Filibuster

Josh Chafetz josh-chafetz at lawschool.cornell.edu
Mon Sep 27 12:48:09 PDT 2010

Beyond the justiciability and standing questions, I don't know who you would name as a defendant.  The Speech or Debate Clause means that no Senator can be sued over this issue.  In Powell v. McCormack, the solution is that you can still sue the doorkeeper, sergeant-at-arms, and clerk.  But that solution was dependant on the particular remedy sought there-access to the floor, back pay, and the various services that the clerk performs for members.  I can't see how any non-member officers would be proper defendants here, where the allegation is simply that a Senate rule is unconstitutional.  (And before anyone suggests the parliamentarian as defendant, I would point out that the parliamentarian's role is strictly advisory-he simply advises the presiding officer on procedural matters.  A successful suit against him alone could not force a change in the rulings from the presiding officer, nor could it force the Senate as a body to uphold those rulings.)

But I fail to see why the courts are the right answer, anyway.  Surely, the constitutional arguments here are best addressed to the Senate itself.

Cheers,
Josh

----------------------------
Josh Chafetz