Feds Sue A & F over refusal to allow Muslim headscarves in theworkplace

Robert Sheridan rs at robertsheridan.com
Thu Sep 2 08:07:15 PDT 2010

  I agree that these issues are more complicated than the issue of
religious intolerance, which is why I posted the article and the
reader-comment citing undefined "cultural" objections, whatever they
are, and then broadened the subject of inquiry to the burqa ban in
France and the publicly nursing mother in America.

The question:  "Does the Constitution require society to ignore obvious
harm?" suggests that there is an obvious harm in these activities that
isn't quite yet apparent to me.  Is a publicly nursing mother harming
me?  Is a burqa wearing woman harming me?  Is a publicly yarmulka
wearing man harming me?  Is same-sex marriage harming me?

Years ago, police in California cited nude-beach bathers for the crime
of indecent exposure, an offense registrable, for life, as a
sex-offender under California Penal C. Sec. 314.1.  The statute was held
unconstitutional by the California Supreme Court on the ground that
there was nothing necessarily obscene under Miller, nor sexual,
communicated by the nude sunbather at the beach.

Some observers in our culture no doubt have read something sexual, or
obscene, into nudity, considering the general cultural taboo against
going "too far" in public, the quoted words being subject to vague
definition, as in "I know it when I see it."

But "obvious harm?"

Obvious to whom?

rs