First Determinations of Unconstitutionality under the First Amendment?

William Funk funk at lclark.edu
Thu Apr 5 18:34:47 PDT 2012

For general information, off list I was given Lamont v. Postmaster General,
381 U.S. 301 (1965) (federal statute) and Stromberg v. California, 283 U.S.
359 (1931)(state stature).  Apparently, in DC v. Heller, the Supreme Court
said their first case to overturn a state law on a free speech ground was
Near v. Minnesota, 283 U.S. 697 (1931), but Stromberg was decided a month
earlier.

Bill Funk