Feds Sue A & F --corporate "self-definition" and employee self-expression

Humbach, Prof. John A. jhumbach at law.pace.edu
Fri Sep 3 10:40:14 PDT 2010

On corporations' "self-definition"...

It is surely true that corporate liberty has an ambivalent relationship to individual liberty. After all, corporations are run as autocracies. On the other hand, everyone is normally free, in theory at least, to choose whether to have dealings with a particular corporation or not.

However, although all are entitled to express themselves as they please (including in style of dress and appearance), none of us is legally entitled to have others accept or like what we express. It is the liberty of others to reject or even be repelled by expression that they find distasteful or disagreeable.

While corporate liberty is not on a moral par with individual liberty, a corporation's choices should generally be permitted, for pragmatic reasons, to take into account the liberty and personal feelings of their customers and others whose business they are trying to attract--except only that they may not impinge on interests that are protected under the Constitution. That seems, at any rate, to be a fundamental premise of a free market economy.

Whether there should be a further legal exception to protect overtly "religious" expression, as Professor Laycock suggests, is probably still an open question, though I think Professor Hamilton rightly wonders why secular laws should give this special legal preference and shelter to religious as opposed to non-religious expression.

John A. Humbach
takinglibertyseriously.net