Citizens United (again?)

Marc R Poirier Marc.Poirier at shu.edu
Mon Sep 27 09:50:30 PDT 2010

To me there is a huge difference between a wealthy individual (which is what the Founders would have understood to be implicated by ownership) and a wealthy corporation. Part of my point is that individuals have a life cycle – including children (potentially) and death (certainly); part that human beings have emotions and potentially are subject to compassion (cf. Hannah Arendt), in a way different than corporations run by groups of human beings and subject to various constraints; part that these days many large corporations are fundamentally transnational or anational, whereas I suspect the wealthy individual in the Founders’ time would have had a country and neighbors and often a sense of allegiance.  Abstract universal rights rhetoric and abstract property rhetoric, both, obscure the question of the nature of those who hold the rights or own the property.

Marc R. Poirier
Professor of Law and Martha Traylor Research Scholar
Seton  Hall University School of Law
One Newark Center
Newark, NJ 07102
973-642-8478 (work)
201-259-0896 (cell)
973-642-8546 (fax)
Selected articles and drafts available at http://ssrn.com/author=1268697

Somebody has to plant the seed so that sanity can happen on this earth. -- Chogyam Trungpa, Rinpoche