The ACA and the fundamental right to health care

Zietlow, Rebecca E. REBECCA.ZIETLOW at utoledo.edu
Mon Mar 26 12:49:27 PDT 2012

I am happy to agree that the Supreme Court is correct in finding that there is no constitutional right to health care. I prefer that the Court stay away from the realm of economic rights.  Economic rights are positive rights best suited to definition by legislatures.  The Court has by and large taken that position since Carolene Products,  and I think it's a good one.

However, the right to health care is recognized in international law, including in the international convention on human rights.  And, it falls within Congress' power to determine economic rights that are protected by statutes, including the right to health care.

Most of Jon's argument is over policy, which is best suited to legislatures, not courts, to determine.

RZ