Contraceptives and gender discrimination

John Bickers bickersj1 at nku.edu
Sat Feb 11 16:07:57 PST 2012

But this regulation doesn't force anyone to USE birth control.  If an anti-coercion rationale is deployed to cover 'being made to pay for something that one believes is wrong,' than that principle needs to take into account pacifists being made to pay for wars, white supremacists being made to pay for measures designed to help victims of discrimination, and libertarians being made to pay for any number of things.

This is, after all, about a benefit required to be provided by an employer for an employee.  I do not believe that, outside of the ministerial exception, we have generally allowed a religious exemption from employment rules under the principle that the employer should not be required to do acts forbidden by their religion.

Compare Hosanna-Tabor.  Had Ms. Perich remained a lay teacher, does anyone think the Court would have allowed the school to insist that it could not be forced into the civil court system because of its belief that Christians should settle their disputes amicably?

John M. Bickers
Salmon P. Chase College of Law
Northern Kentucky University