to make study abroad accessible for students!

The Summer Abroad 2010 deadline has been extended to April 15th.  UC Los Angeles students can now receive an extension for select items and complete their enrollment in under an hour!

UC Davis Summer Abroad programs feature UC Davis courses taught by UC Davis faculty-all over the world. All UCLA students-from freshmen to graduating seniors-are welcome to enroll!  Ask the UCLA Financial Aid office about taking your Summer Aid with you-to another continent!

Open Programs: https://summer-abroad.ucdavis.edu/programs/current-programs/
Enrollment Instructions: http://summer-abroad.ucdavis.edu/documents/Summer%20Abroad%20Extended%20Deadline%20and%20Enrollment%20Instructions.pdf

Questions? Contact summer-abroad at ucdavis.edu<mailto:summer-abroad at ucdavis.edu>! We're here to help!